- vt. 咀嚼；嚼碎；深思
- vi. 咀嚼
- n. 咀嚼；咀嚼物
- vt. & vi. 咀嚼; 咬 use the teeth to crush or grind
- vt. & vi. 仔细考虑; 玩味 chew over; think over; consider
a wad of something chewable as tobacco
biting and grinding food in your mouth so it becomes soft enough to swallow
chew (food); to bite and grind with the teeth;
"He jawed his bubble gum"
"Chew your food and don't swallow it!"
"The cows were masticating the grass"
- Many people like to chew mint gum in the summer.
- You must chew your food well before you swallow it.
- Chew your food well before swallow.
- Chew your food properly before swallowing it.
- I'll chew the problem over for a few days.
- I'll give you till tomorrow to chew over.
- Saliva helps one chew and digest food.
- He can't chew without his false teeth.
- I'll think about it while I have a chew.
- Don't bite off more than you can chew.
- His broken jaw made it impossible for him to chew.
- Chew your food slowly.
- The mother told her child to chew food.
- You must always chew the thing carefully.
- He kept chewing gum.
- chew away (v.+adv.)
咬坏 chew sth and destroy it
They have chewed away two hours.
You've been chewing away all afternoon, you can't still be hungry.
你吃了一下午,肯定不会饿了。chew sth ⇔ away
The rats have chewed away some of the woodwork.
The snakes chewed the rats away.
- chew the cud
细想,玩味 consider sth carefully
- chew on (v.+adv.)
细想,仔细考虑 consider sth carefully, especially before reaching a decision
This is a problem for you to chew on.
That is a difficult thing for her to chew on.
那是一件需要她深思的难事。chew sth ⇔ on
We'll chew on your suggestion.
They wanted to chew your problem on.
- chew out (v.+adv.)
严厉责备 scold roughly
chew sb ⇔ out
The policeman chewed out the driver for reckless driving.
The sergeant chewed out the recruits as soon as they arrived.
- chew over (v.+adv.)
充分讨论 discuss at length
- chew the rag〔fat〕
闲聊,聊天 talk together in an idle, friendly fashion; chat
- chew up (v.+adv.)
- chew carefully 细嚼
- chew contentedly 满意地咀嚼
- chew continuously 不断地咀嚼
- chew hungrily 匆忙地嚼
- chew noisily 多杂音地咀嚼
- chew normally 正常咀嚼
- chew placidly 平和地咀嚼
- chew out 训斥
- chew over 深思,细想
- chew over the problems 考虑这个问题
The port wing..was chewed off by the propeller of a Stirling bomber.出自： C. Ryan
- chew, bite, gnaw, nibble, snap
- 这几个词都有“咬,嚼”的意思。其区别在于:bite 是“咬”,即用牙钳住或切断; chew 是“嚼”,即用牙磨碎; gnaw是“啃”,即不断啮咬,例如:
- The dog was gnawing a bone.狗在啃骨头。
- He was gnawing at his fingernails.他在咬指甲。
- snap 是突然猛咬,例如:
- The dog jumped and snapped at his throat.那条狗跳起来猛咬他的喉咙。
- nibble 是“小口地啮咬”。
- 例如:She nibbled at the biscuit.她一点点地咬饼干。