lose one's emotional or mental composure;
"She fell apart when her only child died"
go to pieces;
"The lawn mower finally broke"
"The gears wore out"
"The old chair finally fell apart completely"
break or fall apart into fragments;
"The cookies crumbled"
"The Sphinx is crumbling"
become separated into pieces or fragments;
"The figurine broke"
"The freshly baked loaf fell apart"
- His promising career began to fall apart.
- My whole life had come apart at the seams.
- I never fall apart because I never fall together.
- That country will fall to pieces sooner or later.
- Our relationship is falling apart at the seams.
- Their marriage finally fell apart.
- Cheap clothes tend to fall apart when you wash them.
- Analyses of some of the larger chunks reveal details about how the comet is falling apart.