- [C]机会,运气,转机 chance, especially regarded as a power affecting people's lives; luck
- [U]前途,命运 person's destiny or future; fate
- [C]大笔的钱,巨款 large amount of money
- an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that causes an event to result one way rather than another;
"bad luck caused his downfall"
"we ran into each other by pure chance"
- a large amount of wealth or prosperity
- an unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that leads to a favorable outcome;
"it was my good luck to be there"
"they say luck is a lady"
"it was as if fortune guided his hand"
- your overall circumstances or condition in life (including everything that happens to you);
"whatever my fortune may be"
"deserved a better fate"
"has a happy lot"
"the luck of the Irish"
"a victim of circumstances"
"success that was her portion"
- Everyone is the architect of his own fortune.
- An ill marriage is a spring of ill fortune.
- He dreamed of making a fortune.
- These two brothers decided to go to America to try their fortunes.
By a stroke of fortune, he won the competition.
The fortune of the young diplomat began to wane.
He did not deserve such fortune.
What wonderful good fortune she was enjoying!
In the following years, his fortunes improved considerably.
The party's fortunes were at their lowest level after the election defeat.
He is ready to do anything on earth to better his fortunes.
Though all his changing fortune, he never lost courage.
I had my fortune told last week.
She said she would cast in her fortune with me.
Fortune smiled on us.
Yet Fortune was bending over him just ready to let fall a burden of gold.
They built their early fortunes on the sufferings of the Black people.
He dreamed of making a fortune.
He has run through his whole fortune.
I seem to have spent an absolute fortune on food this week!
His father left him an immense fortune.
She won a fortune in a lottery.
She had a little fortune in the bank with which to help her sister.
This story will make your fortune.
Philip was known to be a young man without fortune.
- affect one's fortune 影响命运
- enjoy good fortune 交好运
- leave one's fortune with Heaven 听天由命
- share each other's fortune 同甘共苦
- try one's fortune 碰运气
- bring sb good fortune 给某人带来好运气
- build up the family fortune 发家致富
- come into a fortune 继承一笔财产
- go through one's fortune 耗尽财产
- have a fortune 有财产
- leave a fortune to sb 留给某人一笔遗产
- lose a fortune 失掉财产
- make a fortune 发财
- marry a fortune 同有钱的人结婚
- pile up a fortune 积聚财富
- seek one's fortune 寻出路
- spend fortune 花钱
- step into a fortune 继承一笔财产
- succeed to a fortune 继承一笔财产
- bad fortune 不幸的命运,厄运
- changing fortune 多变的命运
- good fortune 好运气
- ill fortune 厄运,不幸的命运
- political fortune 政治命运,官运
- ample fortune 大笔财产
- entire fortune 全部财产
- handsome fortune 大笔财产
- huge fortune 巨额财产
- large fortune 大笔财产
- vast fortune 巨额财产
When fortune changed..his real propensities began to show themselves.出自：Ld Macaulay
- make a fortune表示“发财”，make one's fortune表示“发达”，“成功”或“成家立业”；
- 注意fortune的单复数形式，在tell fortunes中用复数，表示“算命”，而在tell (him) his fortune等表达中用单数，表示“请人给他算命”；
- good fortune或单用fortune解释为“好运”时，fortune属抽象名词，前不可加a，也没有复数形式；
表达方式have the good fortune后可加不定式。
I had the good fortune to meet him there.
- fortune, chance, luck
这三个词的共同意思是“运气”。其区别是：luck是口语用词,可指好的或坏的运气,没有修饰语时,多指好运,往往含有成功或愉快之义;chance侧重偶然的、无法推测的因素;fortune指决定或影响未来的机遇,常含有变幻无常和人力无法改变的意味。例如:We had the luck to get the best seats.我们真幸运,得到了最好的座位。Chance plays an important part in many card games.在许多纸牌游戏中运气起很大作用。What wonderful fortune she was enjoying!她多走运啊!
- fortune, estate, property
这组词都有“财产”的意思。property指个人或团体合法获得的任何有价值的东西,也可指版权、专利权等无形的权益,有时也可指某物的效果; estate多指一大块私有土地及设置在这块土地上的房屋等物,有权遗传给后代子孙的地产,也可称为庄园或遗产; fortune指钱财,尤指大量的钱财。
- destiny fate lot doom luck fortune
误 He did a fortune in the coal and iron business before he went into politics.
正 He made a fortune in the coal and iron business before he went into politics.
析 表示“发财”用make a fortune,其中动词不能用do。
误 He made fortune in oil.
正 He made a fortune in oil.
- ☆ 1300年左右进入英语，直接源自古法语的fortnue；最初源自古典拉丁语的fortnua，意为机会，运气。
- fortune:fortune n. 财富, 运气, 大量财产, 好运, 命运vt. 偶然发生vt. 给...以大宗财富习惯用语a small fortune [口, 谑]一笔巨款be in good fortune…