- 许多,多的 a large number of
- 许多 a large number
- a quantifier that can be used with count nouns and is often preceded by `as' or `too' or `so' or `that'; amounting to a large but indefinite number;
"the temptations are many"
"a good many"
"a great many"
"take as many apples as you like"
"too many clouds to see"
"never saw so many people"
- Many of these substances are innocuous.
- A good many of beggars are blind.
The band is composed of many famous musicians.
Not many people can write with the left hand.
There are many more people than I expected.
He has got many more books than he needs.
There are so many new desks in the classroom.
There are too many mistakes in your homework.
How many students are absent today?
We are many, and they are few.
His words are many but meaning is not deep.
The dishes were many, but they were all poorly cooked.
I did not find many.
There were a few, but not many.
Many of them were present at the conference.
Many of us were too tired to go further.
Many are called but few are chosen.
A good many are waiting for you.
There were a great many at the scene.
You've given me too many.
We got three generating sets but we need as many again.
- a good〔great〕 many
The little girl knows a good many folk songs by heart. 那个小姑娘记得好多民歌。
A great many houses were knocked down by the earthquake. 许多房子在地震中塌了。
- 很多,许多very many
- many a
许多a large number of
Many a famous pop star has been ruined by drugs. 很多著名的流行音乐歌星都因使用毒品而毁了自己。
I have been here many a time. 我曾多次到过这里。
Mother went home.Many a tear did she shed at night. 母亲回家了,晚上她流了许多泪。
- 许多a large number of
Letters..of many our contriving friends.出自：Anthony Cleopatra,Shakespeare
We must drink many happy returns to her.出自：Dickens
Many a wistful boy, and maidens..desire it.出自：R. Ellis
In its hope that for many and many a year we may have your very self among us.出自：Browning
She dearly loved..a gentleman at her feet, and many a one..she'd had.出自：A. Wilson
It's going to be many a long day before I get involved.出自：R. Gordon
Errands to be run, phone calls to be made, typing, so many things.出自：M. L. King
There weren't many Cadillacs around in those days.出自：C. Jackson
Like a dome of many-coloured glass.出自：comb.
And space is many-dimensional.出自：A. N. Whitehead
- many可用来强调more,可用too, so, how等修饰。
- many a的意思是“许多”,与“单数名词+单数动词”连用。当其修饰宾语时,宾语常置于句首,且主谓倒装。
- many用作代词时,作“许多,许多人”解,常用于many of...结构中,谓语动词须用复数。
- many或a good〔great〕 many用作主语时,其谓语动词用复数。
- 在英语口语中, many通常用于否定句、疑问句中。在肯定句中many多用于正式文体,相当于口语中的a lot of或lots of。另外,当其单独作主语或宾语,含有对比意味时,当其充当名词词组中心,只带有后置定语时或当其前面常有as, so, too, very, a good, a great等词或词组时, many也用于肯定句中。
- many, a great deal of, a lot of, a number of, lots of, many a, much
这组词(组)都表示“许多”的意思。其区别在于:many是普通用语,其后只能接可数名词复数; many a是书面用语,后接单数可数名词,当修饰主语时谓语动词要用单数形式; much是普通用语,是对量和程度而言的,只能修饰不可数名词; a number of可用来修可数名词复数; a lot of和lots of既可接可数名词,也可接不可数名词,多用于肯定句。a great deal of后接不可数名词,谓语动词用单数,且常用于肯定句中。例如:Man and the ape have many things in common.人和猿有许多共同之处。Many a man comes or goes.一个又一个的人来来去去。A number of people came to the meeting from all over the world.来自世界各地的许多人参加了这次会议。A lot of friends are thinking of emigrating.许多朋友正在考虑移民国外。There are lots of antiques shops in Australia now.现在澳大利亚有许许多多的古玩店。She's earned a great deal of money in the last few weeks.在最近几个星期内,她挣了大量的钱。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的mnaig，意为多。
- many:many n. 多数, 群众adj. 许多的pron. 许多人, 许多习惯用语a good[great] many 很多, 相当多as many 一样多的, 同样数目的as many again 两倍…