- vt. & vi. 懂; 理解 grasp the meaning of (words, a language, a person, etc.)
- vt. & vi. 听说,获悉 have been informed; find out (a fact)
- know and comprehend the nature or meaning of;
"She did not understand her husband"
"I understand what she means"
- perceive (an idea or situation) mentally;
"Now I see!"
"I just can't see your point"
"Does she realize how important this decision is?"
"I don't understand the idea"
- make sense of a language;
"She understands French"
"Can you read Greek?"
- believe to be the case;
"I understand you have no previous experience?"
- be understanding of;
"You don't need to explain--I understand!"
- He is trying his best to understand his meaning.
- I don't understand what you're talking about.
- If you can't do it, I will understand.
- I don't fully understand his reasons for leaving.
- I understand that you will be moving here soon.
- I understand that you are now married.
- We understand your corporation handles foodstuffs for export.
I didn't understand.
The people listen but will not understand.
Do animals understand?
Don't always rely on others to understand and sympathize.
My wife doesn't understand me.
We understand the teacher when he speaks to us in English.
I can't understand modern literature.
I don't understand the point of his remark.
I've read the letter but I don't understand it.
I understand the meaning of this word, but I don't know how to use it.
This has helped the people of China and other countries to understand each other better.
She could not understand his failure to attend the meeting.
Now I'm understanding it a little better.
This must be clearly understood by everyone engaged in the work.
Do you understand what to do next?
She doesn't understand how to look after you.
Do you understand how to repair the machine?
We understand how to use electricity, but we do not fully understand what it is.
I can't understand neglecting children like that.
I can't understand his resigning his job.
I just can't understand his taking the money.
I can't understand him behaving like that.
I can't understand him speaking like that.
I can't understand him leaving so suddenly.
Little by little you'll understand that you've taken the wrong road.
You will of course understand that my point of view is different.
We understand that you'll be returning next year.
I understand that Mr.Angus is going to marry Miss Ada.
They understood that we were Chinese, and they wanted to speak with us for a few minutes.
I understood from him that you had lost both parents.
It is understood that hard work can bring success.
It's generally understood that this will be a good chance to exchange experience.
You don't understand what a difficult position I'm in.
I understand how you feel.
Do you understand how this machine works?
I can't understand why he failed.
I do not quite understand why you asked me these questions.
They could not understand why he spent all his time in the laboratory.
It is easy to understand why he was angry.
I understand him to be a distant relation.
I understood him to be willing to help.
He is understood to be a man of ability.
He is understood to be fit for the job.
I understood him to say that he wouldn't be able to come.
The president is understood to have left the country secretly.
He is,I understand, no longer here.
These things work,I understand, on the principle of nuclear fusion.
- give to understand (that)...
使(某人)理解、相信或认为 cause (sb) to believe or have the idea that... give sb to understand (that)...
His glance gave me to understand that he agreed with me.他这一瞥,使我懂得他同意了我的意思。
I was given to understand that it was not true.我知道这一切不是真的。
We were given to understand that the accommodation was free.给我们的感觉是住宿是免费的。
- 使(某人)理解、相信或认为 cause (sb) to believe or have the idea that... give sb to understand (that)...
- make oneself understood
将自己的意思表达清楚 make one's meaning clear
I find it difficult to make myself understood. 我发现,要想把自己的意思表达清楚并不容易。
I tried speaking English to them, but couldn't make myself understood. 我试着和他们用英语说,但他们听不懂。
- 将自己的意思表达清楚 make one's meaning clear
- understand by (v.+prep.)
认为…的含义是… regard (a meaning) as belonging to (usually a word or words) understand sth by sth
What do you understand by justice ?你对justice怎样解释?
I understand by your remark that you intend leaving the firm.从你的言谈话语中,我看出你打算离开公司。
- 认为…的含义是… regard (a meaning) as belonging to (usually a word or words) understand sth by sth
- understand English 懂英语
- understand finance 熟知财政
- understand sb's attitude 理解某人的态度
- understand sb's explanation 理解某人的解释
- understand sb's feeling 理解某人的心情
- understand the importance of 懂得…的重要性
- understand the meaning of 理会…的意思
- understand the seriousness of 懂得…的严重性
- understand the significance of 懂得…的意义
- understand the situation 理解局势
- understand the truth 明白真相
- understand wrong 误解
- understand accurately 精确地理解
- understand assuredly 自信地理解
- understand clearly 清楚地懂得
- understand cleverly 聪明地理解
- understand distinctly 清晰地理解
- understand easily 容易理解
- understand eventually 最终理解
- understand exceptionally 特别理解
- understand expressly 快速地理解
- understand fully 充分理解
- understand intimately 精通地理解
- understand keenly 聪明地理解
- understand literally 字面上地理解
- understand perfectly 完全理解
- understand properly 恰当地理解
- understand shrewdly 精明地理解
- understand subtly 细微地理解
- understand sympathetically 同情地理解
- understand tacitly 心照不宣地理解
- understand theoretically 从理论上理解
- understand thoroughly 透彻地理解
- understand vaguely 模糊地理解
Only then..I understood the loneliness of the man in charge.出自：J. Conrad
She had considered Ronald's contribution..scholarly and enlightening, although she hadn't understood it.出自：A. T. Ellis
- understand的基本意思是“懂,理解”,可指理解某人或某事,也可指认为或以为某人或某事是什么。可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词。用作及物动词时,可接名词、代词、动名词、带疑问词的动词不定式、that从句及疑问词从句作宾语,还可接以“to be+ n./adj. ”或动词不定式充当补足语的复合宾语。understand接动名词作宾语时,该宾语常可带名词或代词的属格或宾格表示其逻辑主体。
- I understand作“听说,获悉”解时,指从获得的情报、消息、情况等中得出结论、推测,一般用于比较正式的场合,可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词。用作及物动词时,主要接that从句作宾语,还可接以动词不定式充当补足语的复合宾语。
- make oneself understood, make sb understand
这两个短语意思不同:make oneself understood表示“使自己被人理解”, make sb understand则表示“使某人理解”。例如:
- Can he make himself understood in Eng- lish?
- I tried to make him understand the mean- ing of the word.
- understand, appreciate, comprehend, see
这组词都有“明白”或“理解”的意思。其区别在于：1.see的基本意思可指一般视觉的“看见”,也可指有意识地“观察”,引申可表示由观察而“领会”“理解”。2.comprehend指用智力充分而完全地理解事物的内在含义。例如:The child read the story but didn't comprehend its full meaning.那孩子看了这篇故事,但没有理解它的全部意思。If you can use a word correctly and effectively you comprehend it.如果你能正确、有效地使用一个词,你就是了解它了。3.understand则是明白别人说的话,完全了解某种事实。例如:My wife doesn't understand me.我的妻子不理解我。I've read the letter but I don't understand it.这封信我已经看过了,可是看不懂。4.appreciate指对某物有较深的理解能力,强调“欣赏”。例如:She appreciated a work of art.她欣赏一件艺术品。I am incapable of appreciating classical music.我不会欣赏古典音乐。
- understand, know, learn
这组词都有“了解”的意思。它们的区别是:know指对某一事物的直接了解或通过体验、传授获得知识; learn意为“听说”“得知”,强调对某一具体事物从“不知”到“知”的变化; understand指对某事物的性质、规律、意义等都十分了解,而且还指了解它所包含的其他意义和关系,其程度要比know了解得更深、更广。例如:How had he learned that secret?他怎么得知这个秘密的?They were greatly surprised to learn the news.听到这个消息,他们都很吃惊。Do you understand the difficulty of my position?你了解我处境的困难吗?
- know learn comprehend understand
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的udnerstadnan，意为理解、领悟。
- understand:understand v. 懂, 了解, 听说, 推定, 以为, 省略 英英解释:动词understand:1. know and comprehend the nature or meaning o…