express the need or desire for; ask for;
"She requested an extra bed in her room"
"She called for room service"
require as useful, just, or proper;
"It takes nerve to do what she did"
"success usually requires hard work"
"This job asks a lot of patience and skill"
"This position demands a lot of personal sacrifice"
"This dinner calls for a spectacular dessert"
"This intervention does not postulate a patient's consent"
request the participation or presence of;
"The organizers invite submissions of papers for the conference"
gather or collect;
"You can get the results on Monday"
"She picked up the children at the day care center"
"They pick up our trash twice a week"
- The situation calls for prompt action.
- The negotiations will call for considerable dexterity.
- They called for a radical reform of our tax system.
- We will call for her early tomorrow morning.
- The forecast calls for snow flurries later tonight.
- The regulations call for working in three shifts.
- The bricklayer on the roof was calling for more tiles.