- 凉快的,凉爽的; 冷色的 fairly cold; pleasant cold; (of colours) suggesting coolness
- 冷静的,镇定的 calm; unexcited
- 冷漠的; 厚颜无耻的 not as friendly as usual ; calmly bold or impudent
- 令人愉快的,棒的 pleasant; very good
- [A]整整的 exact
- vt. & vi. 使变凉; 冷却 make cool; become cool
- [S]凉爽 a temperature that is pleasantly cold
- [S]镇静,平静 calm
- the quality of being at a refreshingly low temperature;
"the cool of early morning"
- great coolness and composure under strain;
"keep your cool"
- neither warm nor very cold; giving relief from heat;
"a cool autumn day"
"a cool room"
"cool summer dresses"
"a cool breeze"
- marked by calm self-control (especially in trying circumstances); unemotional;
"play it cool"
"stayed coolheaded in the crisis"
"the most nerveless winner in the history of the tournament"
- (color) inducing the impression of coolness; used especially of greens and blues and violets;
"cool greens and blues and violets"
- psychologically cool and unenthusiastic; unfriendly or unresponsive or showing dislike;
"relations were cool and polite"
"a cool reception"
"cool to the idea of higher taxes"
- (used of a number or sum) without exaggeration or qualification;
"a cool million bucks"
- fashionable and attractive at the time; often skilled or socially adept;
"he's a cool dude"
"Mary's dress is really cool"
"it's not cool to arrive at a party too early"
- make cool or cooler;
"Chill the food"
- loose heat;
"The air cooled considerably after the thunderstorm"
- lose intensity;
"His enthusiasm cooled considerably"
- A brisk walk in cool weather is invigorating.
- A cool breeze blew from the lake.
- As it was a hot day, she wore a cool dress.
- The occasion calls for a cool head.
- Even when you argue, you should try to keep cool.
- The official was very cool to the idea of higher taxes.
- Trees cool the air as well as clean it.
- Mother put the pie at the window to cool it.
- I'm going into the woods to cool off.
- His anger hasn't cooled yet.
- I hope the two countries will cool off a bit, or there will be a war.
- I like to feel the cool of the early morning.
- Please keep your cool on such occasion.
- The pleasant cool under the trees refreshed the tired boy.
- A real warrior can keep cool while fighting a strong enemy.
- The cool manipulators in Hanoi had exploited America's hesitations and self-doubt.
A cool breeze brushed his face, ruffling his hair.
Warm air is going up, heavy cool air moves in to take the place of it.
She smoothed the lines of worry away with her cool fingers.
The occasion calls for a cool head.
You should have seen the cool way she took my radio without even asking.
The car cost a cool twenty thousand.
It's late summer, soon the days will be cooler.
The climate over the period was moderate to cool.
I think that it will be rather cool today.
Metal contracts as it becomes cool.
His manner was very cool.
Her guy is real cool.
I found them cool to the idea.
Let your tea cool a little before you drink it.
Has his anger cooled yet?
By that time her enthusiasm had cooled.
Cool the soup before freezing it.
The rain has cooled the air.
The steam is therefore cooled, and it condenses back to water.
He was always cooled in the face of danger.
I like the cool of the evening in summer.
The city's population prepared to flee heat for the relative cool of the rivers.
In the cool of the evening, the whole family went out for a walk.
- as cool as a cucumber
非常凉爽 very cold
Sitting under the shade of this tree,I am as cool as a cucumber on this hot day. 坐在这树阴底下,就是这样的热天我也感到非常凉爽。
He kept as cool as a cucumber as the newspaper reporters all shouted questions at him at once. 当新闻记者们一直同时向他提出问题时,他一直保持冷静沉着。
- 非常凉爽 very cold
- keep a cool head
保持冷静 remain calm
Your job is dangerous, you have to keep a cool head in case you hurt yourself. 你的工作有危险性,你必须保持冷静的头脑,以免伤害自己。
It's a distinct advantage around here to keep a cool head when things begin to go wrong. 事情开始出差错时,保持清醒的头脑是这里的一个显著优点。
- 保持冷静 remain calm
- keep cool
- 〔说明〕 keep cool通常不用于进行体。
保持凉爽; 保持不热 remain cold; prevent from becoming too warm keep cool
I keep cool by staying in the shade and not moving much.由于我呆在树阴下,不多走动,所以还不热。
How do you keep so cool in such hot weather?这么热的天,你身上怎么还是凉凉的呢?keep sb/sth cool
Suitable clothing also helps to keep you cool.适当的衣服也能使你感到凉快。
Housewives used to keep milk cool by covering the bottle with a stone pot.过去家庭主妇们常用石钵罩住奶瓶,防止牛奶变热。
〈非正〉保持冷静 remain calm; refuse to be come excited, afraid, etc. keep cool
One of Hal's great strengths is the ability to keep cool when things start to go wrong.哈尔最大的优点之一就是，出问题时他能保持沉着、冷静。keep sth cool
Keep your head cool.请冷静些。
- cool down (v.+adv.)
(使)变凉 (cause to) become cool cool down
Her passion for her teacher has cooled down.她对她老师的热恋已经冷却下来了。
冷静下来 become calmer or less angry cool down
Cool down; there's no need to lose your temper over such a trivial matter.冷静些,没必要为区区小事发脾气。
I shall let him cool down before discussing the subject.在讨论这个题目之前,我应该让他冷静下来。
I thought you'd never cool down after what Harold said to you.我本来以为哈罗德告诉你那些事后,你绝不会漠然置之的。
Her friendship for me has cooled down.她对我的友情已渐冷淡。cool sb/oneself ⇔ down
What he said cooled me down.他的话使我平静了一些。
Try to cool yourself down a bit before you say anything.你稍许冷静一下再讲话吧。
- (使)变凉 (cause to) become cool cool down
- cool it (v.+pron.)
冷静下来 calm down
Cool it!Don't get so excited! 静一静吧!别那么激动!
Stop fighting, you boys!Now cool it! 孩子们,不要打了!冷静些!
- 冷静下来 calm down
- cool off (v.+adv.)
变凉 become cool cool off
Thank heavens, it's cooled off a little.谢天谢地,天气总算凉快一点儿了。
Come on, have some ice tea and cool off.来,喝点冰茶,凉快一下。
His affection for her gradually cooled off.他对她的爱情渐渐淡薄了。
- 变凉 become cool cool off
- keep〔wear〕 one's cool
保持冷静 remain calm
I try to keep my cool even when the people around me are hurling insults at each other. 即使我周围的人互相辱骂,我也力图使自己保持冷静。
If you keep your cool you won't fail. 如果你保持镇定,你就不会失败了。
Nobody could wear his cool when he visited the refugee camp. 访问难民营的人不可能无动于衷。
- 保持冷静 remain calm
- lose one's cool
〈非正〉失去冷静; 发脾气 lose one's calmness or temper
Although the group was in danger from a threatened avalanche, their guide never lost his cool. 尽管这伙人面临着雪崩的危险,但他们的向导仍不失常态。
Their employer seemed calm during the discussion, but he lost his cool when he heard their final demand for a pay increase. 在讨论时他们的老板显得很冷静,但当他听到他们提出加工资的最后要求时,他沉不住气了。
- 〈非正〉失去冷静; 发脾气 lose one's calmness or temper
- comfortably cool 令人舒适的凉快
- delightedly cool 令人舒适的凉快
- moderately cool 令人舒适的凉快
- really cool 的确很凉爽
- terribly cool 极其冷淡
- cool as a cucumber 非常镇静,泰然自若
- cool in the face of danger 在危险面前能保持镇定
- cool to 对…冷淡的
- cool to the idea 对这个想法不热心
- cool towards 对…冷淡的
- gradually cool 逐渐变凉
- cool down 冷却,变凉,镇定下来
- cool down an angry man 使发怒者平静下来
- cool off 使凉；杀掉
- cool off one's passion 使某人的热情消失
- cool off toward a person 疏远某人
- cool of the shade 树下的阴凉处
Papa walked in the garden in the cool of the evening.出自：M. Sinclair
Very cool, clear and efficient, she found..a new flat and settled into it.出自：D. Lessing
The rain cooled..to a damp mist.出自：Scott Fitzgerald
You want to calm down...Cool out.出自：T. Morrison
Strindberg cooled on the idea, the project lapsed.出自：M. Meyer
- cool也可指颜色给人以凉爽感觉的、冷的,引申可表示人心境平和,即“冷静的,镇定的”,还可表示“冷漠的; 厚颜无耻的”。
- cool一般不用very修饰，“天气很凉”一般说nice and cool。
- cool, chilly, cold
这三个词的共同意思是“温度低,冷的”。其区别是：1.从温度上说, chilly最冷, cold次之, cool再次之。chilly指“寒冷”, cold指“冷”, cool指“凉爽”。2.从人的心理上说, chilly是人所不愿; cold多指人所不愿、令人不快,也可指所期望的低温,为人所愿意; cool则多指温度宜人,令人感到舒服。例如:I felt chilly in the wind.风吹得我感到寒冷。He has only a cold drink on a hot day.在大热天里他只有一杯冷饮。We hope for a cool day for the game.我们希望比赛那天天气凉爽。3.用于人时，cool指心境平和、冷静, cold指冷落、不热情,而chilly则不仅指不热情,而且不友好,甚至“冷酷”。
- ☆ 直接源自中古英语c的ol；最初源自古英语c的ol，意为冷，凉。
- cool:简介 韩国1994年出道的这个两男一女组合「Cool」，十多年来叁位成员金成秀、柔里 (U Ri) 和李在勋 (Lee Jae Hun) 一直合作无间，以风格独特的轻快跳舞音乐为主干，每年夏天必定推出…