- 诚实的,正直的,可靠的 (of a person) trustworthy; not likely to lie, cheat, or steal
- 老实的,真诚的 (of actions, appearance, etc.) typical of an honest person
- 坦诚的,直率的 open and direct; frank
- not disposed to cheat or defraud; not deceptive or fraudulent;
- without dissimulation; frank;
"my honest opinion"
- worthy of being depended on;
"a dependable worker"
"an honest working stiff"
"a reliable sourcSFLe of information"
"he was true to his word"
"I would be true for there are those who trust me"
- without pretensions;
"worked at an honest trade"
"good honest food"
- marked by truth;
"gave honest answers"
- not forged;
"a good dollar bill"
- gained or earned without cheating or stealing;
"an honest wage"
"an fair penny"
- Her action declared her to be an honest woman.
- It was commonly believed that he was an honest man.
- The article is an attempt to defame an honest man.
- An honest judge cannot be servile to public opinion.
- It's an honest book but it hasn't been polished.
An honest judge cannot be servile to public opinion.
She is an honest woman; she won't tell you lies.
He has an honest face.
It's my honest gain.
The factory produced honest yoghurt.
This restaurant serves delicious honest food.
No one is as honest as he is, but he is disliked by a crooked neighbour of his.
All men are not honest.
My secretary is absolutely honest.
The words she said were honest.
He is honest in his dealing.
Be honest in thinking, speech and action.
He was perfectly honest in telling me the story.
He is honest to a fault.
She is always honest with her customers.
I shall be honest with you.
You must be honest with me.
He was very honest to tell me his story.
He looked so honest that we accepted his story for true.
Honest,I don't like this novel.
It's done by me, honest.
I was beginning to worry about you, honest!
- earn an honest penny
用正当的手段谋生 make money honestly
I'm just an ordinary businessman, trying to earn an honest penny. 我只是个普通生意人,想老老实实赚点钱谋生。
Although Bill has been in trouble with the police, he earns an honest penny these days by driving a van. 尽管比尔被警察监禁过,但他现在驾驶运货车,用正当的手段挣钱。
Honest,I only came to see you, just you and nobody else. 说真的,我就是来看你的,别人我谁也不看。
I myself did it, honest. 是我亲手干的，一点不假。
- 用正当的手段谋生 make money honestly
- to be honest
用作插入语, 还可说to be quite honest, to be quite honest about it, to be quite with you等，意思是一样的）
To be honest, I've no idea about his plan. 说真的，我一点也不知道他的计划。
To be quite honest about it, she is not honest. 实话实说，她并不老实。
To be quite honest about it， I'm not sure what to do. 老实说，我拿不准改怎么办。
To be quite honest with you, I don't think you will pass. 老实对你说,我认为你不会及格。
- 用作插入语, 还可说to be quite honest, to be quite honest about it, to be quite with you等，意思是一样的）
- honest with sb 对某人以坦诚相待
Now, my honest man, you have been convicted of felony.出自：J. T. Brockett
- hoonest用作副词意思是“老实说，说实在的，说真格的”，相当于正式文体里的honestly，置于句首或句末，用以强调整个句子的语气。（有人认为是I'm honest的省略，有时也可用插入语to be honest, tobe quitehonest, to be quite honest about it, to be quite with you等，意思是一样的）
- honest前可用quite, perfectly, very等副词修饰,在句中可用作定语或表语。
- honest, frank, sincere
这三个词都有“坦率的”意思。frank着重在表达感情时不畏缩、不保留; honest着重指遵守正直、不欺、不贪等道德标准,可用于不同场合; sincere强调出自内心而不加掩饰。
- ☆ 1300年进入英语，直接源自古法语的honetse；最初源自古典拉丁语的honetsus，意为令人尊敬的。
- honest:honest adj. 诚实的, 正直的习惯用语be honest with 对...说老实话, 同...规规矩矩来往be quite honest about it 老实说(常用作插入语)H-Inj…