- 很坏的; 极讨厌的 (especially spoken) very bad or unpleasant
- 非常的; 很多的; 过多的 (especially spoken) used to emphasize sth, especially that there is a large amount or too much of sth
- 非常; 极其 very; extremely; used for emphasizing what you are saying
- exceptionally bad or displeasing;
"an awful voice"
"a painful performance"
"an unspeakable odor came sweeping into the room"
- causing fear or dread or terror;
"the awful war"
"an awful risk"
"a career or vengeance so direful that London was shocked"
"the dread presence of the headmaster"
"polio is no longer the dreaded disease it once was"
"a dreadful storm"
"a fearful howling"
"horrendous explosions shook the city"
"a terrible curse"
- offensive or even (of persons) malicious;
"in a nasty mood"
"a nasty accident"
"a nasty shock"
"a nasty smell"
"a nasty trick to pull"
"Will he say nasty things at my funeral?"
- inspired by a feeling of fearful wonderment or reverence;
"awed by the silence"
"awful worshippers with bowed heads"
- extreme in degree or extent or amount or impact;
"in a frightful hurry"
"spent a frightful amount of money"
- inspiring awe or admiration or wonder;
"New York is an amazing city"
"the Grand Canyon is an awe-inspiring sight"
"the awesome complexity of the universe"
"this sea, whose gently awful stirrings seem to speak of some hidden soul beneath"
"Westminster Hall's awing majesty, so vast, so high, so silent"
- used as intensifiers;
"I'm awful sorry"
- It would be awful if he found out the truth.
- He seemed to be very awful while serving the famous actress.
- I feel awful about not inviting her.
- She said she had a sore throat and was feeling awful.
- These weeks is an awful long time to wait.
It was an awful film.
That's an awful colour.
This is really an awful movie.
The room is (in) an awful mess.
His death was an awful experience to his mother.
Flooding three hundred acres of rice is really an awful pity.
Westminster Hall has an awful majesty, so vast, so high, and so silent.
That's an awful thing to say.
An awful accident has happened.
What an awful accident has happened!
What an awful weather we are having!
He is an awful nuisance.
He's an awful actor.
He was an awful miser.
He died an awful death.
She has an awful voice.
She lent me an awful book.
He felt the awful power of God.
He had the awful feeling that everyone was laughing at him.
He was guilty of the awful crime of murder.
He made an awful fuss about me being late.
He took an awful chance by driving here so fast.
I had an awful job persuading him to come.
I have had an awful day at the office.
I made an awful fool of myself last night, didn't I?
She did not say a word, being overpowered with awful fear.
She was married to that awful man.
They committed the most awful atrocities.
They took an awful chance.
We had an awful holiday, it snowed every day.
We are having awful weather this week, rain and high wind.
The tourists met with an awful storm during the journey.
The president is heading for an awful beating in the next election.
The astronauts know the awful expanse of the solar system.
There's an awful smell in here.
There were these awful people sitting behind us who talked all through the film.
It's an awful shame to waste all this good food.
It was an awful risk to take on that job, but it proved worthwhile in the end.
The weather is awful today.
The pain was awful.
The smell was absolutely awful.
The appearance of the giant was truly awful.
It's terrible in there—the heat and smoking are awful.
It would be awful if they found out.
Would life be so awful without a car?
Do you feel awful?
She said she had a sore throat and was feeling awful.
My head feels awful—I think I must have flu.
What's wrong? You look awful.
You look awful. Have you seen a doctor?
I don't like these curtains. They look awful.
Gas smells awful.
She refused to eat the food because it smelt awful.
That food smells awful—is it safe to eat?
This wine tastes awful.
I feel awful about forgetting her birthday.
I feel awful about not inviting her.
I'm awful at remembering names.
The situation is awful for all of us.
His sufferings were awful to see.
It was awful to see him in such pain.
It was awful to work there.
It is awful working there.
It was awful that they were reprimanded because of my mistake.
It's awful that we had to go through with it.
She was awful nice.
She's awful cute.
Clint is awful smart.
I was awful surprised.
I am awful glad you were able to come.
I'm awful sorry that I hurt your feelings.
I'm awful sorry, we haven't got any.
It takes an awful long while.
It was awful difficult trying to talk to her.
- an awful lot
〈非正〉十分,大量,经常,很大程度上very much; very often; to a great extent
I never liked her an awful lot, though I couldn't say why. 我从来就不怎么喜欢她,但我也说不出什么原因。
I don't know an awful lot about art, but I'm learning. 我对艺术懂得不多,但我正在学。
- 〈非正〉十分,大量,经常,很大程度上very much; very often; to a great extent
- an awful lot of
〈非正〉大量,很多a great number of amount of sb/sth
I have got an awful lot of work to do. 我有很多很多的工作要做。
He talked an awful lot of nonsense. 他讲了一大堆废话。
It must have taken an awful lot of courage. 想必是鼓足了极大的勇气。
It's going to cost an awful lot of money. 这要花非常多的钱。
There's not an awful lot of room. 没有很多的空间。
There were an awful lot of people just standing around. 有那么多人就在旁边闲站着。
- 〈非正〉大量,很多a great number of amount of sb/sth
- awful accident 可怕的事故
- awful behaviour 极坏的行为
- awful book 非常糟糕的书
- awful bore 很令人厌烦的人(或物)
- awful death 惨死
- awful destruction 可怕的破坏
- awful disaster 可怕的灾害
- awful earthquake 可怕的地震
- awful food 极坏的食物
- awful handwriting 很蹩脚的书法
- awful hat 很难看的帽子
- awful headache 剧烈的头痛
- awful joke 令人不愉快的玩笑
- awful journey 令人不愉快的旅行
- awful man 讨厌的男人
- awful manners 讨厌的举止
- awful mess 乱七八糟
- awful miser 极吝啬的人
- awful mistake 不可原谅的错误
- awful moment 可怕的时刻
- awful movie 糟糕的电影
- awful nuisance 惹人厌烦的家伙
- awful person 使人讨厌的人
- awful shame 极大的耻辱,奇耻大辱
- awful sight 可怕的景象
- awful silence 令人尴尬的沉默
- awful squad 一群不熟练的新手
- awful tie 难看的领带
- awful toothache 牙痛得要命
- awful tragedy 可怕的悲剧
- awful weather 非常糟糕的天气
- taste awful 很难喝
The grim and awful cataclysm of war.出自：W. S. Churchill
- awful 从构词角度上看,是awe加后缀-ful构成的形容词。它的基本词义是 inspiring awe(引起恐惧,令人畏惧),但在现代英语,特别是口语中,这个词差不多总是用于“坏的”“讨厌的”“使人不愉快的”“非常的,极大的”等意思。
- awful 作“非常的; 很多的; 过多的”解时不用于比较等级。
- 在非正式英语中,尤其是美式英语中, awful可用作副词,作“很; 非常; 十分”解,但只用在形容词或过去分词之前,而不用在动词之后。
- awful, afraid, fearful, frightful, horrible, scared, terrible
这组词都有“可怕的”“害怕的”意思。其区别在于:afraid泛指一种“恐惧心理”,多用于习惯地、经常地“惧怕”; awful指由于过分的崇敬或畏惧而引起的害怕,但不厌恶,有较庄严的含义; fearful指预感到危险、失败或麻烦时而恐惧,也指担心可能发生的结果,侧重于主体的心里感觉,而与外界关系不大; scared主要指因身心遭受伤害而恐惧,也指不明根源的无形恐惧; frightful指巨大的或令人意外的事件给人带来的害怕或惊骇; terrible和horrible都可指感情上的厌恶,令人感到不舒服, horrible更甚,指碰到的怪诞的、丑陋的、危险的事物或道德上腐败堕落的行为所引起的强烈的情绪波动,还特指依靠恐怖的或可怕的事物取得吓人的效果。例如:We are afraid to walk in the park at night since the woman was killed there.我们害怕夜里在那公园里走路,因为那个女人是在那儿被害的。The old man believed that God has an awful power.这位老人相信上帝具有令人敬畏的能力。The playwright was fearful that the opening night would be a failure.剧作家担心首场演出会失败。Frightful earthquakes occur somewhere on the earth every year.每年地球上常不定期在什么地方发生可怕的地震。A horrible sight met her eyes.一幅令人毛骨悚然的景象出现在她的眼前。Nothing can erase from her mind the memory of that terrible day.没有什么东西可以消除她头脑里对那可怕的一天的记忆。
- afraid fearful awful dreadful frightful terrible horrible terrific appalling
- ☆ 1300年左右进入英语，直接源自古英语的egelufl，意为令人害怕的。
- adj.(形容词) alarming bad base redoubtable displeasing distressing dreadful fearful frightful horrible horrifying low mean monstrous reprehensible shocking terrible ugly unpleasant
- awfully adv. 恶劣地; 非常; (使人)敬畏地
- awful:awful adj. 可怕的, 威严的, 极度的, 糟糕的 英英解释:形容词awful:1. exceptionally bad or displeasing同义词：atrocious, abomin…