- adj. 粗糙的；粗略的，大概的；粗暴的；艰难的；讨厌的；不适的；汹涌的
- adv. 粗糙地；粗暴地
- n. 粗制品；暴徒；高低不平的路面
- vt. 使粗糙；殴打；草拟
- 粗糙的 having an uneven surface; not smooth
- 粗野的,粗暴的 showing a lack of gentleness, good manners, orconsideration etc.
- 混乱的,暴乱的,喧闹的 not gentle or tuneful
- 艰难的,不愉快的 unfortunate and unfair; unwell
- 粗略的,大致的 done or made without attention to detail or exactness; approximate
- 未加工的,粗制的 not delicate or comfortable; simple
- 狂暴的,汹涌的 stormy and violent; not calm
- 简陋地 in uncomfortable condition
- 粗暴地 using force
- 大致地 not in a gentle way
- vt. 使粗糙 make untidy or uneven
- vt. 过简陋的生活 live without the usual comforts and conveniences of life
the part of a golf course bordering the fairway where the grass is not cut short
having or caused by an irregular surface;
"trees with rough bark"
"his unsmooth face"
(of persons or behavior) lacking refinement or finesse;
"she was a diamond in the rough"
not quite exact or correct;
"the approximate time was 10 o'clock"
"a rough guess"
"a ballpark estimate"
full of hardship or trials;
"the rocky road to success"
"they were having a rough time"
violently agitated and turbulent;
"boisterous winds and waves"
"the fierce thunders roar me their music"
unpleasantly harsh or grating in sound;
"a gravelly voice"
ready and able to resort to force or violence;
"pugnacious spirits...lamented that there was so little prospect of an exhilarating disturbance"
"they were rough and determined fighting men"
of the margin of a leaf shape; having the edge cut or fringed or scalloped
causing or characterized by jolts and irregular movements;
"a rough ride"
not shaped by cutting or trimming;
"an uncut diamond"
not carefully or expertly made;
"managed to make a crude splint"
"a crude cabin of logs with bark still on them"
"a rough draft"
"a few rough sketches"
"wild and harsh country full of hot sand and cactus"
"the nomad life is rough and hazardous"
unkind or cruel or uncivil;
"had harsh words"
"a harsh and unlovable old tyrant"
"a rough answer"
with roughness or violence (`rough' is an informal variant for `roughly');
"he was pushed roughly aside"
"they treated him rough"
with rough motion as over a rough surface;
prepare in preliminary or sketchy form
- The rough road made the car vibrate.
- You'd better give us a rough idea of your price.
- It is only a rough guide to ideal weight.
- They complained rough handling by the police.
- I feel a bit rough--I'm going to bed.
- He is now able to play rough and tumble with the other kids.
- I think that new singer is a diamond in the rough.
- Write it in rough and then copy it.
- We only saw the new painting in the rough.
- Micro-exfoliators help slough away rough, dull, uneven skin for a more radiant complexion.
- The gang decided to rough him up,as a warning to others.
- The cat had a rough tongue.
- They knocked together a rough box with wooden boards.
- He took some nails and bits of wood, and built them into a rough cupboard.
- In the dark our jeep bumped along the rough mountain road.
- The Poet's rough life contrasts with his sensitive poetry.
- We had rather a rough time.
- It is a rough idea.
- It's just a rough drawing.
- It was a rough but plentiful dinner with a rough country wine.
- It's just a very rough translation.
- If you give me the rough draft of your article I'll lick it into shape for you.
- He files away the rough edges.
- He wears a rough linen shirt and white short pants.
- As the jewel was in the rough state, he had no idea what size it would be when cut.
- The ship-wrecked sailors were able to fit a rough shelter together from building materials that they found on the island.
- Would it be wise to launch into this rough sea?
- The ship was badly knocked about by a rough sea.
- This paper feels rough.
- I think Jones has tended to get just a little rough.
- His reply was a bit rough.
- Should the weather be rough, we won't be able to go riding.
- The water was rough and, despite our low speed, we were drenched by spray.
- The trip was rough.
- Things are rough all over.
- She is rough in speech.
- He is rough in manner.
- It's rather rough on him, having to work when other people are on holiday.
- You've been pretty rough on the children.
- Don't be so rough with the child.
- Her hands are rough with hard work.
- This paper is too rough to write on.
- I can live rough for a bit in the countryside.
- Don't treat him rough.
- That fellow will cut up rough.
- The wanderer has to sleep rough.
- He estimated rough that his rate of profit would be ten percent at the outside.
- The coach chews out rough lazy players who slept for the whole morning.
- Don't rough my hair.
- The explorers had to rough it when they got into the jungle.
- Living in a tent is not for me,I don't like roughing it.
- Satin is very easily roughed.
- give the rough side of one's tongue
对某人说出不客气的话 show a lack of gentleness, good manners to sb
give sb the rough side of one's tongue
I had to give him the rough side of my tongue to show my indignation.
- play rough
粗暴地做 do sth in the way that is not in a gentle way; do sth in the way that used force
- rough in (v.+adv.)
画…的轮廓 put in a few practice lines in a drawing
rough sth ⇔ in
I'll just rough in the shape of the head and you can paint the sky round it.
- rough out (v.+adv.)
作出,写出 make a first plan of a drawing or piece of writing
rough sth ⇔ out
I'll just rough out the whole picture and you can do the details.
- rough on 对…粗暴的
- rough one's hair 弄乱头发
O'er rough and smooth she trips along.出自： Wordsworth
The rough granite surface of the column.出自： G. Vidal
I felt its rough lip against my bare arm.出自： G. Swift
The hurricane roughs up the straw on..the ricks.出自： R. Jefferies
If he roughed my suit, so much the better: I intend to rough his.出自： E. Childers
- rough与roughen的比较：两者分别都可作及物动词与不及物动词。在表示“变得粗暴”时，一般习惯上多用roughen来表示，不用rough。或者是可以用短语rough up来表示。表示“粗暴地对待”时，一般多用rough，且多与副词in/off/out连用，如rough a horse（殴打马）。名词rough表示“杂草丛生的地区”，take things in the rough与rough it有相同的意思，表示“艰难地生活”。
- rough, coarse, harsh, rude
- Many a rough man has been civilized by his wife.许多粗野的男人都被妻子教好了。
- Don't be so rough with the child.不要对小孩这样粗暴。
- His manners are very rough.他的举止非常无礼。
- It's rude to peep.偷看别人是不礼貌的。
- He was severely reproached for his rude behaviour.他因行为粗鲁而受到严厉指责。
- All of us were astonished that Mr. White was so rude to him.怀特先生对他如此无礼,使我们都感到惊异。
- He is coarse in manner.他举止粗鲁。
- It's a coarse joke.这是个粗俗的玩笑。
- She used to be coarse of speech.她过去说话很粗鲁。
- The colour is very harsh.那颜色很刺眼。
- The cloth is harsh to the touch.这块布料摸上去很粗糙。
- The noise is harsh to the ear.那噪声很刺耳。
- The surface of the table is very harsh.那张桌子的表面非常粗糙。
误 I won't have them answer me back in that rough manner.
正 I won't have them answer me back in that rude manner.裁判员警告运动员们不要粗鲁。
误 The referee warned the players not to be so rude.
正 The referee warned the players not to be so rough.
析 rough强调粗鲁的言行不够文雅; 而rude强调其源于教育差、文化低。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的ruh，意为不平的，未作的；最初源自西日耳曼语的rukhwaz，意为毛茸茸的。
- roughly adv. 粗略地；大体上；大致上; 粗暴地；粗鲁地; 粗略地；粗乱地；随便地