- lose one's emotional or mental composure;
"She fell apart when her only child died"
- go to pieces;
"The lawn mower finally broke"
"The gears wore out"
"The old chair finally fell apart completely"
- break or fall apart into fragments;
"The cookies crumbled"
"The Sphinx is crumbling"
- become separated into pieces or fragments;
"The figurine broke"
"The freshly baked loaf fell apart"
- Everything's falling apart; the whole system needs jacking up.
- I'm falling apart.
- I never fall apart because I never fall together.
- That country will fall to pieces sooner or later.
- Our relationship is falling apart at the seams.
- Their marriage finally fell apart.
- Cheap clothes tend to fall apart when you wash them.
- Analyses of some of the larger chunks reveal details about how the comet is falling apart.