- 发源地，发祥地 ，产地
- [C][U]家; 住宅; 家乡,故乡 the house where one lives; a house; the place where one was born or habitually lives
- [C]家庭 the house and family one belongs to
- [S]产地,生长地; 发源地 a place where a plant or animal can be found living or growing wild, especially in large numbers; the place where sth was originally discovered, made, or developed
- [C]收容所,养育院 a place for the care of a group of people or animals of the same type, who do not live with a family
- [U]终点 the finishing line of race
- 家庭的,在家里的; 家乡的; 总部的 of or being a home, place of origin, or base of operation
- 本地的,国内的 not foreign; domestic
- 家用的 prepared, done, or intended for use in a home
- 主场的,主队的 played or playing at one's own sports field, rather than that of an opponent
- 在家,回家,到家 to or at one's home
- 尽可能深地; 击中要害 as far as possible or to the right place
- where you live at a particular time;
"deliver the package to my home"
"he doesn't have a home to go to"
"your place or mine?"
- housing that someone is living in;
"he built a modest dwelling near the pond"
"they raise money to provide homes for the homeless"
- the country or state or city where you live;
"Canadian tariffs enabled United States lumber companies to raise prices at home"
"his home is New Jersey"
- (baseball) base consisting of a rubber slab where the batter stands; it must be touched by a base runner in order to score;
"he ruled that the runner failed to touch home"
- the place where you are stationed and from which missions start and end
- place where something began and flourished;
"the United States is the home of basketball"
- an environment offering affection and security;
"home is where the heart is"
"he grew up in a good Christian home"
"there's no place like home"
- a social unit living together;
"he moved his family to Virginia"
"It was a good Christian household"
"I waited until the whole house was asleep"
"the teacher asked how many people made up his home"
- an institution where people are cared for;
"a home for the elderly"
- used of your own ground;
"a home game"
- relating to or being where one lives or where one's roots are;
"my home town"
- inside the country;
"the British Home Office has broader responsibilities than the United States Department of the Interior"
"the nation's internal politics"
- at or to or in the direction of one's home or family;
"He stays home on weekends"
"after the game the children brought friends home for supper"
"I'll be home tomorrow"
"came riding home in style"
"I hope you will come home for Christmas"
"I'll take her home"
"don't forget to write home"
- on or to the point aimed at;
"the arrow struck home"
- to the fullest extent; to the heart;
"drove the nail home"
"drove his point home"
"his comments hit home"
- provide with, or send to, a home
- return home accurately from a long distance;
- She lives a long way from home.
- My home isn't very big, but very comfortable.
- He is planning to establish a home.
- The aged is taken care of in the old folks home.
- The lake is noted as a home to many birds.
- New Orleans is the home of jazz.
- Is he home from work?
- I bought the magazines on my way home.
- He punched out and went home at six o'clock.
- The delegation will be home next week.
- He struck the nail home.
- This is my home phone number.
- These products are for home sale.
- Our home office is in New York.
- Please let us know as soon as you hear from your home office?
- The home team won the game.
- The referee just called a penalty on the home team.
- Someone will home you when you arrive there.
- The plane homed in on the radio beacon.
This is the finest home in this city.
If you buy that home, will you spend the rest of your life there?
My home is in New York.
My home is both comfortable and sweet.
The poor man always wants to have a really comfortable home.
England became his second home.
He left home at the age of twenty.
The old man looked forward to seeing the old home again.
Neither beasts nor birds would have the bat as their friend, so he was afraid to leave his home.
Yunnan Province is the home of elephants and peacocks.
The United States is the home of jazz.
Some of them are home to rock wrens, swallows and great horned owls.
Paris is the home of women's fashions.
There is a home for the blind in this town.
The hundred metres champion managed to get home by a tenth of a second.
They enjoy home joys.
What is your home address?
Much is produced here for the home market.
The home team was skinned alive this afternoon.
The boss usually heaps work on me just when it's time to go home.
He went home.
She impressed it on me that I must come home early.
I really must be getting home in a moment.
It was nearly dark when I got home.
In the after years the sailor did not get home often.
Mrs. Babbitt was not accustomed to leaving home during the winter.
When he returned home, he found his room fastened.
What were you doing home last night?
Nothing happened home.
He struck the nail home.
The little girl wanted to take this toy home.
You should send her home.
I saw him on his way home.
I met with him on my way home this afternoon.
Mother will be home directly.
He was glad to be home again.
Is Henry home?
- at home
在家 living in one's own home
It is advisable that we (should) stay at home instead of going to the movie. 我们还是不去看电影,呆在家里好。
She went to college in her hometown, and lived at home all the while. 她在家乡念大学,并一直住在家里。
在家接待客人 meeting the guests in home
Mrs. Jones is at home on Thursday. 琼斯太太每星期四在家接待客人。
国内 in one's own country
These things can all be manufactured at home. 这些东西国内都能制造。
- 在家 living in one's own home
- be〔feel〕 at home
精通,对…内行 be familiar with; be accustomed to
I am completely at home in mathematics. 我精通数学。
He feels quite at home in modern history. 他通晓近代史。
Is it difficult to feel at home in a foreign language? 精通一门外语困难吗?
- 精通,对…内行 be familiar with; be accustomed to
- close〔near〕 to home
触到痛处; 说得太露骨 uncomfortably near the truth
Everyone felt that the speaker's remarks hit close to home. 大家都感觉到发言人的话击中了要害。
When the old man spoke about the prejudice, some people felt he had come too close to home. 当那老人讲到偏见时,有些人感到他说得太露骨了。
- 触到痛处; 说得太露骨 uncomfortably near the truth
- eat out of house and home
把某人吃得倾家荡产 eat a lot of food at the cost of (sb) eat sb out of house and home
During the three weeks we entertained John's friends, we were eaten out of house and home.在盛宴款待约翰那些朋友的三周里,我们都快倾家荡产了。
- 把某人吃得倾家荡产 eat a lot of food at the cost of (sb) eat sb out of house and home
- feel at home
无拘无束 feel comfortable or relaxed
He feels at home in my home. 他在我家无拘无束。
She always feels at home in her friend's house. 她在朋友家很随便。
The boy didn't feel at home in such a splendid house. 在这样富丽堂皇的房子里,这男孩感到很拘束。
Although I've never worked for a bank before,I feel quite at home there because I'm used to dealing with figures. 虽然我以前从未在银行工作,但是我在那儿工作很舒适,因为我习惯于同数字打交道。
- 无拘无束 feel comfortable or relaxed
- home from home
像家里一样安适自在的地方 place where one feels as comfortable
We really enjoyed our holiday.The hotel was a home from home. 我们的假日过得真愉快,旅馆像家里一样安适自在。
- 像家里一样安适自在的地方 place where one feels as comfortable
- home is where the heart is
心在家就在 wherever one's family lives is equivalent to home
Although I come from the country,I enjoy sharing a flat in London with Gill—after all, home is where the heart is. 虽然我来自农村,但我却以同吉尔在伦敦共住一个套间为乐——到底还是心在家就在。
- 心在家就在 wherever one's family lives is equivalent to home
- house and home
The war made many people lose their house and home. 战争使许多人无家可归。
- 家庭 family
- last home
坟墓 final resting place; tomb
The World War Ⅱ bomber found a last home in the Hendon aircraft museum. 亨顿飞机博物馆已成为那架第二次世界大战时的轰炸机永久性的收藏地。
- 坟墓 final resting place; tomb
- make oneself at home
随便,无拘束 be as comfortable as if one were in his or her own home
Make yourself at home. 请不要客气。
You should make yourself at home. 你应该像到了自己家一样。
- 随便,无拘束 be as comfortable as if one were in his or her own home
- bring home
(把…)拿〔带〕回家 bring (sb/sth) to one's home bring sth/sb home
I don't like to bring my work home. I'd rather stay late at the office.我宁愿晚点下班,也不愿把活带回家干。
Don't worry,I'll bring you home.不用担心,我会带你回家的。
- (把…)拿〔带〕回家 bring (sb/sth) to one's home bring sth/sb home
- bring home the bacon
〈口〉获得成功 be successful
Since I'm the one who brings home the bacon,I should help to decide how the money is spent. 由于我是养家的人,所以我应该参与决定如何花钱。
Our team went to the games without much hope, but they surprised us and brought home the bacon—three first prizes and two second! 我们队去参加比赛时没抱多大成功的希望,不料大获全胜——荣获三个第一名,两个第二名。
- 〈口〉获得成功 be successful
- bring home to
邀请…作客从而使之遇到 invite sb as one's guest, so as to meet (sb/sth) bring sb home to sth
I like to bring my friends home to a warm welcome from my family.我喜欢邀请朋友到家作客,并使他们受到家里人的热烈欢迎。
使(某人)相信或明白… persuade (sb) to believe (sth) bring sth home to sb
The situation brings home to us the need for drastic preventive measures.这种情况使我们深切地感到,采取坚决的预防措施是必要的。
You must bring home to John what the difficulty is.你必须使约翰了解困难是什么。
You must bring home to Jimmy that we don't have enough money.你必须使吉米相信我们的钱不够。
证明(某人)有(罪); 证明(某人)有(过失) put the blame for (sth wrong) on (sb) bring sth home to sb
The courts are making efforts to bring their crimes home to the young people.法官们正竭力证实那些年轻人有罪。
- 邀请…作客从而使之遇到 invite sb as one's guest, so as to meet (sb/sth) bring sb home to sth
- come home to
使感动; 使…领会 be moved; make (sb) understand
This voice came home to them. 这声音打动了他们的心弦。
The importance of the examination came home to him. 他认识到这次考试的重要性。
My opinion will come home to him at last. 最后他会领会我的意思的。
- 使感动; 使…领会 be moved; make (sb) understand
- come home to roost
得到恶报 return of unpleasantness as a result of previous action
All his lies have come home to roost. 他的一切谎言都得到了恶报。
You should not have sold the car in that unsafe condition; sooner or later your misdeeds will come home to roost. 你不该把那辆不安全的车卖掉,你的不端行为迟早会得到报应。
- 得到恶报 return of unpleasantness as a result of previous action
- drive home
把…完全敲入 drive a nail, bolt, etc. until it has gone fully in
He slammed the door and drove the bolt home. 他砰地一声关上门,把插销拴好。
The carpenter will drive every nail home before he pronounces the work finished. 木匠要把每根钉子钉好了才会说工作做完了。
讲清楚 get sb to understand or realize it clearly
This will help drive home the meaning of the new words. 这有助于把这些生词的词义讲透。
I spoke to him plainly of his duty, and I think I drove the nail home. 他的职责我对他说得很清楚,我认为我的工作已做到家了。
The point was driven home. 这一点大家理解了。
It is no use merely mentioning the fact in passing; it needs to be driven home by emphasis and repetition. 只是顺便提到这个事实,那是没有用处的; 必须通过强调以及重复的方式使人理解。drive sth home to sb
We must drive home to him where the difficulties lie.我们必须使他彻底明白困难在哪儿。
- 把…完全敲入 drive a nail, bolt, etc. until it has gone fully in
- get home (to)
被充分理解; 中肯 make sth clear; make sth obvious to get sth home (to sb)
I can't seem to get it home to my son that extra time spent studying now will pay off in the future.我似乎无法使儿子能明白,现在花在学习上的额外时间将来会有回报的。
The speaker got his point home, and many of his listeners were ashamed.讲演者把话说到点子上了,很多听众都感到惭愧。
- 被充分理解; 中肯 make sth clear; make sth obvious to get sth home (to sb)
- home and dry
安全的; 大功告成 safe; successful
As long as we don't have any accident,I think we'll be home and dry by tonight. 只要我们不出任何事故,我想,今晚我们就会平安无事了。
With only two minutes to go before the end of the game,Chelsea had a three-goal lead and was virtually home and dry. 离比赛结束只有两分钟时,切尔西队已领先3分,而且也基本上大功告成。
- 安全的; 大功告成 safe; successful
- romp home
轻易取胜 win easily
The extra training paid off, and she romped home in record time. 额外的训练得到了补偿,她轻而易举地创造了纪录。
Jimmy romped home well ahead of all other runners. 吉米遥遥领先所有赛跑者而轻易取胜。
- 轻易取胜 win easily
- strike〔thrust〕 home
击中要害; 中肯 hit at the right place
His fist struck home. 他的一拳正中要害处。
His question struck home to the problem. 他的提问切中了这个问题的要害。
Dagger thrust home. 短刀切中了要害。
取得显著的效果 achieve a desired or significant effect
The movie depicting the battles and bloodshed is bound to strike home. 这部描写战斗和流血牺牲的影片一定会取得预期效果。
- 击中要害; 中肯 hit at the right place
- build a home 建一所住宅
- buy a home 买一处住宅
- feel at home 觉得舒服,自在
- go to sb's home 到某人家去
- leave home 离开家
- make a home 安家,成家
- manage a home 治家,管家
- miss one's home 想家
- operate a home 治家,管家
- ring up home 给家里打电话
- run a home 治家,管家
- set out for home 向基地出发
- stay at home 呆在家里
- better-class home 上等的住宅
- broken home 破裂的家庭
- good home 美满的家庭
- happy home 幸福的家庭
- industrial home 工业发源地
- last home 坟墓
- new home 新居
- old home 老家,故里
- private home 私人住宅
- rich home 富裕的家庭
- unhappy home 不幸的家庭
When their business compels them to be away from home.出自：G. B. Shaw
Every family in America deserves a decent home, whether a farmhouse or a city apartment.出自：Lyndon B. Johnson
Home is the place we have to leave in order to grow up.出自：M. Ignatieff
Stray dogs and cats Anna always kept until she found them homes.出自：G. Stein
If we have a dog that has, perhaps, turned on a child, then we home it where there are no children.出自：Maidenhead Advertiser
He worked automatically till it was time to go home.出自：D. H. Lawrence
He liked to explain that he was doing well. He wrote home about it.出自：M. Callaghan
- home的基本意思是“家,故乡”,多指某人出生以及成长的环境或与某人一起居住的地方。在美国口语中, home可与house互换,即把“家”和“住宅”看成一体。home也可作“家庭,家乡”解,这时其前不用冠词。
- 美式英语中“迈克家”可说the Mike home,相当于英式英语的Mr. Mike's。
- 在英式英语中, home用作副词时表示方向,如表示位置,则须用at home。但在美式英语中,也有用副词home表示位置的,如I've been home all day.我整天都在家。这种用法,学生们无模仿的必要。
- home用作副词的基本意思是“在家,回家,到家”,多用在be home, go home, come home, arrive home, bring home, hurry home等短语中作状语。
- home, dwelling, family, house, residence
这五个词都有“家,家庭,家宅”的意思。其区别在于:home指某人出生以及成长的环境或与某人一起居住的地方; dwelling为文学用语,用以同商店、办公室及其他建筑物相区别的住宅; family指的是家庭成员,与居住地无关; house强调人们居住的建筑物本身; residence常指周围大片土地的宅邸,也可指普通的房屋,尤其是自己的住宅。例如:There's nothing like home.哪儿也没有家里好。Their clothes were in rags and their dwellings were small and poorly furnished.他们衣衫褴褛,住房狭小,家具简陋。Because our family is happy and healthy we reckon ourselves fortunate.因为我们一家人幸福健康,我们认为我们是幸运的。She offered to help Rose in house keeping when I was not here.我不在时,她主动帮助露丝料理家务。Buy a house, build a home.买一所房子,安一个家。The President's residence is the White House in Washington,D.C.总统的官邸是华盛顿特区的白宫。
- come home to, go home to
两者意义比较接近,但意境色彩不尽一样:come home to作“触及”解,而go home to则是“感受到”的意思。试比较:
- No truth comes home to the feeling of a writer without living experience.
- 没有生活体验,真情实感是不能触动 作家的灵感的。
- Such an earnestness will go home to any heart.
- her letters home 她写给家里的信
- her home letters 她的家人写给她的信
- She's not got home.
- Is she home yet?
- Is she at home?
误 I arranged to go my friend's home for tea.
正 I arranged to go to my friend's home for tea.
析 如果home前有名词所有格或物主代词,则 home 用作名词,要加适当的介词。
误 He abandoned his cosy family.
正 He abandoned his cosy home.
误 He was born into a doctor's home.
正 He was born into a doctor's family.
析 be born into home不一定说明出身, be born into family(家庭)才表示某人的出身。
误 He didn't know whether to wait or go to home.
正 He didn't know whether to wait or go home.
析 跟在come, go, arrive, get, send, take, bring等动态动词后面的 home为副词,不应加介词。
误 Is he at home from work?
正 Is he home from work?
析 be home可以表示“(下班)回家”“回来”,相当于 return home; be at home 可以表示“在家里”,相当于 in the house。
误 Living home would save the student a lot of money.
正 Living at home would save the student a lot of money.
析 home用作副词时一般与be或go等动态动词连用表示方向。如果与静态动词(如本句中的live)连用时表示位置,一般用at home。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的ham；最初源自挪威语的heimr，意为人躺或住地的方。
- n.(名词) birthplace dwelling family root
- adj.(形容词) domestic family inland internal local national native