- vt. 想像；设想；料想；猜想；认为
- vi. 想像
- vt. 想象,设想 form a mental image of sth
- vt. 料想,猜想 think of sth as probable or possible
form a mental image of something that is not present or that is not the case;
"Can you conceive of him as the president?"
expect, believe, or suppose;
"I imagine she earned a lot of money with her new novel"
"I thought to find her in a bad state"
"he didn't think to find her in the kitchen"
"I guess she is angry at me for standing her up"
- You can imagine how surprised I was.
- It is hard to imagine the scale of the universe.
- Imagine yourself to be on a desert island.
- I imagine he will come tomorrow.
- I imagine she'll have finished her homework by seven o'clock.
- I can't imagine what Noah had in mind.
- He imagines that people don't like him, but they do.
- I can imagine the scene clearly in my mind.
- We can hardly imagine life without electricity.
- You can little imagine my surprise.
- I thought I heard someone shout, but I must have imagined it because there is no one there.
- He is always imagining dangers that don't exist.
- Hardly had I closed my eyes when I began to imagine the most fantastic.
- It was easily be imagined.
- It can be better imagined than described.
- His elation may well be imagined.
- I cannot imagine what to do in this dreadful situation.
- I cannot imagine how to do it.
- I can't imagine living with a drunk.
- I can't imagine lying like that. I would go crazy.
- She imagined walking into the office and telling everyone what she thought of them.
- I can't imagine living without water or electricity in summer.
- I can't imagine my marrying a girl of that sort.
- Can you imagine their climbing the Great Wall?
- Can you imagine that you are in a spaceship to the moon?
- Do you imagine they will help?
- Don't imagine that you are the only person in trouble.
- Don't imagine that I can lend you money every time you need it.
- You don't imagine it is true.
- I don't imagine that taxes will be reduced this year.
- I don't imagine they will come if it rains.
- Just imagine someone were following us.
- “Does she know what kind of tablets she's taken today?”“I imagine so.”
- “Do you imagine they will help us?”“I imagine not.”
- I cannot imagine what life on the moon would be like.
- What would happen next she could not imagine .
- Can you imagine what it would be like to live without electricity?
- I can't imagine why people speak against her.
- You can't imagine how difficult it is to get away from the office.
- I can't imagine how excited you are to see your son again after such a long time.
- You can imagine how I missed you all.
- She imagines herself to be a bird.
- He imagined himself as manager of the company.
- I had imagined you as a big tall man.
- We tried to imagine ourselves as old men.
- He likes to imagine himself president.
- He imagines everything to be easy.
- Don't imagine your husband to be always wrong.
- I imagine her safe.
- I imagined her slight and frail.
- I have never imagined anything so magnificent.
- Our producers should constantly imagine themselves to be in the consumer's position.
- You should imagine yourself to be in your father's place.
- I imagined yourself to be on a desert.
- Can you imagine him becoming a famous singer?
- The little girl sometimes imagines herself becoming rich.
- Imagine yourself sitting on the beach in the sun.
- You can hardly imagine young children saying such dirty words.
- Try to imagine you being on the moon.
- Can you imagine me being so stupid?
- He imagined himself insulted.
- They imagined your ship wrecked.
- imagine accidents 想象事故
- imagine astonishment 想象吃惊(的神情)
- imagine dangers 想象危险
- imagine life 想象生活
- imagine one's sufferings 想象某人的苦难
- imagine oneself to be always correct 以为自己总是对的
- imagine stories 编造故事
- imagine the desert 想象沙漠
- imagine the scene 想象情景
- imagine the situation there 想想那里的情况
- imagine blindly 盲目地设想
- imagine bravely 勇敢地设想
- imagine clearly 清楚地想象出
- imagine consciously 有意识地设想
- imagine constantly 经常设想
- imagine continually 不断设想
- imagine dejectedly 沮丧地设想
- imagine delightedly 高兴地想象
- imagine delightfully 愉快地设想
- imagine despairingly 绝望地设想
- imagine dimly 模糊地想象
- imagine dramatically 戏剧化地设想
- imagine easily 容易想象出
- imagine foolishly 愚蠢地设想
- imagine freely 随意地设想
- imagine generally 一般想象
- imagine incessantly 持续不断地设想
- imagine intelligently 聪明地想象
- imagine passively 消极地想象
- imagine philosophically 冷静地设想
- imagine phlegmatically 冷淡地设想
- imagine probably 可能地想象
- imagine quickly 迅速地设想
- imagine vividly 生动地想象
- imagine widely 广泛地设想
- imagine willingly 乐意想象
These are really show birds. We can't imagine where they come from.sssss J. le Carr&eacusc;出自： ssssW. Wharton
- imagine是及物动词,其主语一般是表示人的名词或代词。在表示“想象某人〔物〕〔事〕可能存在或发生”时,可接sb/sth; 在表示“想象或认为某人做某事”时,可接名词、代词或动名词作宾语; 在表示“把某人〔物〕〔事〕想象成…”时,可接由名词、代词、形容词、现在分词、过去分词作宾语补足语的复合宾语; 而在表示“想象…”或“假定…”时则可接that/what从句。
- imagine之后不能接动词不定式作宾语,也不能用在除to be之外的动词不定式作宾语补足语。imagine一般不用于进行时,可用于被动结构。
- imagine, guess, suppose
- imagine指没有事实根据,仅凭主观想象进行猜想; guess指未经认真思索而进行猜想,有时指不着边际地瞎猜; suppose指依据某些事实进行探索性的推测。例如:
- I guess you've already known the answer.我想你已经知道答案了。
- I suppose he is late again.我想他又迟到了。
- imagine, conceive, fancy, think
- 这组词的共同意思是“在思想中形成一个看法或观点”。其区别在于:think指想起一个主意或观念,也指思考反思得出结论或作出判断,或认真的思想活动,或在头脑中形成鲜明的形象或清楚的看法或作出打算或目的; conceive指在头脑中组织好自己的思想,强调通过思考而形成一个见解; imagine强调形象的思维; fancy强调形象的不真实或想法的不正确,有时甚至侧重脱离事实、想入非非。例如:
- The Wright brothers conceived the design of the first motor-powered plane.莱特兄弟设计出了第一架动力驱动飞机的图样。
- Try to imagine being on the moon.想象一下你在月球上。
- Don't fancy that you can succeed without hard work.别以为你不努力就能取得成功。
- I imagine him to be a big, tall man.
- I imagine him a big, tall man.
- I imagine him as a big, tall man.
误 She is imagining that there is a smell of burning in the flat.
正 She imagines that there is a smell of burning in the flat.
误 I can't imagine to live without electricity.
正 I can't imagine living without electricity.
误 I imagine these young people weren't your students.
正 I don't imagine these young people were your students.
误 I imagined that I had met him before, didn't I?
正 I imagined that I had met him before, hadn't I?
误 Do you imagine how far it is from here?
正 How far do you imagine it is from here?
- ☆ 14世纪中期进入英语，直接源自古法语的imaginer；最初源自古典拉丁语的imaginari，意为形成一个想像的图片，想像。