- 破晓，东方发白， 露曙光，（天）刚亮
- [C][U]黎明; 拂晓 the time of day when light first appears; the first appearance of light in the sky before the sun rises
- [S]开端; 萌芽 the beginning or first appearance of new period, idea, feeling, etc.
- vi. & link v. 破晓; (天)初亮 begin to grow light
- vi. 开始现出 begin to appear
the first light of day;
"we got up before dawn"
"they talked until morning"
the earliest period;
"the dawn of civilization"
"the morning of the world"
an opening time period;
"it was the dawn of the Roman Empire"
become clear or enter one's consciousness or emotions;
"It dawned on him that she had betrayed him"
"she was penetrated with sorrow"
appear or develop;
"The age of computers had dawned"
"It started to dawn, and we had to get up"
- We set sail at dawn and headed for New York.
- Diana aroused them just before dawn.
- I can see the dawn of the better day for humanity.
- The sky was pink with the first glimmer of the dawn.
- We're at the end of the historical epoch, and at the dawn of another.
- We look forward to the dawn of better days.
- The marchers jumped off at the crack of dawn.
- Dawn was breaking when we came back to the camp.
- Break of dawn, there's no sun up in the sky.
- A new era is dawning.
- It began to dawn after the long night.
- The truth began to dawn upon him.
- It didn't dawn on me that I was getting the bum's rush.
- The dawns here in the mountains are very beautiful.
- Did you hear the cock crow at dawn?
- At dawn we broke through the barbed wire entanglements under the city wall.
- They got across the bridge before dawn.
- They work from dawn till dark.
- The war was ended and we looked forward to the dawn of much happier days.
- Day dawns in the east.
- The morning dawned brightly.
- The day was just dawning.
- Day will soon dawn.
- The day was dawning when we set out.
- They were waiting for the day to dawn.
- The space age dawned in the twentieth century.
- A new age dawned with the invention of the radio.
- Last Sunday dawned a perfect day.
- The morning dawned fresh and clear after the storm at night.
- After the storm at night, the morning dawned clear and fine over the bay.
- The next day dawned bright and sunny.
- dawn on〔upon〕 (v.+prep.)
逐渐(被人)知晓,明白 become gradually known by (sb)
dawn on〔upon〕 sth
A grey day dawned upon the sleeping city.
The ocean dawned on our view.
A smile dawned on his face.
A new era is dawning upon the world.
世界正进入一个新时代。dawn on〔upon〕 sb/sth
The fact has just dawned on me.
The truth may one day dawn upon you.
At last it dawned on us.
The answer dawned on me when I wasn't thinking about the work.
在我没考虑答案的时候,答案不知不觉地出来了。It ～ed on sb that/wh-clasue
It suddenly dawned on me that I'd caught the wrong train.
It dawned on me that the following day would be her birthday.
It dawned on me that I was lost.
It has slowly dawned upon us that he will not help.
It dawned on me where I had seen him before.
It suddenly dawned upon me why he was so anxious to know when the accident took place.
- dawn of this century 本世纪之初
- dawn abruptly 突然明白
- dawn calmly 悄然天亮
- dawn clearly 清楚地了解
- dawn finally 终于开始现出
- dawn gradually 渐渐地了解
- dawn slowly 慢慢地清楚
From the dawn of manhood to its decline.出自： S. Johnson
You could see the first dawn of an idea stealing slowly over his countenance.出自： C. Lamb
I saw him more clearly as the day dawned.出自： J. Barth
- dawn的意思是“黎明; 拂晓; 天刚亮”,既可作可数名词又可作不可数名词,前面通常用介词at或before。
- dawn引申可表示“开端; 萌芽”,总是用单数形式,常与定冠词the连用。
- dawn用作不及物动词,多与介词on／upon连用,基本意思是“天破晓,黎明”,引申可表示人“(在头脑中)开始出现,开始觉醒,明白过来,明确起来,清楚起来; 出现,呈现”等。
- dawn偶尔也可用作系动词,接形容词或名词作表语,表示“发亮; 破晓”。
- dawn, twilight
- 1.dawn指太阳刚要或刚刚升起的“黎明,拂晓”时分; twilight指日出前的曙光。例如:
- They stepped out into the twilight.他们走进曙光中。
- 3.用于比喻, dawn可指某个时期的“开端; 开始”; twilight则指“恐慌时代”“没落时代”。
- dawn, break
- 这两个词都可作“破晓”解。其区别在于:break的主语只能用day; 而dawn的主语用day和morning都可以。例如:
- The day breaks at five.
- The morning〔day〕 dawns at five.
误 At the dawn the guests departed.
正 At dawn the guests departed.一大早,他们便起床出发了。
误 At early dawn, they got up and set off.
正 At the early dawn, they got up and set off.
析 at dawn〔before dawn, from dawn〕 till dark等短语中不可加the,但在at the early dawn, with the dawn等短语中一定要加the。
- ☆ 直接源自中古英语的dauen；最初源自古英语的dagung，意为破晓。