- [A]唯一的,仅有的 with no others in the same group or of the same type
- [A]最好的,独一无二的 the best
- 只有,才 nothing more than; with no one or nothing else added or included
- 〈非正〉 只是,但是 except that; but
being the only one; single and isolated from others;
"the lone doctor in the entire county"
"a lonesome pine"
"an only child"
"the sole heir"
"the sole example"
"a solitary instance of cowardice"
"a solitary speck in the sky"
exclusive of anyone or anything else;
"she alone believed him"
"cannot live by bread alone"
"I'll have this car and this car only"
and nothing more;
"I was merely asking"
"it is simply a matter of time"
"just a scratch"
"he was only a child"
"hopes that last but a moment"
without any others being included or involved;
"was entirely to blame"
"a school devoted entirely to the needs of problem children"
"he works for Mr. Smith exclusively"
"did it solely for money"
"the burden of proof rests on the prosecution alone"
"a privilege granted only to him"
with nevertheless the final result;
"He arrived only to find his wife dead"
"We won only to lose again in the next round"
in the final outcome;
"These news will only make you more upset"
"It was the same story; only this time she came out better"
never except when;
"call me only if your cold gets worse"
as recently as;
"I spoke to him only an hour ago"
- This colt is only two months old.
- He had only a few coppers with him.
- You're only a child in his eyes.
- This is only an exercise in composition.
- His hair became gray when he was only forty.
- The news only reached me a moment ago.
- She says Italy is the only place to go for a holiday.
- Our only resort is to inform the police.
- He is the only survivor of the plane crash.
- Aubert was not only an artist of versatility, but he was also an outstanding sculptor.
- The book is likely to be useful, only it's rather expensive.
- Only bad weather can defeat us now.
- The merchandise is well made,only we can't use it.
- I can't possibly do that;I'm only flesh and blood.
- Practice is the only way to learn a language well.
- The only French city she enjoyed was Paris.
- They were the only two men at that time.
- She's the only woman for the job.
- Only the lawyer can understand this agreement .
- “You pay her only 20 dollars per week.”“Yes, but she works only a few hours a week.”
- They reached the company out of breath only to be told they were fired.
- I rushed to the door, only to discover that it was locked and barred.
- Sap passes right through the aphides' bodies, only getting a little thicker and sweeter.
- Only in this way can we wipe out the enemy troops.
- If you give her money, she'll only waste it.
- You'll only tell Father, won't you?
- You may use these tools, only you must replace it after use.
- We'll wait for you.Only hurry up!
- She would attend the party, only she has nothing to wear.
- If only
(表示强烈的愿望) 但愿,真希望(expressing a strong wish)
- only too
- only that
除了…,只是,要不是因为…except for; but for the fact that
- only just 刚刚才
- only too 非常
- if only 要是 ... 多好...
- only that 只是(要不是...
- only if 只有当(只是在 ....
- only child 独生子
- only for 要是没有
- only not 简直是
- one and only 唯一的
- can only 只得
- not the only fish in the sea 并不是世上独一无二的...
- if … only 我愿
- only middling 过得去
- receive only 只接收
- not only 不仅
- read-only memory 只读内存
- send only 只发送
- piston only 活塞本体
- only element 唯一单元, 唯一元素...
- only one remove from 与…相隔不远...
I was a delicate boysmy parents' only.出自： J. Betjeman
The onliest thing to do is to get up and see.出自： T. Callender
The police novel..permits privacy only to explode and smash privacy.出自： G. K. Chesterton
If Violet had only kept her mouth shut I could have fixed it.出自： Scott Fitzgerald
Since he had only two suitcases, he carried them himself.出自： G. Vidal
He's not only got guts, but sensitivity as well.出自： J. Osborne
It seems like only yesterday you were down here.出自： J. Johnston
She had only married him for the hyphen in his name.出自： H. Secombe
Only a child would ask so many questions.出自： J. Simms
A cool room which got the morning sun only.出自： A. Brookner
- 当only与另一个形容词或数词连用时, only要放在它们前面。
- “only+ v -ing”结构也可用作结果状语,通常表示一个自然的或意料之中的结果,意为“结果(只)是”,其前一般用逗号与前面的成分隔开。
- only, single, sole
- That is the only fault to be found with him.那是他身上挑得出来的唯一毛病。
- We were the only women there.那儿的女生只有我们几个。
- The sole survivor of the crash was a little baby.这次撞车的唯一幸存者是一个婴儿。
- He is the sales representative with sole responsibility for sales in the North East.他是负责东北地区销售业务的销售代表。
- 4.语义上, sole>single>only。
- only, alone
- He knew it was impossible to accomplish it by individual effort only〔alone〕.他知道只靠个人努力是不能完成那件工作的。
- He alone can do it.
- Only he can do it.
- 2.含义上也有区别：alone表示只此一个,别无其他,相当于exclusively; 而only则暗示所指的事物有所限制,相当于solely。例如：
- Our farm alone sold 80,000 kilograms of wheat.
- Only our farm sold 80,000 kilograms of wheat.
- 第一句暗指其他农场也出售了这么多甚至更多; 而第二句则暗指其他农场没有我们多。再如：
- They alone sell cotton clothing.
- They only sell cotton clothing.
- Only Mary liked Joe.
- Mary only liked Joe.
- Mary liked only Joe.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的anlic，意为仅有。