- v. 懂得；明白；理解；认识到；听说；获悉
- vt. & vi. 懂; 理解 grasp the meaning of (words, a language, a person, etc.)
- vt. & vi. 听说,获悉 have been informed; find out (a fact)
know and comprehend the nature or meaning of;
"She did not understand her husband"
"I understand what she means"
perceive (an idea or situation) mentally;
"Now I see!"
"I just can't see your point"
"Does she realize how important this decision is?"
"I don't understand the idea"
make sense of a language;
"She understands French"
"Can you read Greek?"
believe to be the case;
"I understand you have no previous experience?"
be understanding of;
"You don't need to explain--I understand!"
- He is trying his best to understand his meaning.
- I don't understand what you're talking about.
- If you can't do it, I will understand.
- I don't fully understand his reasons for leaving.
- You must understand the gravity of the situation.
- I understand that you will be moving here soon.
- I understand that you are now married.
- We understand your corporation handles foodstuffs for export.
- I didn't understand.
- The people listen but will not understand.
- Do animals understand?
- Don't always rely on others to understand and sympathize.
- My wife doesn't understand me.
- We understand the teacher when he speaks to us in English.
- I can't understand modern literature.
- I don't understand the point of his remark.
- I've read the letter but I don't understand it.
- I understand the meaning of this word, but I don't know how to use it.
- This has helped the people of China and other countries to understand each other better.
- She could not understand his failure to attend the meeting.
- Now I'm understanding it a little better.
- This must be clearly understood by everyone engaged in the work.
- Do you understand what to do next?
- She doesn't understand how to look after you.
- Do you understand how to repair the machine?
- We understand how to use electricity, but we do not fully understand what it is.
- I can't understand neglecting children like that.
- I can't understand his resigning his job.
- I just can't understand his taking the money.
- I can't understand him behaving like that.
- I can't understand him speaking like that.
- I can't understand him leaving so suddenly.
- Little by little you'll understand that you've taken the wrong road.
- You will of course understand that my point of view is different.
- We understand that you'll be returning next year.
- I understand that Mr.Angus is going to marry Miss Ada.
- They understood that we were Chinese, and they wanted to speak with us for a few minutes.
- I understood from him that you had lost both parents.
- It is understood that hard work can bring success.
- It's generally understood that this will be a good chance to exchange experience.
- You don't understand what a difficult position I'm in.
- I understand how you feel.
- Do you understand how this machine works?
- I can't understand why he failed.
- I do not quite understand why you asked me these questions.
- They could not understand why he spent all his time in the laboratory.
- It is easy to understand why he was angry.
- I understand him to be a distant relation.
- I understood him to be willing to help.
- He is understood to be a man of ability.
- He is understood to be fit for the job.
- I understood him to say that he wouldn't be able to come.
- The president is understood to have left the country secretly.
- He is,I understand, no longer here.
- These things work,I understand, on the principle of nuclear fusion.
- give to understand (that)...
使(某人)理解、相信或认为 cause (sb) to believe or have the idea that...
give sb to understand (that)\u002e\u002e\u002e
His glance gave me to understand that he agreed with me.
I was given to understand that it was not true.
We were given to understand that the accommodation was free.
- make oneself understood
将自己的意思表达清楚 make one's meaning clear
- understand by (v.+prep.)
认为…的含义是… regard (a meaning) as belonging to (usually a word or words)
understand sth by sth
What do you understand by justice ?
I understand by your remark that you intend leaving the firm.
- understand English 懂英语
- understand finance 熟知财政
- understand sb's attitude 理解某人的态度
- understand sb's explanation 理解某人的解释
- understand sb's feeling 理解某人的心情
- understand the importance of 懂得…的重要性
- understand the meaning of 理会…的意思
- understand the seriousness of 懂得…的严重性
- understand the significance of 懂得…的意义
- understand the situation 理解局势
- understand the truth 明白真相
- understand wrong 误解
- understand accurately 精确地理解
- understand assuredly 自信地理解
- understand clearly 清楚地懂得
- understand cleverly 聪明地理解
- understand distinctly 清晰地理解
- understand easily 容易理解
- understand eventually 最终理解
- understand exceptionally 特别理解
- understand expressly 快速地理解
- understand fully 充分理解
- understand intimately 精通地理解
- understand keenly 聪明地理解
- understand literally 字面上地理解
- understand perfectly 完全理解
- understand properly 恰当地理解
- understand shrewdly 精明地理解
- understand subtly 细微地理解
- understand sympathetically 同情地理解
- understand tacitly 心照不宣地理解
- understand theoretically 从理论上理解
- understand thoroughly 透彻地理解
- understand vaguely 模糊地理解
Only then..I understood the loneliness of the man in charge.出自： J. Conrad
She had considered Ronald's contribution..scholarly and enlightening, although she hadn't understood it.出自： A. T. Ellis
- understand的基本意思是“懂,理解”,可指理解某人或某事,也可指认为或以为某人或某事是什么。可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词。用作及物动词时,可接名词、代词、动名词、带疑问词的动词不定式、that从句及疑问词从句作宾语,还可接以“to be+ n./adj. ”或动词不定式充当补足语的复合宾语。understand接动名词作宾语时,该宾语常可带名词或代词的属格或宾格表示其逻辑主体。
- I understand作“听说,获悉”解时,指从获得的情报、消息、情况等中得出结论、推测,一般用于比较正式的场合,可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词。用作及物动词时,主要接that从句作宾语,还可接以动词不定式充当补足语的复合宾语。
- make oneself understood, make sb understand
- 这两个短语意思不同:make oneself understood表示“使自己被人理解”, make sb understand则表示“使某人理解”。例如:
- Can he make himself understood in Eng- lish?
- I tried to make him understand the mean- ing of the word.
- understand, appreciate, comprehend, see
- The child read the story but didn't comprehend its full meaning.那孩子看了这篇故事,但没有理解它的全部意思。
- If you can use a word correctly and effectively you comprehend it.如果你能正确、有效地使用一个词,你就是了解它了。
- My wife doesn't understand me.我的妻子不理解我。
- I've read the letter but I don't understand it.这封信我已经看过了,可是看不懂。
- She appreciated a work of art.她欣赏一件艺术品。
- I am incapable of appreciating classical music.我不会欣赏古典音乐。
- understand, know, learn
- 这组词都有“了解”的意思。它们的区别是:know指对某一事物的直接了解或通过体验、传授获得知识; learn意为“听说”“得知”,强调对某一具体事物从“不知”到“知”的变化; understand指对某事物的性质、规律、意义等都十分了解,而且还指了解它所包含的其他意义和关系,其程度要比know了解得更深、更广。例如:
- How had he learned that secret?他怎么得知这个秘密的?
- They were greatly surprised to learn the news.听到这个消息,他们都很吃惊。
- Do you understand the difficulty of my position?你了解我处境的困难吗?
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的understandan，意为理解、领悟。