- adj. 单独的；独自一人的；孤单的
- adv. 独自地；仅仅
- 只，只有， 单，仅，仅仅，单单[用在名词或代词后面]
- [P]单独的; 独一无二的 apart from other persons or things; solitary; without anyone else; without anything more; unique
- [A]仅仅,唯一,只有 only; just
- 单独地,独自地 without or separated from others
- 仅,只 only; exclusively
isolated from others;
"could be alone in a crowded room"
"was alone with her thoughts"
"I want to be alone"
lacking companions or companionship;
"he was alone when we met him"
"she is alone much of the time"
"the lone skier on the mountain"
"a lonely fisherman stood on a tuft of gravel"
"a lonely soul"
"a solitary traveler"
exclusive of anyone or anything else;
"she alone believed him"
"cannot live by bread alone"
"I'll have this car and this car only"
radically distinctive and without equal;
"he is alone in the field of microbiology"
"this theory is altogether alone in its penetration of the problem"
"Bach was unique in his handling of counterpoint"
"craftsmen whose skill is unequaled"
"unparalleled athletic ability"
"a breakdown of law unparalleled in our history"
without any others being included or involved;
"was entirely to blame"
"a school devoted entirely to the needs of problem children"
"he works for Mr. Smith exclusively"
"did it solely for money"
"the burden of proof rests on the prosecution alone"
"a privilege granted only to him"
without anybody else or anything else;
"the child stayed home alone"
"the pillar stood alone, supporting nothing"
"he flew solo"
- Tom is not alone in finding Rick hard to work with.
- I was alone in the classroom.
- To tell you the truth, I don't feel like being alone tonight.
- After tea I wandered alone about the town.
- You can't live on bread alone.
- Cage alone knows the truth.
- I alone remained.
- You alone can do it.
- He alone foresaw the Second World War.
- He alone is not responsible for it.
- One boy alone can do this work.
- The President alone has the power to appoint a member of the US cabinet.
- The people, and the people alone, are the motive force in the making of world history.
- Man alone has the gift of speech.
- Meat alone is not adequate food for most people.
- Iron alone rusts.
- That job alone will take up all your time.
- Pride alone prevented her from giving up.
- Hard work alone isn't enough, we must use our brains, too.
- Money alone can not make you happy.
- Time alone will show who was right.
- The grant was awarded on merit alone.
- Man shall not live by bread alone.
- He would be respected for that one thing alone.
- She did the work for money alone.
- In Paris,35 arrests were made on January 4 alone.
- I am alone.
- He was all alone.
- I wanted to be alone.
- Often she would weep when she was alone .
- Better to be alone than in bad company.
- After her husband's death she felt terribly alone.
- Let's talk the matter over as soon as we are conveniently alone.
- After his mother's death the boy remained quite alone.
- She was not alone at the moment.
- I am all alone here at present.
- She's always frightened when she's alone in the house.
- She has been alone in the world since husband died.
- I am not alone in this opinion.
- She is alone in believing that he is innocent.
- We are not alone in thinking that it is right.
- He was almost alone in thinking so.
- Haas is alone in dreaming that he shall be a specialist one day.
- We were not alone in thinking that our education cause will continue to forge ahead with vigour.
- I am alone with the attendant.
- It was dreadful to find oneself alone in such a place.
- Finding himself alone in the room he knew he had overslept.
- My father was sitting alone when I came in.
- I can't carry on alone any longer; I'll have to get help.
- Can you lift the rock alone?
- Every morning I walk alone in the woods.
- This is something I can't decide alone.I'll consult with my wife about it.
- She is now eighty, and becoming too frail to live alone.
- Cage spent most of her time alone in the flat.
- She went on holiday alone, she's very independent.
- It was a definite mistake for him to have gone alone.
- It was risky to walk in the filthy streets alone , murder was frequent and familiar.
- It is dangerous for a girl to go out alone at night.
- I felt uneasy at thought of her going home alone at that late hour.
- It's too big a job for one man to do alone.
- The house stood alone on the hill.
- He lived all alone.
- He did it all alone.
- I have to work all alone.
- Mary was going to London all alone.
- That fellow places himself among us all alone .
- She sat all alone on the hillside.
- That pagoda stood on the hill all alone.
- Alone, he would have been terrified.
- leave〔let〕 alone
更不用说,还不算 not to mention or say nothing of, certainly not
leave〔let〕 sb/sth alone
Let me alone!
Let the boy alone.He's hurting nobody.
Leave them alone to their discussion.
Let him alone to do that!
Let my things alone!
How can you let it alone?
Some people can never let things alone.
She wants to think things out quietly, so we had better leave her alone.
I'm anxious about leaving him alone in the temple.
The principal is busy at his desk; you'd better leave him alone.
Leave the cat alone!
Leave that bottle alone; there is oil in it.
别碰那个瓶子,里面有油。leave〔let〕 alone sth
We can't afford a bicycle, let alone a car.
She can't find money for necessities, let alone such luxuries as wine and tobacco.
It is not all of us who are born with the gift of handling normal children, let alone those of subnormal intelligence.
He doesn't even speak his own language well, let alone French.
本国语他都说不好,更不必提法语了。leave〔let〕 alone to/-v
He can't add two and two, let alone do fractions.
I couldn't afford to rent a house like that, let alone buy it.
I'm so sick today that I couldn't walk as far as the kitchen, let alone go to the zoo with you.
He did not speak to me, leave alone help me.
He won't even thank you, leave alone pay you.
他连谢都不谢,甭说付钱给你了。let alone prep\u002e-phrase
His cabin is uninhabitable in summer, let alone in winter.
- let〔leave〕 well〔enough〕 alone
安于现状就已经行了,再搞反而会弄巧成拙了 be satisfied with conditions and not change them; do nothing else for fear of spoiling sth
- stand alone
突出,杰出 be better, higher or bigger
- be alone 是孤独的
- feel alone 感到孤独
- leave alone 听其自然,不干涉
- let alone 更不用说,还不算,听其自然,不干涉
- look alone 显得孤独
- seem alone 似乎是孤独的
- stand alone in 在…方面是独一无二的
- alone in a place 独自在一个地方
- alone in that opinion 只有一个人持那种意见
- alone in holding that opinion 唯独一个人持有这种想法
- alone with 单独与…在一起
- alone with the moon 独自陪伴着月亮
Alone on a wide wide sea!出自： Coleridge
I am left alone in the sitting, With none to sit beside.出自： J. M. Faulkner
This morning Pancrazio and Giovanni had gone off somewhere, Alvina and Cicio were alone on the place.出自： D. H. Lawrence
Two rather alone people.出自： E. Bowen
The whiteness of the cup, standing alone on the grass, is dazzling.出自： Day Lewis
- alone的基本含义在于陈述独自一个人而没有同伴或助手的客观事实,引申可用于物。在与leave或let连用构成的习语中, alone的意思是“任其自然”。
- 不可说very alone,而应说much alone或very much alone,用very much比用much更为普遍。
- let alone可用作连词,其后可接任何词性的词项,用于非正式语体,且多用于否定句。
alone，lone，lonely和lonesome的比较：alone是表语形容词，因此能说The man is alone，不能说an alone man。也不能说very alone，只能说much alone或very much alone，且后者比前者普遍。lone是定语形容词，因此能说a lone man,不能说The man is lone。alone指“独自的”，lonely指“寂寞的”，一个人也许alone但并不lonely（虽自己一人，但不寂寞），或是虽不alone而感觉lonely（虽不是自己一个人，却还是寂寞）。有时lonely还指“不大有人到的”，如a lonely house。lonesome同lonely意思相近，指“孤单的”。
Mary is very lonesome with her husband and children so much away.
- She alone went指“只有她去”，She went alone指“她独自去”。而leave him alone有时指“听任他独自一个人”，有时指“不干涉他”，let him alone指“不干涉他”；
let alone等于to say nothing of，指“更不用说，莫说”。
The house is uninhabitable in summer, let alone in winter.
- let alone, not to mention
- 这两者都可用如连词,其区别仅在于:not to mention后只接名词短语,而let alone后可接任何词。另外, let alone只用于非正式语体中,且多用于否定句。例如:
- I had never seen him, let alone spoken to him.我从未见过他,更不用说与他交谈了。
- leave alone, let alone
- Leave〔let〕 that bag alone.It's not yours!别动那个包,那不是你的!
- 1.作“不理〔管〕而听其自然”“不烦扰”解时,多用leave alone; 作“不干涉”解时,多用let alone; 作“更不用说”解时, let alone比leave alone更正式。
- 2.leave alone可用于被动结构; 而let alone不常用于被动结构。
- let alone, let well alone
- 这两个短语虽然只差一个well,但含义和用法已大相径庭。前者意为“更不用说”,后者意为“适可而止”; 前者用作及物动词,后者用作不及物动词。
- alone, lonely
- 1.alone可用作形容词,也可用作副词; lonely只能用作形容词。
- 2.alone是陈述一个“独自”的客观现实,而lonely则是描述一种“寂寞的”情绪体验; alone说的是“没有伴侣”,而lonely却含有“渴望伴侣”的意味; alone基本没有感情色彩,而lonely的感情色彩却很浓。例如：
- She felt lonely when she was left alone.剩下她一人时,她感到很寂寞。
- Though I am alone,I am not lonely.
- Though I am not alone,I am lonely.
- 再如：The few people on the street were alone and seemed lonely.街上那几个人孤零零的,显得很寂寞。
- Now I am alone and can do more or less whatever I like.现在我单独一个人,可以做我喜爱的事。
- There was a joy in closing the door behind the last departing guest and knowing that at last one was blessedly alone.当最后一位客人离去后,你关上门并感到终于留下自己一个人怡然自得时,该是多么高兴啊。
- 4.lonely可用于地点表示偏僻,人迹罕至; 而alone不能这样用。
- There's a lonely house in a lonely wood.在人迹罕至的树林里有一座孤零零的房子。
- Riches alone cannot bring happiness.仅仅有财富不会使人幸福。
- alone, by oneself
- 1.从造成“独自地”原因上说, alone可以是主动的,也可以是被动的; 而by oneself则是主动的,是主观上愿意把自己与他人隔绝开来而造成的。例如：
- He always has his lunch alone.
- He always has his lunch by himself.
- 2.从“独自地”性质上说, alone可以是正常的,也可以是不正常的; 而by oneself则多是反常的,或者是出乎意料的。例如：
- He lives alone.
- He lives by himself.
- alone, only
- He knew it was impossible to accomplish it by individual effort only〔alone〕.他知道只靠个人努力是不能完成那件工作的。
- He alone can do it.
- Only he can do it.
- 2.含义上也有区别：alone表示只此一个,别无其他,相当于exclusively; 而only则暗示所指的事物有所限制,相当于solely。例如：
- Our farm alone sold 80,000 kilograms of wheat.
- Only our farm sold 80,000 kilograms of wheat.
- 第一句暗指其他农场也出售了这么多甚至更多; 而第二句则暗指其他农场没有我们多。再如：
- They alone sell cotton clothing.
- They only sell cotton clothing.
- She alone went there.
- She went there alone.
- He can do the work alone.
误 The university is taking effective measures to improve the students' ability to work alone.
正 The university is taking effective measures to improve the students' ability to work independently.
析 work alone是“单独工作”, work independently才表示“独立工作”。她不但有学识,而且有经验。
误 She has not alone knowledge, but (also) experience.
正 She has not only knowledge, but (also) experience.
析 alone不用于not alone...but also结构。
- ☆ 14世纪进入英语，直接源自古英语的all ana，意为单独一人。
- unique adv.