- 使 … 痛苦
- [U]疼痛; 痛苦 suffering; great discomfort of body or mind
- [C]身体某部分的疼痛或不适 feeling of suffering or discomfort in a particular part of the body
- [S]令人厌烦的人或事物 annoying or boring person or thing
- [P]劳苦,辛劳,烦劳 trouble; effort
- vt. & vi. (使)疼痛,(使)痛苦 cause suffering; give pain; (cause to) feel painful
a symptom of some physical hurt or disorder;
"the patient developed severe pain and distension"
emotional distress; a fundamental feeling that people try to avoid;
"the pain of loneliness"
a somatic sensation of acute discomfort;
"as the intensity increased the sensation changed from tickle to pain"
a bothersome annoying person;
"that kid is a terrible pain"
something or someone that causes trouble; a source of unhappiness;
"washing dishes was a nuisance before we got a dish washer"
"a bit of a bother"
"he's not a friend, he's an infliction"
cause bodily suffering to and make sick or indisposed
cause emotional anguish or make miserable;
"It pains me to see my children not being taught well in school"
- His leg was broken and he suffered great pain.
- He has a pain in the knee.
- He spares no efforts to study English.
- She's been complaining again she's a real pain!
- She's pained by her son's conduct.
- His feet seem to be insensitive to pain.
- Weeping is a normal response to pain.
- Her back gives her a lot of pain.
- He was crying with pain after he broke his arm.
- Mother has a pain in her chest.
- As Jim leaned to the ground to pick up the pen, he felt a sharp pain in his back.
- He has pains in the arm.
- The old patient has shooting pains in the head.
- Some patients don't refer to the discomfort of angina as an ache; rather they describe it as sudden sharp pains.
- The doctor was associated in the child's mind with injections and pains.
- She asked after the aches and pains of all the old people.
- His unkind behavior caused his parents a great deal of pain.
- You may save your pains.
- He spared neither pains nor expense.
- We shall spare no pains to support the oppressed people.
- He lavished enormous pains on the choice of every word.
- She's a real pain.
- You give me a pain.
- We've missed the last bus—what a pain!
- My tongue is paining.
- Her injured arm pained her sharply.
- Does your ankle still pain you?
- The child's constant tantrums pained his mother.
- Such remarks always pained him.
- Your laziness pains your parents.
- It pains me deeply.
- She was pained when you refused her invitation.
- She looked pained when I refused to help.
- It pained me to see him thinner from illness.
- It pains him to have to go there.
- It pained him that his father talked like that.
- He had a pained look.
- After they had quarrelled there was a pained silence between them.
- a pain in the neck
讨厌或可恶的家伙,使人厌烦的责任 sb/sth that is always a nuisance
- be at (great)〔the〕 pains
尽力,用心,下苦功 take much trouble
be at (great) pains to-v
He is at pains to find facts.
He was at great pains to point out my mistake.
他极力指出我的错误。be at the pains of v-ing
We are at the pains of quickening our steps.
- feel no pain
醉倒 be drunken
- for one's pains
作为辛劳的酬报; 费尽苦心的结果 as a response to one's efforts
- go to great pains
努力,下工夫 take much trouble
go to great pains to-v
He went to great pains to show how horrifying the war was.
She went to great pains to see that all her guests were provided with whatever they needed.
- in (great) pain
很疼痛 aching severely
- on (the) pain of death
冒受处罚的危险 at the risk of severe punishment
- take (great) pains
下工夫,花气力 try hard (to do sth); take much trouble
take (great) pains to-v
He took pains to make me realize my mistake.
They took great pains to build up their influence there.
他们花很大气力在那里培植他们的势力。take (great) pains with sth
Mary took great pains with her English lessons and got high marks.
- under pain of
如果违反则以…论处 at the risk of suffering (some punishment)
- with great pains
费力地 with great efforts
- aggravate pain 加剧疼痛〔痛苦〕
- allay pain 减轻疼痛〔痛苦〕
- bear pain 忍受痛苦
- cause pain 引起痛苦
- combat pain 与疼痛作斗争
- cry with pain 痛得叫喊
- deaden pain 止痛
- ease pain 减轻痛苦
- endure pain 忍受痛苦
- experience pain 经受痛苦
- feel pain 觉得痛,感到痛苦
- give pain 产生痛苦
- have pain 疼痛
- inflict pain 使受痛苦
- intensify pain 加剧痛苦
- kill pain 解除痛苦
- know pain 了解痛苦
- lull pain 减轻痛苦
- occasion pain 引起疼痛
- reduce pain 减少痛苦
- relievepain 减轻痛苦
- remove pain 消除痛苦
- save pains 不必费心
- share pain 分担痛苦
- show pain 表现出痛苦
- spare no pains 不辞劳苦
- stand pain 忍受疼痛
- suffer pain 遭受痛苦
- take pain 忍受疼痛
- take pains about meals 操心伙食
- undergo pain 经历痛苦
- a lot of pain 非常痛
- accepted pain 可接受的惩罚
- aching pain 疼痛
- bodily pain 肉体的疼痛
- ceaseless pain 无休止的疼痛
- constant pain 持续的疼痛,慢性疼痛
- dull pain 钝痛
- eternal pain 永久的痛苦
- extreme pain 极端的痛苦
- fearful pain 可怕的疼痛
- frightful pain 可怕的疼痛
- great pain 剧烈的疼痛
- helpless pain 无助的痛苦
- hopeless pain 绝望的痛苦
- immediate pain 骤然疼痛
- infinite pain 无限的痛苦
- local pain 局部疼痛
- lonely pain 孤独的痛苦
- mental pain 精神痛苦
- momentary pain 瞬间的疼痛
- mortal pain 致命的疼痛
- mutual pains 共同的努力
- needless pain 不必要的痛苦
- non-stop pain 持续不断的疼痛,疼痛不止
- peculiar pain 特殊的疼痛
- persistent pain 持续的疼痛
- physical pain 肉体的痛苦
- pure pain 单纯的疼痛
- severe pain 剧烈的疼痛
- sharp pain 剧烈的疼痛
- sleepless pain 难眠的痛苦
- slight pain 微痛
- some pain 有点痛
- steady pain 持续的疼痛
- stubborn pain 难以消除的疼痛
- sudden pain 突然发作的疼痛
- tender pain 敏感的疼痛
- terrible pain 可怕的痛苦
- tolerable pain 可忍耐的痛苦
- unbearable pain 难以忍受的痛苦
- violent pain 剧烈的疼痛
- yearning pain 思念的痛苦
- at pains 尽力,下苦功
- for pain 因痛苦而…
- from pain 减轻痛苦
- in pain 在痛苦中
- of pain 疼得…
- on pain (of death) 违则(处死)
- out of pain 结束痛苦
- under pain of 如果违反则以…论处
- with pain 由于疼痛
- with great pains 煞费苦心
- pains about 为…操劳
- pain in the back 背痛
- pain in the ear 耳朵痛
- pain in the knees 膝盖痛
- pain in the mouth 嘴痛
- pain in the nose 鼻子痛
- pains of ( v -ing) 刻苦(做…)
- pain one's parents 使双亲难过
- pain acutely 刀割似地疼痛
- pain agonizingly 令人痛苦地疼痛
- pain cruelly 极度痛苦
- pain deeply 深为痛苦
- pain intolerably 令人难忍地疼痛
- pain poignantly 令人心碎地痛苦
- pain sharply 剧烈地疼痛
- pain by 为…而感到痛心
The simple reaction..is expressed..psychically as the Principle of following Pleasure and avoiding Pain.出自： A. Barratt
But your arm, my lord...Does it not pain you?出自： Sir W. Scott
Only her mother could cause her to lie..and the act pained her.出自： A. Massie
- pain多接表示人的名词或代词作宾语; pain作“作痛,觉得痛”解时,主语通常为身体的某部分,可用于进行体,表示持续地疼痛。
I have pain(s)/a pain in the stomach.
Great pains have been taken with her education.
- in pain表示“在苦恼中”，属于固定搭配词组；
at pains表示“尽力，用心”，后一般接不定式或that从句。而take pains表示“尽力，煞费苦心”，后一般接不定式或in和动名词或with和名词。
I have been at some pains to secure the best available texts.
They are taking great pains in studying English.
- pained，表示“痛苦的”，如a pained look（一个痛苦的表情），现在基本上表示精神上的痛苦，较少指肉体上的痛苦。
- at pains, at the pains
- 这两个短语都可作“努力”“下苦功”解。其区别在于:at pains搭用动词不定式短语,而at the pains则要搭用介词of引起的动名词短语。
- for pain, with pain
- 这两个短语都可作“由于疼痛”解。其区别在于:for pain常用在否定句里,而with pain常用在肯定句里。例如:
- I couldn't sleep for pain.我由于疼痛而不能入眠。
- The boy was crying with pain.那男孩疼得在哭泣。
- pain, ache, sting, stitch
- 1.pain使用最广泛,可替换本组其他各词。pain所表示的疼痛,可以是全身的,也可以是局部的; 可以是剧烈的,也可以是轻微的; 可以是长时间的,也可以是短暂的; 可以是身体上的,也可以是精神上的。而ache多指局部的、轻微的、持续的身体疼痛,尤指隐痛、闷痛,少指精神上的痛苦。例如“她痛得直叫。”显然是剧烈的、暂时的,故应译为She cried with pain.再如:As the infection developed, the dull ache in his joints became a sharp stabbing pain.由于感染的发展,他关节的隐痛变成了剧烈的刺痛。
- The sting of coral can be very painful.珊瑚刺伤可引起剧痛。
- I still feel the sting of her bitter remarks.她的刻薄话现在仍使我感到痛心。
- All that dancing gave me a stitch in my side.一直跳舞,我的胁部好疼呀!
- pain, pang, smart
- 这三个词都可指肉体上的疼痛,也可指精神上的疼痛。其区别在于:pain所表示的疼痛可以是剧烈的,也可以是轻微的; 而pang和smart表示的都是强烈的、剧烈的疼痛。例如:
- He was anxious about an off-and-on pain in the abdomen.他因腹部时隐时现的疼痛而忧虑。
- She felt a sudden pang of regret.她突然感到痛悔不已。
- He felt his eyes smart with fatigue.他因困倦而感到两眼剧痛。
- pain(s), bid, effort(s), endeavour(s), exertion(s)
- effort(s)着重指动作的本身; endeavour(s)着重作出努力的认真和决心; exertion(s)着重于动作的积极性或剧烈性; bid着重于为达到某种企图而作出的努力; pain(s)侧重为完成某事花费气力。例如:
- I will make a great effort to master English我会努力掌握英语。
- The cabinet is making all possible endeavours to bring about national economic stabilization.政府内阁将尽最大努力使国家经济趋于稳定。
- I was quite hot and tired after all my exertions.用力干后,我又热又累。
- Our Department is making a bid for the interdepartmental basketball championship.我们系正力求夺取系际的篮球赛冠军。
- For thirty years,Teacher Liu has been taking great pains in educating us.30年来,刘教员一直劳心努力地教育我们。
- It's a pain to get up so early in the morn- ing.
- It's a pain getting up so early in the morn- ing.
误 She has a headpain.
正 She has a headache.
误 My foot is pain.
正 I have a pain in my foot.
析 表示人“身体某个部位疼痛”要用have a pain〔pains〕 in...,其中pain是可数名词,表示具体的疼痛部位。这妇女在分娩阵痛中。
误 The lady was in severe pain.
正 The lady was in severe pains.即使用刑罚也不能禁止这种习俗。
误 Even pain and penalties wouldn't put a stop to such a practice.
正 Even pains and penalties wouldn't put a stop to such a practice.这位老师很辛苦地批改学生们的考卷。
误 The teacher took great pain in correcting the pupils' papers.
正 The teacher took great pains in correcting the pupils' papers.
误 I am still paining the leg.
正 The leg is still paining me.
误 My throat aches me very often.
正 My throat pains me very often.撇下子女不管(这种做法)使他很痛心。
误 It ached him to leave his family behind.
正 It pained him to leave his family behind.
- ☆ 1300左右年进入英语，直接源自古法语的peine；最初源自古典拉丁语的poena，意为惩罚，煎熬。