- [C]机会,运气,转机 chance, especially regarded as a power affecting people's lives; luck
- [U]前途,命运 person's destiny or future; fate
- [C]大笔的钱,巨款 large amount of money
an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that causes an event to result one way rather than another;
"bad luck caused his downfall"
"we ran into each other by pure chance"
a large amount of wealth or prosperity
an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that leads to a favorable outcome;
"it was my good luck to be there"
"they say luck is a lady"
"it was as if fortune guided his hand"
your overall circumstances or condition in life (including everything that happens to you);
"whatever my fortune may be"
"deserved a better fate"
"has a happy lot"
"the luck of the Irish"
"a victim of circumstances"
"success that was her portion"
- Everyone is the architect of his own fortune.
- An ill marriage is a spring of ill fortune.
- He dreamed of making a fortune.
- I rate his fortune at$10,000.
- These two brothers decided to go to America to try their fortunes.
- By a stroke of fortune, he won the competition.
- The fortune of the young diplomat began to wane.
- He did not deserve such fortune.
- What wonderful good fortune she was enjoying!
- In the following years, his fortunes improved considerably.
- The party's fortunes were at their lowest level after the election defeat.
- He is ready to do anything on earth to better his fortunes.
- Though all his changing fortune, he never lost courage.
- I had my fortune told last week.
- She said she would cast in her fortune with me.
- Fortune smiled on us.
- Yet Fortune was bending over him just ready to let fall a burden of gold.
- They built their early fortunes on the sufferings of the Black people.
- He dreamed of making a fortune.
- He has run through his whole fortune.
- I seem to have spent an absolute fortune on food this week!
- His father left him an immense fortune.
- She won a fortune in a lottery.
- She had a little fortune in the bank with which to help her sister.
- This story will make your fortune.
- Philip was known to be a young man without fortune.
- affect one's fortune 影响命运
- enjoy good fortune 交好运
- leave one's fortune with Heaven 听天由命
- share each other's fortune 同甘共苦
- try one's fortune 碰运气
- bring sb good fortune 给某人带来好运气
- build up the family fortune 发家致富
- come into a fortune 继承一笔财产
- go through one's fortune 耗尽财产
- have a fortune 有财产
- leave a fortune to sb 留给某人一笔遗产
- lose a fortune 失掉财产
- make a fortune 发财
- marry a fortune 同有钱的人结婚
- pile up a fortune 积聚财富
- seek one's fortune 寻出路
- spend fortune 花钱
- step into a fortune 继承一笔财产
- succeed to a fortune 继承一笔财产
- bad fortune 不幸的命运,厄运
- changing fortune 多变的命运
- good fortune 好运气
- ill fortune 厄运,不幸的命运
- political fortune 政治命运,官运
- ample fortune 大笔财产
- entire fortune 全部财产
- handsome fortune 大笔财产
- huge fortune 巨额财产
- large fortune 大笔财产
- vast fortune 巨额财产
When fortune changed..his real propensities began to show themselves.出自： Ld Macaulay
- make a fortune表示“发财”，make one's fortune表示“发达”，“成功”或“成家立业”；
- 注意fortune的单复数形式，在tell fortunes中用复数，表示“算命”，而在tell (him) his fortune等表达中用单数，表示“请人给他算命”；
- good fortune或单用fortune解释为“好运”时，fortune属抽象名词，前不可加a，也没有复数形式；
表达方式have the good fortune后可加不定式。
I had the good fortune to meet him there.
- fortune, chance, luck
- We had the luck to get the best seats.我们真幸运,得到了最好的座位。
- Chance plays an important part in many card games.在许多纸牌游戏中运气起很大作用。
- What wonderful fortune she was enjoying!她多走运啊!
- fortune, estate, property
- 这组词都有“财产”的意思。property指个人或团体合法获得的任何有价值的东西,也可指版权、专利权等无形的权益,有时也可指某物的效果; estate多指一大块私有土地及设置在这块土地上的房屋等物,有权遗传给后代子孙的地产,也可称为庄园或遗产; fortune指钱财,尤指大量的钱财。
误 He did a fortune in the coal and iron business before he went into politics.
正 He made a fortune in the coal and iron business before he went into politics.
析 表示“发财”用make a fortune,其中动词不能用do。他在石油行业发了财。
误 He made fortune in oil.
正 He made a fortune in oil.
- ☆ 1300年左右进入英语，直接源自古法语的fortune；最初源自古典拉丁语的fortuna，意为机会，运气。