- [C]连衣裙 garment for a woman or girl, consisting of a bodice and skirt in one piece
- [U]衣服,服装 clothes, especially outer garments for either men or women
- vt. & vi. 给…穿衣,穿着 put clothes on oneself or sb else
- vt. & vi. 装饰,打扮 ornament; brush and comb
a one-piece garment for a woman; has skirt and bodice
clothing of a distinctive style or for a particular occasion;
clothing in general;
"she was refined in her choice of apparel"
"he always bought his clothes at the same store"
"fastidious about his dress"
suitable for formal occasions;
"a full-dress uniform"
(of an occasion) requiring formal clothes;
"a dress dinner"
"a full-dress ceremony"
put on clothes;
"we had to dress quickly"
"dress the patient"
"Can the child dress by herself?"
provide with clothes or put clothes on;
"Parents must feed and dress their child"
put a finish on;
"dress the surface smooth"
dress in a certain manner;
"She dresses in the latest Paris fashion"
"he dressed up in a suit and tie"
dress or groom with elaborate care;
"She likes to dress when going to the opera"
kill and prepare for market or consumption;
"dress a turkey"
arrange in ranks;
decorate (food), as with parsley or other ornamental foods
provide with decoration;
"dress the windows"
put a dressing on;
"dress the salads"
cultivate, tend, and cut back the growth of;
"dress the plants in the garden"
cut down rough-hewn (lumber) to standard thickness and width
convert into leather;
"dress the tanned skins"
apply a bandage or medication to;
"dress the victim's wounds"
give a neat appearance to;
"groom the dogs"
"dress the horses"
"dress my hair for the wedding"
- She wears a beautiful evening dress.
- She wore a diamond clip on her new dress.
- They tried to dress him up as a"national hero".
- She always dresses in black.
- She is parading the hall in her new dress.
- Li Mei is wearing a yellow dress today.
- I dress my sister and wash her hands and face.
- I am going to charge a new dress, and pay for it at the end of the month.
- I am only taking two dresses on holiday, so I will have to alternate the green dress with the blue one.
- She cut out a new dress.
- She wore a coat with a dress underneath.
- She wears a black dress with matching accessories.
- She wore a pink dress trimmed with ostrich feathers at the evening party.
- The girl who is wearing a yellow dress there is my classmate.
- Only women and girls wear dresses.
- This dress is rather loose, but it only needs catching in a little at the waist.
- A gust of wind billowed the sleeves and skirts of women's dresses.
- Her dress was a vivid colour.
- The new dress brought out her hidden beauty.
- The child was badly burned when her dress caught alight as she was standing by an electric radiator.
- That day they all put on their very best dress.
- She purposely made the dress larger to allow for shrinking when it was washed.
- If you don't like the dress you bought, you can always bring it back with the sales receipt.
- The man was asking ￡5 for the dress, but I got him down to ￡4.50.
- You'd better do over the stitching in the dress to make sure that it lasts.
- It was very hot. I went upstairs and changed into a thinner dress.
- You must change into a clean dress before we go out.
- Her father bought her a beautiful dress for her birthday.
- He dressed and ate little better than the peasants.
- They dressed neatly and simply.
- They all dressed badly.
- White-collar ladies dress beautifully.
- He said he would have gone to the party if he didn't have to dress.
- I can't go because I haven't time to dress properly.
- I'll be ready in a moment; I'm dressing.
- Now, just eight years old,Maria can dress herself.
- Harry dressed like a gentleman, and lived expensively.
- He dresses young.
- My daughter is too young to dress herself.
- The little boy isn't old enough to dress himself.
- It's cold outside.Dress yourself more warmly.
- He dressed himself in a hurry and left.
- How long does it take you to dress yourself?
- How much does it cost him to dress his wife and his daughters?
- She dresses her family on small budget.
- The famous tailor dresses a number of society women in the city.
- She dressed her hair with taste.
- On Sunday evening he dressed himself with special care.
- The doctor cleaned and dressed the wound.
- He went to the clinic to dress his injuries.
- The nurse dressed the wounds of the soldiers until midnight.
- The peasants weeded and dressed the field with great care while the crop was growing.
- My mother can dress fish very well.
- Don't dress the salad until we are ready to eat.
- It doesn't matter how you're dressed.
- He was then dressed as a peasant.
- The wounds all over her body had to be dressed every day.
- Are you dressed yet?
- Now you get dressed and go out and try your luck.
- Please dress me a fruit salad.
- dress down (v.+adv.)
责骂,斥责 scold; tell off
She dressed down to visit her poor relatives, so as not to offend them by a show of her wealth.
她访问穷亲戚时穿得比较俭朴,以免因显示阔气而伤害他们的感情。dress sb ⇔ down
The father dressed his boy down for his carelessness.
The manager dressed the worker down for his carelessness.
For not obeying discipline, the soldier was dressed down by the officer.
The office boy was dressed down for his insolence.
- dress for (v.+prep.)
(为某一场合)穿适当的衣服 dress up for some goals (wedding, party, etc.)
dress for sth
Try to dress appropriately for each occasion.
He dressed for dinner.
Tell the guests not to dress for dinner.
How should we dress for the party?
Do I need to dress for the theatre?
If you're going to climb mountains, you'd better take advice on how to dress for it.
- dress in (v.+prep.)
穿着…衣服 wear; put on
dress oneself/sb in sth
We are going to dress the baby in new clothes and take her to the park.
He's dressed in silk.
Jane is always dressed in red.
We must be dressed in uniform at school.
They were dressed in their Sunday best.
The young man was dressed in a white satin clothes and wore a hat covered with an ostrich plume.
- dress out (v.+adv.)
装饰,美化 ornament (sth); make (sth) more beautiful and cheerful
dress sth ⇔ out
The street was dressed out in flags when the victory was won.
- dress up (v.+adv.)
〈军〉将(士兵)排成一列 arrange (soldiers) in a straight line
She often dresses up and goes out at night.
They dressed up for the occasion.
They all dressed up to take part in the New Year's party.
Are we going to dress up for the wedding, or is it informal?
She dressed up in Miao clothes.
她穿上了苗族服装。dress sb/sth ⇔ up
They dressed the children up.
The mother dressed her daughter up like a princess.
She dressed her children up for the festival.
The girl has dressed up her hair.
We shall dress the room up for Christmas.
He dressed up his statement to deceive the voters.
She hated being dressed up.
她讨厌打扮自己。dress sb/sth ⇔ up as n\u002e
Tom dressed up the story and made it seem twice as interesting as it was.
汤姆把故事讲得有声有色,趣味倍增。dress oneself/sb ⇔ up as n\u002e
She dressed herself up as a ghost.
The children dressed themselves up as pirates.
She was dressed up as a lady of high society.
The children enjoy dressing up in Mother's old clothes.
孩子们喜欢穿上妈妈旧时的衣服玩。dress sb ⇔ up
Dress up the men so that the general can see them.
- adjust dress 整衣
- buy a dress 买件上衣
- care about dress 注意衣着
- change a dress 换外衣
- clean a dress 洗净衣服
- cut dress 裁衣服
- do up a dress 把上衣扣好
- get dress 买衣服
- iron a dress 熨衣服
- let out dress 放大衣服
- make a dress 做衣服
- put on dress 披上衣服
- spoil dress 损坏衣服
- take off a dress 脱下上衣
- think less about dress 不注意衣着
- tidy dress 整理衣服
- try on a dress 试穿衣服
- undo dress 解开衣服
- wash a dress 洗衣服
- wear a dress 穿外衣
- adorable dress 极可爱的衣服
- airy dress 使人凉爽的衣服
- alluring dress 迷人的衣服
- azure dress 天蓝色的衣服
- ballerina dress 芭蕾舞女演员的衣服
- beaded dress 珠串装饰的衣服
- beautiful dress 漂亮的外衣
- blue dress 蓝色的衣服
- boyish dress 男孩穿的衣服
- bridal dress 新娘穿的衣服
- bright-coloured dress 色彩鲜艳的衣服
- brocade dress 织锦的衣服
- ceremonial dress 礼服
- charming dress 漂亮的衣服
- cheap dress 价钱便宜的上衣,廉价的外衣
- classical dress 古典服装
- clean dress 干净的外衣
- conspicuous dress 过分花哨的衣服
- convenient dress 方便的衣服
- conventional dress 传统的衣服
- costly dress 昂贵的衣服
- creased dress 皱折的衣服
- daring dress 大胆的衣服
- decent dress 体面的衣服
- decorous dress 礼服
- delicate dress 雅致的衣服
- delicious dress 有趣的衣服
- detailed dress 装饰精细的服装
- different dress 不同的衣服
- dirty dress 脏衣服
- distinctive dress 有特色的衣服
- easy dress 舒适的衣服
- elaborate dress 考究的衣服
- elegant dress 优雅的衣服
- exceptional dress 特殊的衣服
- extraordinary dress 极不寻常的衣服
- extravagant dress 奢侈的衣服
- fantastical dress 奇特的衣服
- fashionable dress 流行的衣服
- favorite dress 最喜爱的衣服
- female dress 妇女服装
- festive dress 节日服装
- fitted dress 合身的衣服
- flame dress 鲜艳的衣服
- flashy dress 俗丽的衣服
- flattering dress 讨人喜欢的衣服
- fleshly dress 肉色的衣服
- flowered dress 用花装饰的衣服
- flowering dress 华丽的衣服
- formal dress 礼服
- fresh dress 颜色鲜艳的衣服
- full dress 大礼服
- gleaming dress 闪光的衣服
- gorgeous dress 华丽的衣服
- hideous dress 难看的衣服
- homely dress 简朴的衣服
- indecent dress 粗劣的衣服
- insufficient dress 单薄的衣服
- lively dress 活泼的衣服
- loose dress 宽大的衣服
- modern dress 现代的衣服
- national dress 民族衣服
- new dress 新衣服
- nice dress 精美的衣服
- official dress 官方的衣服
- ordinary dress 平常的衣服
- plain dress 朴素的衣服
- private dress 便衣
- queer dress 奇装异服
- ragged dress 破旧的衣服
- rainy dress 雨衣
- simple dress 朴素的衣服
- soft dress 柔软的衣服
- suitable dress 合体的衣服
- tasteful dress 有情趣的衣服
- wedding dress 婚礼服
- white dress 白色的衣服
- yellow dress 黄色的衣服
- battle dress 战斗服
- country dress 乡下的衣服
- court dress 宫廷的衣服
- evening dress 晚礼服
- fatigue dress 工作服
- holiday dress 节日的服装
- night dress 睡衣
- spring dress 春装
- student dress 学生服
- summer dress 夏装
- dress affair 须穿礼服的场合
- dress circle 戏院的前排包厢
- dress coat 燕尾服
- dress form 陈列女服的半身体模型
- dress goods 妇女衣料
- dress guard 护衣装置
- dress improver 托裙腰垫
- dress maker 女服裁缝
- dress parade 阅兵式
- dress pattern 服装样板
- dress preserver 护衣汗衫
- dress rehearsal 彩排
- dress shirt 女衬衫
- dress shoes 穿礼服时穿的鞋
- dress smock 披风
- dress suit 礼服衬衫
- dress a Christmas tree 装饰圣诞树
- dress a crop 给作物施肥
- dress a doll 给洋娃娃穿衣
- dress a field 为田地施肥
- dress leather 处理皮革
- dress one's hair 梳理头发
- dress ranks 整队
- dress the salad 拌沙拉
- dress the shop windows 布置商店橱窗
- dress the streets 装饰街道
- dress a wound 包扎伤口
- dress well 穿得好
- dress absurdly 穿得可笑
- dress brilliantly 衣着华丽
- dress cheaply 穿得廉价
- dress colourfully 打扮得花枝招展
- dress conservatively 穿着保守
- dress daringly 穿着大胆
- dress decently 穿得得体
- dress distinctively 穿着有特色
- dress elegantly 穿得优美
- dress expensively 穿得昂贵
- dress exquisitely 穿得精巧
- dress finely 穿得漂亮
- dress fully 穿得充分
- dress hastily 穿得仓促
- dress heavily 穿着厚实
- dress immaculately 穿得纯洁
- dress inexpensively 穿得便宜
- dress lightly 穿得轻便
- dress luxuriously 穿得非常舒适
- dress nicely 穿得美好
- dress plainly 穿得朴素
- dress poorly 衣着寒酸
- dress properly 穿得恰当
- dress quaintly 穿得离奇
- dress quietly 穿得朴素
- dress respectably 穿得体面
- dress shabbily 穿得破旧
- dress smartly 穿得时髦
- dress stylishly 穿得时髦
- dress suitably 穿得合适
- dress thickly 穿得厚厚地
- dress usually 常穿
- dress warmly 穿得暖暖地
- dress down 严加训斥,鞭打,给马梳刷
- dress out 穿上盛装,装饰船等,包扎伤口
- dress up (给…)穿上盛装,(把…)打扮得漂亮,化妆,乔装
- dress above (one's circumstances) 衣着超过(自己的境况)
- dress after the English fashion 按英国式样打扮
- dress as 穿…的服装,使穿得像
- dress as a sailor 穿着海员的服装
- dress as a woman 穿得像女人一样
- dress for 为(某场合)穿上礼服
- dress for dinner 穿礼服赴宴
- dress in (使)穿…的服装
- dress in a uniform 穿着制服
- dress in black 穿着黑色的服装
- dress in blue 穿蓝色的衣服
- dress in dark glasses 戴着墨镜
- dress in Sunday best 穿上最漂亮的衣服
- dress with flags 悬挂着旗帜
Your black silk frock will be quite dress enough.出自： Dickens
The dress I wore was..that of a sailor come ashore from some coaster.出自： J. Conrad
He'd lost his head-dress..and was wearing Western dress.出自： J. Raban
Fashion, as opposed to mere dress, is..sprinkled with foreign terms.出自： A. Lurie
The dressed stones of the rampart.出自： R. Graves
- dress的基本意思是“给裸露的身体穿上衣服”,可表示状态(=wear clothes),也可表示动作(=put on clothes)。dress含有穿戴或款式上精心挑选的味道,引申可表示“装饰”“打扮”“为…提供衣服,为…设计衣服; 包扎; 梳理头发”等。
She is dressing.She is dressing her baby.
He doesn't seem to care much about dress.
He wears a blue dress.
- dress的单复数形式一样，a dress指“一件女衫或一件童装”，dress则指“多件女衫或童装”；
- 在full dress（大礼服）和evening dress（晚礼服）两短语中，不加a或the，也不存在复数形式；
be dressed in表示“某人穿着什么衣服”，常用于一些特定场合。
I didn't recognise him because he was dressed in a dark suit.
The children dressed themselves up as angels to attend the ceremony.
- dress, clothes, clothing, coat, overcoat, suit
- He spent a lot of money on clothes when he was young.他年轻时花很多钱买衣服。
- People of different climates wear different clothing.生活在不同气候条件下的人衣着也不相同。
- This is a factory that makes children's clothing.这是一家童装厂。
- I've bought a coat for my daughter.我替女儿买了一件大衣。
- These coats are in the newest style.这些西装上衣都是最新款式的。
- She wore a long, white dress for the wedding.她穿着一件长长的白色结婚礼服。
- Men and boys wear overcoats in cold weather.天冷时，人们都穿大衣。
- My brother wore a new suit for the party.我哥哥穿一身新西服去参加晚会。
- dress well, well dressed
- dress well中的dress是不及物动词,指经常性的穿着习惯; well dressed中的dressed是过去分词用作形容词,既可指经常性的穿着习惯,也可指某日某时的衣着情况。试比较:
- He dresses well on all occasions.
- He is well dressed only on Sunday.
- dress, have on, put on, wear
- 1.在表示“穿着”时, wear和have on可以互换。
- 2.dress仅限于表示“穿衣服”; put on可表示“穿上衣服”或“戴上眼镜、帽子等”; wear和put on则可表示一般的“穿”或“戴”; 留胡子则用wear来表示。
- 3.put on只表示动作; wear和have on均表示状态; dress则既可表示动作也可表示状态。
- 4.put on是瞬间动词; wear和have on都是持续性动词; dress则既可作持续性动词,也可作瞬间动词。
- 5.have on不能用于进行时态,其他3个词则可以。
- I saw a man dressed in black.
- I saw a man dressing in black.
- 前一句中的dressed是过去分词作定语,作“穿着”(wearing)解,而后一句中dressing是不及物动词dress的现在分词形式,表示“穿(衣服)”(putting on a dress)的意思。
- wear，dress，put on
- put on普通用语，指把衣服、鞋袜、帽子、手套等戴上去，侧重穿戴的动作。
误 My father doesn't care much about dresses.
正 My father doesn't care much about dress.
误 Her husband was wearing a new dress.
正 Her husband was wearing a new coat.
误 I can dress my clothes in no time.
正 I can dress in no time.
正 I can dress myself in no time.
正 I can put on my clothes in no time.
误 The little girl dressed in red.
误 The little girl dressed with red.
正 The little girl dressed herself in red.
正 The little girl was dressed in red.
误 She dresses well this morning.
正 She is well dressed this morning.
- ☆ 14世纪初期进入英语，直接源自古法语的dresser；最初源自通俗拉丁语的directiare，意为放直，摆直。