- [C]口,嘴巴 the opening on the face through which a person or animal can take food into the body, and speak to make sounds
- [U]空话,无聊的话; 无礼的话 meaningless; impudent talk
- [C]人,讲话的人 person, speaker
- vt. & vi. (嘴)作出说〔唱〕…的动作 (但不出声) move one's lips as if saying (words) but without making any sound
- vt. & vi. 喃喃地说,心不在焉地说,言不由衷地说 say especially repeatedly and without understanding or sincerity
- the opening through which food is taken in and vocalizations emerge;
"he stuffed his mouth with candy"
- the externally visible part of the oral cavity on the face and the system of organs surrounding the opening;
"she wiped lipstick from her mouth"
- an opening that resembles a mouth (as of a cave or a gorge);
"he rode into the mouth of the canyon"
"they built a fire at the mouth of the cave"
- the point where a stream issues into a larger body of water;
"New York is at the mouth of the Hudson"
- a person conceived as a consumer of food;
"he has four mouths to feed"
- a spokesperson (as a lawyer)
- an impudent or insolent rejoinder;
"don't give me any of your sass"
- the opening of a jar or bottle;
"the jar had a wide mouth"
- express in speech;
"She talks a lot of nonsense"
"This depressed patient does not verbalize"
- articulate silently; form words with the lips only;
"She mouthed a swear word"
- touch with the mouth
- Her mouth is her best feature.
- The dying animal was found foaming at the mouth.
- Seeing that we are confused about her attitude, she had to give mouth to her doubts.
- The sand has silted up the mouth of the river.
- The nurse mouthed the word "quiet".
- He crept into the corner, mouthing curses.
Don't speak with your mouth full.
Open your mouth wider, please.
We speak with our mouths.
A fall of rock blocked the mouth of the cave.
His villa is situated at the mouth of a river.
I don't want any mouth from you!
Every time I open my mouth he contradicts me.
We must keep down the number of useless mouths.
The news spread rapidly from mouth to mouth.
He is the mouth of the House in its relations with the crown.
The new teacher is mouthing in order to show that he is very wise and great.
Where does this creek mouth?
The actor mouthed the words of the recorded song.
He was silently mouthing curses.
He was mouthing the usual platitudes about the need for more compassion.
- all mouth
光说不干 say sth but do not have the courage to actually do
He is not all mouth, he gets results. 他并非光是空谈,他是获得成效的。
His trouble is that he's all mouth and trousers. 他的毛病是光说不做。
- 光说不干 say sth but do not have the courage to actually do
- big mouth
嘴不严,多嘴 talk too much
I just mentioned Jim's girlfriend to his wife—me and my big mouth! 我刚才同吉姆的妻子说到吉姆的女朋友——唉,怪我多嘴!
- 嘴不严,多嘴 talk too much
- by word of mouth
口头通知 inform sb by mouth
I have informed him by word of mouth. 我已口头通知他了。
- 口头通知 inform sb by mouth
- give mouth
说出口 start to say sth
I have an opinion of you, sir, to which it is not easy to give mouth. 先生,我对你有意见,不过很难说出口。
- 说出口 start to say sth
- keep one's mouth shut
保持沉默,一声不吭 reveal a secret, especially of dishonest or criminal activity
He'd better keep his mouth shut or else. 他最好保持沉默,否则。
- 保持沉默,一声不吭 reveal a secret, especially of dishonest or criminal activity
- mouth down (v.+adv.)
吃下 eat down mouth sth ⇔ down
He mouthed down a square of cheese.他吃了一块方干酪。
- 吃下 eat down mouth sth ⇔ down
- mouth off (v.+adv.)
大发议论,自夸地说 speak strongly or as if one knew more than anyone else mouth off
He was mouthing off about the high price of fish.他就鱼价的飞涨大发议论。
- 大发议论,自夸地说 speak strongly or as if one knew more than anyone else mouth off
- button up one's mouth 保持沉默
- close one's mouth 闭嘴
- fill one's mouth full 填满嘴,堵住嘴
- give mouth to 说出,讲出,透露
- have ten mouths to feed 要养十口人
- keep one's mouth shut 守口如瓶
- laugh on the wrong side of one's mouth 失望,悲伤
- leave one's mouth open 使嘴张开
- make one's mouthwater 使人垂涎
- open one's mouth 张嘴
- put words into sb's mouth 教某人说些什么话
- screw up one's mouth 撅起嘴
- shoot off one's mouth 信口开河,夸夸其谈
- shut one's mouth 闭嘴
- stop sb's mouth 不让某人说话,用贿赂堵住某人的口
- take the bread out of one's mouth 夺某人的饭碗
- wipe one's mouth 擦嘴
- beautiful mouth 好看的嘴
- big mouth 碎嘴子,说话冒失的人
- hungry mouths 饥饿的人们
- pretty mouth 好看的嘴
- small mouth 小口
- sweet mouth 甜蜜的嘴
- useless mouth 只吃不做的人
- river mouth 河口
- express by the mouth 口头表达
- by way of mouth 从口(入)
- by word of mouth 口头的
- out of sb's mouth 出自某人之口
- vessel with a small mouth 口很小的容器
- with one mouth 异口同声地
- from mouth to mouth 一个传一个地
- pass from mouth to mouth 被传播
- down in the mouth 忧愁的人
- look down in the mouth 显得很沮丧
- words in everybody's mouth 众人的说法
- in the mouth of 据说
- with full mouth 大声地
- with open mouth 大声地
The cavity of the mouth forms the commencement of the alimentary canal.出自：Encyclopedia Britannica
Sammy had his mouth full of..steak sandwich.出自：B. Schulberg
Who Taught you to mouth that name of 'villain'?出自：Byron
The pompous high-placed imbecile mouthing his platitudes.出自：A. Birrell
Your flat clear voice beside me Mouthed cheerful clear flat platitudes.出自：R. Brooke
- mouth的基本意思是人或动物的“口”“嘴巴”,还可喻指“口状物”,如河口,山谷口,洞穴口,容器口,喷口,钳口,(乐器等)吹口,炮口等,且常由of引起的短语作后置定语修饰非生命物体之“口”, mouth引申还可表示“说话”,往往都带有贬义。
误 He kissed her on mouth.
误 He kissed her on his mouth.
正 He kissed her on the mouth.
误 Don't try to talk with a mouth of food.
正 Don't try to talk with a mouthful of food.
析 mouth指“口,嘴”; 表示“一口,满口”,应该说mouthful。
误 She stared at him, the mouth open.
误 She stared at him, her mouth open.
正 She stared at him, mouth open.
误 Three men came marching along, pipe in mouths and swords in hand.
正 Three men came marching along, pipe in mouth and sword in hand.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的mtuh；最初源自原始日耳曼语的munthaz，意为嘴，门。
- mouth:mouth n. 口, 嘴习惯用语A close mouth catches no flies. [谚]嘴唇闭紧, 苍蝇难进; 口紧不招祸; 祸从口出。as like sb. as if he [sh…