- 热切的,渴望的 marked by strong interest or impatient desire; full of enthusiasm
a high wave (often dangerous) caused by tidal flow (as by colliding tidal currents or in a narrow estuary)
having or showing keen interest or intense desire or impatient expectancy;
"eager to learn"
"eager to travel abroad"
"eager for success"
"an eager look"
- He is eager for you to meet his friends.
- Eager fans mobbed the popular singer.
- The boys listened to my story with eager attention.
- He was eager to see her.
- The company is eager to expand into new markets.
- She listened with eager attention.
- He is an eager student.
- The engineer was an eager participant in technical co-operation.
- He is eager about his studies.
- She is eager about her progress.
- I am not now so eager about your coming to town as I was.
- He was eager after knowledge.
- Susan was eager in winning his heart.
- She is very eager in her studies.
- I am eager to learn how to ride a bicycle.
- The child is eager to have the candy.
- He is always eager to win.
- He is becoming eager to study.
- He is eager to travel.
- We were all eager to see him again.
- I am not so eager to get a new car now, the prices have gone up.
- Now she was back, eager to see her friends.
- He was desperately eager to be back after more than a week's absence from school.
- He was too eager to succeed.
- I am eager for you to meet my new friends.
- I am eager for the performance to begin.
- The head is eager that all the workers should come in time.
- eager beaver
〈美口〉做事异常卖力的人; 雄心勃勃的人 sb who is overzealous
- eager for
渴望,想得到 full of interest in or desire for
- eager looks 焦急的样子
It is a nipping and an eager air.出自：Hamlet , Shakespeare
- eager的比较级、最高级有eagerer, eagerest和more eager, most eager两种形式。
- be eager常与介词for, about, after连用,而不与of连用,也可跟that引导的从句,属于较正式的用法,从句中的谓语动词一般为虚拟式。
- be eager也可以接动词不定式,表示“渴望做什么”,也可接由介词for所引出的逻辑主语。
- be too eager to- v 的意义不是否定的,而是肯定的。
- eager, anxious
- anxious着重消极的“担心”或“焦急”, eager着重积极的“对成功的期望”“急于”或“进取的热情”,带有更多的焦虑情绪。例如:
- The doctors are anxious about his health.医生们都担心他的健康状况。
- He is eager about his studies.他对学习很热心。
- eager, ardent, earnest, enthusiastic, zealous
- 1.eager指对成功的期望或进取的热情; earnest表示认真执著地对待一项工作; ardent指有如火一般炽热的感情; enthusiastic指根据爱好、兴趣而产生的热情洋溢的情感; zealous多指奉献的热情,也可指强烈的宗教信仰。例如:
- She is enthusiastic about the new teaching method.她对新的教学方法很热心。
- He was an ardent supporter of the reform.他是改革的热情支持者。
- It is my earnest wish that you use this money to further your research.我真诚希望你用这笔钱继续你的研究工作。
- The youths like to be zealous for liberty and freedom.青年人喜欢热情地追求自由。
- 2.eager含有难以等待或难以抑制的意味; earnest带有充满热情、专心、无私的含义; enthusiastic含有对某事极端酷爱、仰慕或赞许的含义; zealous则暗示热情来自信仰或态度以及为此而采取行动的可能性。例如:
- He made an earnest attempt to persuade her.他热心努力地去说服她。
- I am enthusiastic over a project for building a new bridge.我热衷于修建一座新桥的规划。
- They were zealous in the pursuit of the truth.他们热切追求真理。
- 3.earnest比eager更慎重、认真、持久; enthusiastic比earnest更生动。例如:
- Mary is an earnest student.玛丽是个认真的学生。
- When we put the suggestion to him he was enthusiastic for its immediate application.当我们把这项建议提交给他时,他热衷于马上把它付诸实施。
- eager, keen
- 这两个词都可表示“渴望”。keen着重指极大的兴趣引起的渴望; eager指巨大的热情所产生的渴望,有时表示急不可耐的心情。
误 I was eager when my child was thrown from the horse.
正 I was anxious when my child was thrown from the horse.
析 eager和anxious都有“着急”的意思。但eager着重强调对美好事物的向往,可译作“渴望”,意为急于看到某事的发生; 而anxious更多强调“焦急”“忧虑”,意为“担心”某事发生。投机商们总是迫切希望立刻获得赢利。
误 The speculators are always eager to a quick profit.
正 The speculators are always eager for a quick profit.
析 表示“急于做某事”“盼望”“想得到”时,可用be eager for n. 形式,或用 be eager to- v 结构。人人都巴不得一试身手。
误 Every man was eager trying his skill.
正 Every man was eager to try his skill.
- ☆ 13世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自中古英语的egre，最初源自拉丁语的acer，意为渴望的，热心的。