- [U]舒适,身心健康 state of being free from suffering, anxiety, pain, etc.; physical well-being
- [U]安慰,帮助 help or kindness to sb who is suffering, consolation
- [C]给予援助或安慰的人或事 sb/sth that brings relief or help
- [C]使人舒服的事物 thing that creates physical ease or well-being
- vt. 安慰,使舒适 give comfort to; make sb feel better
- a state of being relaxed and feeling no pain;
"he is a man who enjoys his comfort"
"she longed for the comfortableness of her armchair"
- a feeling of freedom from worry or disappointment
- the act of consoling; giving relief in affliction;
"his presence was a consolation to her"
- a freedom from financial difficulty that promotes a comfortable state;
"a life of luxury and ease"
"he had all the material comforts of this world"
- satisfaction or physical well-being provided by a person or thing;
"his friendship was a comfort"
"a padded chair was one of the room's few comforts"
- bedding made of two layers of cloth filled with stuffing and stitched together
- assistance, such as that provided to an enemy or to a known criminal;
"it gave comfort to the enemy"
- give moral or emotional strength to
- lessen pain or discomfort; alleviate;
"ease the pain in your legs"
- The dress is carefully styled for maximum comfort.
- First, you need to get out of your comfort zone.
- Humanization design is to upgrade the comfort of operation.
- They are now living in relative comfort.
- He spoke a few words of comfort to me before leaving.
- I offer a mite of comfort to him.
- My husband was a great comfort to me when my son was ill.
- Her children are a great comfort to her.
- I tried to comfort him after he was defeated by his opponent.
- He comforted his back with soft cushions.
There is no comfort in the room.
We could give him no comfort.
I found comfort in his words.
From whom shall I get comfort?
She was a comfort to her old father.
My husband was a great comfort to me when I was ill.
Your letter was a great comfort to me.
Your words have been a great comfort to me.
It's a comfort to be with you.
He liked the comforts of his home.
We now enjoy these comforts of which formerly we had only heard.
He did his best to comfort the old man.
The old lady often comforts those who are in trouble.
The nurse comforted the patient.
Her sister came to comfort her.
They tried to comfort her, but what could they say?
I tried to comfort her after her mother's death.
Neighbours comforted the parents of the injured child.
She brought me something to eat and tried to comfort me.
I tried to comfort the poor girl, and asked where she was going to spend the night.
He did his best to comfort the unfortunate man.
They are comforting the crying girl.
She went to comfort the wounded.
The nurse comforted the patient by tidying up his bed.
The news comforted her.
The thought comforted him.
The child ran to its mother to be comforted.
She will be comforted to learn the news.
She comforted herself that her husband would be home soon.
- be too close for comfort
太…以致让人不舒服、不愉快 be unhappy
The exams were getting too close for comfort. 这次考试太难了,以致让人不舒服。
- 太…以致让人不舒服、不愉快 be unhappy
- cold comfort
使人扫兴的慰藉,算不上什么安慰 so called being comfortable
When Duff lost the race, it was cold comfort to him to hear that he could try again in two weeks. 当达夫输掉了比赛时,两周后可再次比赛对于他来说算不上什么安慰。
- 使人扫兴的慰藉,算不上什么安慰 so called being comfortable
- fond of comfort
喜欢安逸 like being comfortable
As he got older, he became more and more fond of comfort. 随着年龄的增长,他越来越喜欢安逸。
One becomes fond of comfort as he grows old. 人年纪大了,就变得喜欢安逸。
- 喜欢安逸 like being comfortable
- in comfort
He has enough money so that he can live in comfort. 他有很多钱,足可舒舒服服地过日子。
He lived in comfort all his life. 他一辈子过着舒服的日子。
- 舒适地 comfortably
- take comfort from〔in〕
在…中得到安慰 make one feel better from sth
I often take comfort from reading. 我经常从读书中寻求安慰。
I take comfort in books. 我在书中寻求安慰。
- 在…中得到安慰 make one feel better from sth
- comfort for (v.+prep.)
因…而安慰 be comfortable because of sth comfort sb for sth
The teacher comforts her for her failure in the examination.老师安慰她,因为她考试失败了。
His friends came to comfort him for his loss.因为他受了损失,他的朋友们都来安慰他。
The insurance money comforted her for the death of her husband.保险的金额减轻了她对丈夫去世的哀痛。
- 因…而安慰 be comfortable because of sth comfort sb for sth
- comfort with (v.+prep.)
用…安慰某人 make sb feel better with comfort oneself/sb with sth
We comforted soldiers with gifts.我们带着礼物慰劳士兵。
She comforted herself with the view that her husband would come back in a few days.她认为丈夫几天后就会回来的,以此安慰自己。
- 用…安慰某人 make sb feel better with comfort oneself/sb with sth
- comfort station 公共厕所
Others applying for comfort to strong liquors.出自：Henry Fielding
She had..a sense of solemn comfort.出自：George Eliot
Let youre hande now therfore be comforted, and be ye stronge.出自：Bible (Coverdale): 2 Samuel
The water..that conforteth and clereth the syght.出自：R. Copland
- comfort, console
2.就对象来说, comfort一般是别人; console可以是别人,也可以是自己。3.就效果来说, comfort指有时可使其减少忧愁和痛苦,有时可使其振奋和高兴; console则指努力减轻别人的忧伤或暂时忘记忧愁或自我安慰。例如:
- Mother's words of love comforted the sobbing child.
- 母亲充满爱意的话安慰了她哭泣的 孩子。
- Console yourself with the thought that it might have been worse!
- 事情本来可能会糟,用这种想法自我 安慰吧!
- He comforted his back with soft cushions.
- After fire destroyed her house, she con- soled herself with the thought that things might have been worse.
- 大火焚烧了她的房子之后,她自我安 慰说,情况本来可能更糟。
- comfort, relieve, soothe
这三个词都可表示“安慰”。其区别是：comfort指用鼓舞、安慰、希望减少别人的痛苦、伤悲; relieve指能暂时减少些痛苦,以便能容易忍受; soothe意思是缓和痛苦,使其镇静一些。例如:
- He always does what he can to comfort those who are in trouble.
- This is a drug that relieves headaches.
- He'd got very annoyed about it, and it took all her tact to soothe him down.
- 他对此非常生气,她使出各种乖巧的 方法才使他平静下来。
- comfort console ease soothe relieve
误 They live at comfort and luxury.
正 They live in comfort and luxury.
析 表示“处于某种状态”时,通常用介词in,只有在be at war等少数几个短语中才用at,且大多与be连用。
- ☆ 直接源自古法语的conofrt；最初源自晚期拉丁语的conofrtare，意为使人在精神上坚强起来。
- comfort:comfort n. 安慰, 舒适, 安慰者vt. 安慰, 使(痛苦等)缓和习惯用语be of good comfort 振作起来， 鼓起勇气cold comfort 简直不起作用的安慰creatur…