- 正好,恰好 exactly
- 只是,仅仅 only; no more than
- 刚才,方才 only a short time ago; only now and not sooner
- 勉强地 almost not; hardly
- 公道的; 公正的; 公平的 acting or being in accordance with what is morally right and proper; fair
- 合理的,有充分根据的 reasonable; well-founded
- used especially of what is legally or ethically right or proper or fitting;
"a just and lasting peace"
"a kind and just man"
"a just reward"
"his just inheritance"
- fair to all parties as dictated by reason and conscience;
"equitable treatment of all citizens"
"an equitable distribution of gifts among the children"
- free from favoritism or self-interest or bias or deception; conforming with established standards or rules;
"a fair referee"
"on a fair footing"
"a fair fight"
"by fair means or foul"
- of moral excellence;
"a genuinely good person"
"a just cause"
"an upright and respectable man"
- and nothing more;
"I was merely asking"
"it is simply a matter of time"
"just a scratch"
"he was only a child"
"hopes that last but a moment"
- indicating exactness or preciseness;
"he was doing precisely (or exactly) what she had told him to do"
"it was just as he said--the jewel was gone"
"it has just enough salt"
- only a moment ago;
"he has just arrived"
"the sun just now came out"
"I just can't take it anymore"
"he was just grand as Romeo"
"it's simply beautiful!"
- only a very short time before;
"they could barely hear the speaker"
"we hardly knew them"
"just missed being hit"
"had scarcely rung the bell when the door flew open"
"would have scarce arrived before she would have found some excuse to leave"
- exactly at this moment or the moment described;
"we've just finished painting the walls, so don't touch them"
- I am just teasing you; you need not be nervous.
- I'm sorry, but I am just on my way out.
- To our great joy, your goods arrived just in time.
- I am just starving.
- Our aim is a just and lasting peace.
- Many Americans no longer viewed it as a just war.
- You have received a just reward.
- We made a just assessment of the situation.
I have just had a tooth pulled out and my mouth is very sore.
We've just arrived here, can you arrange for a car for us?
I have just been appointed our firm's representative in Paris.
What he has just said does not accord with the views of the majority.
He determined, come what may, to return the visit he had just received.
He's just coming.
We're just going to start.
I am just out of hospital.
I am only just home from Oxford University.
We just need a tent supported on a rigid framework.
I was just passing, so I thought I'd blow in for a few minutes.
I was just going out when a call came through on the phone from Tom.
The two things are so opposed that they just cancel each other out.
It is just 12 o'clock in the evening.
The rope is just long enough.
That is just what he expected.
It's just an old rag I had in the closet.
This is not the original picture, but just a copy of it.
You have to assimilate the facts, not just remember them.
Employing just one woman among fifty men is only taken recognition of equal rights for the sexes.50
It’s just a routine medical examination, nothing to get worried about.
He says he's just an ordinary man, living in an ordinary house, with ordinary hopes and fears.
In his youth he lost several jobs, just because he dared to answer back.
You do not reply directly; you are just begging the question.
There’s just an outside chance we’ll get the contract after all.
There was only just room to brush past in the crowd.
In the heavy fog I could just see his face.
He just managed to pass the examination.
By the time I got to the airport, they were already calling my flight,I just barely made it.
He only just answered the question.
We only just climbed up the top of the mountains.
We have only just enough milk to last till Friday.
I only just caught the bus this morning.
There are only five minutes to go.You might just manage to get to the station, but you're cutting it rather fine.
I just can't believe my eyes.
The food is just wonderful.
His skill is just marvellous.
The sentence just doesn't make sense.
It is just beautiful!
The film was just marvelous!
I really didn't know just what profession he practised.
Just who was the owner of the house?
Just who is the pretty girl sitting beside you?
Just how did you know she was a driver?
My mother is just coming.
The door just opens.
He came from France last week, just to see us.
Let's take more money than we think we'll need, just to be on the safe side.
It was pleasant just to watch the girl with her bouncing energy and her happy laugh.
It isn't enough just to cast your eyes over this blue-print; you should make a careful study of it.
Please wait just a few minutes; I'm going to clean myself up.
Just give me ten minutes to clean myself up; I'm covered in oil.
It is a just but not generous decision.
She has received a just reward.
He was a just man, listening to both sides of every complaint.
We resolutely support your just struggle for national liberation.
There's no doubt that your just cause will triumph throughout the world.
This is a perfectly just and proper measure of self-defence.
We entirely support your just position on this matter.
The state must protect the just rights and interests of the people.
We hold that their proposal is just and reasonable.
He is just in his dealings.
We hope to be just in our understanding of such difficult situations.
We must deal with the matter seriously so as to be just to all the people concerned.
It is just that you should be rewarded.
- it is just as well
也是好事,倒也不错 it is a good thing
It is just as well that we didn't go out in this rain. 下雨天,我们没出去倒也是好事。
I had a puncture so it was just as well I was carrying a spare wheel. 我的车胎被扎破了,幸好我还带了个备用车胎。
- 也是好事,倒也不错 it is a good thing
- it would be just as well
是明智的 it is advisable
It would be just as well to lock the door when you go out. 你出去的时候，最好锁上门。
- 是明智的 it is advisable
- just about
- just as one〔it is〕
不特意装饰或改变; 保持原样 without any special decoration or alteration
Tell her to come to the party just as she is. 告诉她,就像现在这样来参加聚会就行。
The trousers are rather long, but I'll take them just as they are. 这条裤子有点儿长,但我还是买下了。
- 不特意装饰或改变; 保持原样 without any special decoration or alteration
- just in case
以防万一 as a precaution
It's usually not hard to get this kind of ticket, but start early, just in case. 买这种票平常并不难,但还是早点走,以防万一。
- 以防万一 as a precaution
- just like that
突然,冷不防地; 莫名其妙地 suddenly, without warning or explanation
He walked out on his wife just like that! 他突然抛弃了妻子。
- 突然,冷不防地; 莫名其妙地 suddenly, without warning or explanation
- just now
刚才,刚刚 only a short time ago, a moment ago or so
I saw him just now. 我刚刚看到他了。
He said that another test would be needed, adding that preparations must be made just now. 他说需要再做一次试验,接着又说,必须立即做好准备。
He caught me out just now with a question on English grammar. 他刚才问了我一个英语语法方面的问题,可把我难住了。
现在,此时 at this very moment
Come and see me later, but not just now. 以后再来找我,现在别来。
Good fruit is scarce just now, and costs a lot. 现时好水果很少,且价格昂贵。
立刻,正要 be about to do
I'm going to the hospital just now. 我正要去医院。
I'll be seeing him just now. 我一会儿就去看他。
- 刚才,刚刚 only a short time ago, a moment ago or so
- just so
有条理的,井然 performed or arranged with precision
She cannot bear an untidy desk. Everything must be just so. 她就怕书桌上凌乱,样样东西都必须井井有条。
If everything isn’t just so, he gets angry. 如果事情不料理得井井有条,他会生气的。
I like to keep these books just so. 我喜欢把书放得整整齐齐的。
You think that muggers should be punished more severely?Just so,I'm in total agreement. 你认为行凶抢劫者应该受到更严厉的制裁?完全正确,我举双手赞成。
- 有条理的,井然 performed or arranged with precision
- just the same
These two pictures are just the same. 这两幅画完全相同。
You can hand in your paper now or leave it till later; it's just the same to me. 你可以现在交作业或留待以后交,对我来说随便怎么都行。
The sun's out, but I'll take a raincoat just the same. 尽管是晴天,但我还是要带上雨衣。
- 同样的,完全相同的 identical
- not just yet
并非现在,但可能不久 not at this present moment but probably quite soon
I’m not through just yet; I should be finished in an hour. 我还没做完,再过一小时就可做完了。
I think it wouldn't be wise to mention it to her just yet. 我认为,现在向她提起这件事不明智。
- 并非现在,但可能不久 not at this present moment but probably quite soon
- one might just as well be〔do〕 sth
这样也好 one would not benefit from being or doing otherwise
The weather was so bad on holiday we might just as well have stayed at home. 假日的天气很坏,我们呆在家里也不错。
- 这样也好 one would not benefit from being or doing otherwise
- just after supper 就在晚饭后
- just after the meeting 就在会议后
- just as it is 恰好如此,完全照原样
- just by the river 就在河边
- just of that place 就在那地方
- just action 正义的行动
- just anger 有缘由的怒气
- just cause 正义的事业
- just conduct 公正的行动
- just decision 公正的裁决
- just description 真实的描述
- just fear 有理由的害怕
- just indignation 义愤
- just life 正直的生活
- just man 正直的人
- just opinion 合理的意见
- just praise 应得的称赞
- just price 公平的价格
- just sentence 公正的判决
- just stand 正确的立场
- just war 正义的战争
He had decided, as he was a just and logical person, that her sex was immaterial.出自：D. Francis
Twelve jurors who had seemed..to be just and upright and unprejudiced men.出自：J. C. Oates
They had been standing just by the drawing-room door.出自：T. Hardy
It is impossible to say just what I mean!出自：T. S. Eliot
Someone dropped a ruler just then.出自：C. P. Snow
You are just the person I was looking for.出自：R. K. Narayan
He remembered now: it was just three years ago.出自：G. Greene
He looked just like an ordinary boy.出自：J. Simms
- just作“刚刚”解时,如时间较短(a moment ago),英式英语中动词用现在完成时,美式英语中动词用一般过去时,有时也可用一般现在时。如时间稍长(a short time ago),无论英美语均用一般过去时。作“很快”“一会儿”(very soon)解时,可用现在时或将来进行时。just now作“刚才”解时动词用一般过去时; 作“现在”“此刻”解时动词用一般现在时或现在进行时; 作“立刻”“马上”解时动词用现在进行时、一般将来时或将来进行时。
- just作“恰好,正是”解时,一般不用于否定句,表示此意的否定句要用not quite。just也可作“刚好,勉强地,好容易才…,仅仅”等解,前面可加only。在非正式文体中, just可作“非常,简直,太”解。just可与疑问副词或疑问代词连用,以加强疑问效果,意为“究竟,到底”。just还可用在表示将来动作的进行时、将来时的句中,作“就要,正要”解。
- 美式英语中常用right now代替just now。
- just作副词时有时还可修饰名词。例如:Just two days ago I saw him.就在两天前,我还见过他。
We didn't want just any baby.(强调any)任何孩子我们都不要。We just didn't want any baby.(强调didn't)我们就是不要孩子。
- just not, not just
这两个同构异序的短语意思并不相同:just not作“差一点儿不,根本不”解,而not just...(but)的意思是“不仅…(还…)”。 试比较:
- He is not just tall, but strong.
- He is just not as tall as his brother.
- just, justly
- Our representative has just spoken.
- He has spoken justly.
- impartial just fair neutral objective
- very right just
- very:very是形容词，用来修饰名词，位于the, this，my等限定词后。
- At the very beginning of this term, they took an exam.
- right:right作副词，用来修饰谓语（常为动词be）或作状语的介词短语等，须放在the, this，my等限定词之前。
- The police looked at the thief right in the eye.
- He is just the actor I want.
误 It is just not what he wanted.
正 It is not quite what he wanted.
析 just作“恰好,正是”解时,一般不用于否定句,表示此意的否定句要用not quite。
- ☆ 1382年进入英语，直接源自古法语的just；最初源自古典拉丁语的juusts，意为正直的，公平的。
- just:just adj. 正义的, 公正的, 正确的, 应得的, 有充分根据的adv. 正好, 仅仅, 刚才, 只是, 不过习惯用语just about 差不多, 几乎(要), 就要 刚好 就在这一带, 大…