- 外国的,在本国以外的; 从外国来的 to, from, of, in, being, or concerning a country or nation that is not one's own or not the one being talked about or considered
- [P]不属于本身的; 无关的,不相干的 having no place; having no relation
- [A]外来的; 异质的 coming or brought in from outside; not belonging
- of concern to or concerning the affairs of other nations (other than your own);
"a foreign office"
- relating to or originating in or characteristic of another place or part of the world;
"a foreign accent"
"on business in a foreign city"
- not contained in or deriving from the essential nature of something;
"an economic theory alien to the spirit of capitalism"
"the mysticism so foreign to the French mind and temper"
"jealousy is foreign to her nature"
- not belonging to that in which it is contained; introduced from an outside source;
"water free of extraneous matter"
"foreign particles in milk"
- Our foreign trade has expanded during recent years.
- It's not easy to master a foreign language.
- He's visited many foreign countries and has learnt several foreign languages.
- The swelling on her finger was caused by a foreign body in it.
- She's a very good woman; unkindness is foreign to her nature.
At the banquet all the foreign guests wore evening dress.
These artistic handicrafts are very popular with foreign friends.
They said foreign correspondents who stayed too long in a place went blind.
The new hotel is destined for the reception of foreign visitors.
He lives in a foreign country.
A foreign language is a weapon in the struggle of life.
He has travelled much in foreign parts.
Tourism has been Thailand's biggest earner of foreign exchange since 1982.
We hope for foreign aid but cannot depend on it.
Several news commentators hit out at the president on his foreign policy.
This metal, oil, soap contains foreign matter.
This food contains foreign matter.
We oppose copying everything foreign.
I can't understand what he says, he must be foreign.
- foreign body〔substance〕
异物,杂质 object that should not present
Waiter!There is a foreign body in my soup! 服务员!我的汤里有异物!
The swelling on her finger was caused by a foreign body in it. 她手指肿大是内有异物所致。
The trouble with cheap wine is that it may be contaminated with foreign substance. 廉价酒的问题在于它被异物污染。
- 异物,杂质 object that should not present
- foreign to
本身所无的; 不适宜的 not belonging to; not suitable for
Lying is foreign to the child. 这孩子从不说谎。
Sitting still is foreign to a boy's nature. 老老实实地坐着不是男孩的本性。
He is a very good person, cruelty is foreign to his nature. 他为人很善良,性格上没有半点残暴。
Your argument is foreign to the question. 你的论点与问题无关。
What you say is foreign to our purpose. 你的话和我们的目的无关。
The subject is foreign to us. 我们对这个题目很陌生。
- 本身所无的; 不适宜的 not belonging to; not suitable for
- on foreign soil
We went for a day's trip to Calais and it was the first time we'd set foot on foreign soil. 我们去加来一日游,那是我们第一次踏上异国的土地。
- 在异国土地,在外国 abroad
- foreign affairs 外交事务
- foreign aid 外国的援助,外援
- foreign body 异物
- foreign exchange 外汇
- foreign factor 外来因素
- foreign film 外国影片
- foreign flavour 外国风味
- foreign friend 外国朋友
- foreign language 外语
- foreign policy 外交政策
- foreign service 驻外机构
- foreign students 留学生
- foreign things 洋物
- foreign trade 外贸
- foreign word 外来字
He fell, crying and howling in a foreign tongue to gods of his own in the northland.出自：H. Belloc
- foreign的基本意思是“外国的,在本国以外的; 从外国来的”。
- foreign也可作“不属于本身的; 无关的,不相干的”解,常接介词to表示“和…格格不入”“和…不相干”。引申可作“异质的”解。
- foreign notepaper和foreign letter paper都指一种“薄信纸”,不指“外国纸”或“出口纸”。
- foreign, alien
误 She blushed as she spoke, for lying is foreign with her nature.
正 She blushed as she spoke, for lying is foreign to her nature.
析 foreign 用来表达“和…格格不入”“和…不相干”时,后面应该加介词to,而不加 with或别的介词。
误 Three couples of foreigners live on the third floor.
正 Three foreign couples live on the third floor.
析 “三对外国夫妇”译成three couples of foreigners不符合英语习惯说法,应该改为 three foreign couples。“一对美国夫妇”是an American couple,若写成a couple of Americans就可能是两个美国人了。
误 He has placed an order for a foreigner's car.
正 He has placed an order for a foreign-made car.
- ☆ 1300年进英入语，直接源自古法语的forain；最初源自古典拉丁语的foris，意为门外。
- foreign:foreign adj. 外国的, 外交的, 外国产的, 外来的, [医]异质的, 不相关的 英英解释:形容词foreign:1. of concern to or concerning the af…