one of four equal parts
a district of a city having some distinguishing character
(football, professional basketball) one of four divisions into which some games are divided
a unit of time equal to 15 minutes or a quarter of an hour
one of four periods into which the school year is divided
a fourth part of a year; three months
one of the four major division of the compass
a quarter of a hundredweight (25 pounds)
a quarter of a hundredweight (28 pounds)
a United States or Canadian coin worth one fourth of a dollar
an unspecified person
the rear part of a ship
piece of leather that comprises the part of a shoe or boot covering the heel and joining the vamp
clemency or mercy shown to a defeated opponent
provide housing for (military personnel)
pull (a person) apart with four horses tied to his extremities, so as to execute him
divide into quarters
divide by four; divide into quarters
- The rent is due at the end of each quarter.
- Our team held its own after the first quarter.
- The dividend pay is equivalent to one quarter of the pretax profit.
- We pay our rent at the end of each quarter.
- The moon is in its last quarter.
- A quarter of the area is covered with virgin forest.