- 起源，根源，渊源， 源泉，本源
- 起点,来源 starting-point; source
- [P]出身,来历 person's parentage, background, etc.
the place where something begins, where it springs into being;
"the Italian beginning of the Renaissance"
"Jupiter was the origin of the radiation"
"Pittsburgh is the source of the Ohio River"
"communism's Russian root"
properties attributable to your ancestry;
"he comes from good origins"
an event that is a beginning; a first part or stage of subsequent events
the point of intersection of coordinate axes; where the values of the coordinates are all zero
the source of something's existence or from which it derives or is derived;
"the rumor had its origin in idle gossip"
"origin in sensation"
the descendants of one individual;
"his entire lineage has been warriors"
- The social unrest has its origins in economic problems.
- This is the true story of the weeds: the origin of the species.
- He is a Dane by origin.
- The family had its origin in Canada.
- Many words in the English language are French in origin.
- What's the origin of your anxiety?
- He is considered to be of noble origin.
- determine〔explain, enquire into〕 the origin 确定〔解释,探索〕起源
- the origin of… 的起源
Begin at the beginning, with the very origin of life itself.出自： R. Dawkins
The origins of socialism can be traced back as far as the time of Christ.出自： T. Benn
- 表示某人或某物怎么样的出身或起源时，用主语+of+形容词+origin的表达结构，注意of后没有a/the。例如men of humble origin（出身卑贱的人）， words of Latin origin（起源拉丁语的文字）等；
Nothing certain is known of his origins.
His origins were humble.
- origin, source
- 这两个词均可指事物的起点。origin多指“始于遥远的时间或地点”; source多用于隐喻,说明河流的源头或收入、情报、消息等来源。
- ☆ 15世纪初期进入英语，直接源自法语的origine；最初源自拉丁语的originem，意为起来，开始。