- [P]无疑的,肯定的 without any doubt; sure
- [A]某,某些 one or some that can be named
- definite but not specified or identified;
"set aside a certain sum each week"
"to a certain degree"
"certain breeds do not make good pets"
"certain members have not paid their dues"
"a certain popular teacher"
"a certain Mrs. Jones"
- having or feeling no doubt or uncertainty; confident and assured;
"felt certain of success"
"was sure (or certain) she had seen it"
"was very sure in his beliefs"
"sure of her friends"
- established beyond doubt or question; definitely known;
"what is certain is that every effect must have a cause"
"it is certain that they were on the bus"
"his fate is certain"
"the date for the invasion is certain"
- certain to occur; destined or inevitable;
"he was certain to fail"
"his fate is certain"
"In this life nothing is certain but death and taxes"
"he faced certain death"
"sudden but sure regret"
"he is sure to win"
- established irrevocably;
"his fate is sealed"
- reliable in operation or effect;
"a quick and certain remedy"
"a sure way to distinguish the two"
"wood dust is a sure sign of termites"
- exercising or taking care great enough to bring assurance;
"be certain to disconnect the iron when you are through"
"be sure to lock the doors"
- It's certain that every effect must have a cause.
- Certain things are still open to discussion.
- A certain man will visit you tomorrow.
- For certain reasons I will be unable to attend the meeting.
- A certain Mr Brown telephoned while you were out.
- To a certain extent, I'm in favor of your project.
- There was a certain coldness in her attitude towards me.
- Certain of those present had had too much to drink.
A certain person called on me yesterday.
A certain Mr. Brown telephoned while you were out.
The terrorists will only release their hostages on certain conditions.
There are certain forms that must be followed in diplomatic circles.
I am prepared to make certain concessions.
There was a certain hesitation in her manner.
If you want to be slim, you should try to lose a certain amount of weight every week.
She has certain definite beauties, such as her eyes.
There is no certain cure for this disease.
They face certain death unless they can be rescued today.
They went to a certain place.
The club meets on certain days every month.
His ear for music was certain.
That we should stay together was certain.
It is more or less certain.
After the Boston Tea Party, war with England seemed certain.
We are certain to win the game.
He is certain to come.
The people of the afflicted areas are certain to need our help.
Spring is certain to follow winter.
The duties before you are certain to be heavy.
We are certain to be victorious.
The thief is certain to be caught in time.
You are pretty certain to be seen by someone who knows you.
I'm certain that he had seen me.
We are certain that he will get over his illness.
He is certain that this TV set will operate on batteries.
Be certain you catch your train on time.
I'm certain I put the book on the table.
I'm certain she saw me yesterday.
I was certain I'd found you here if you were still in existence.
I am not certain who he is.
I'm not certain when we start off.
I'm not certain where this ought to be put.
It is certain to rain.
It is now certain that he won the election.
It seems certain that our team will win the prize.
It is certain he will come to the discussion.
It is not yet certain who will succeed him.
It is not certain when it will take place.
- certain of
确信 completely sure
He felt quite certain of success. 他感到相当有把握成功。
He is perfectly certain of it. 他完全相信那件事。
He was too certain of her love to be deceived by such talk. 他确信她的爱情,因而不会被这种闲话所欺骗。
I was too certain of her coming to send for her. 我相信她定然会来,故没打发人去请她。
一群中的某些 some particular members of a group of people
Certain of those present had drunk too much. 有些出席的人喝得太多了。
- 确信 completely sure
- for certain
无疑地,确定地 without doubt
I couldn't say for certain when he'll arrive. 我说不准他什么时候到。
Uncle Judy said he would give us his decision for certain next week. 朱狄叔叔说了,他下个星期一定给我们作出决定。
- 无疑地,确定地 without doubt
- make certain
弄清楚 inquire in order to be sure about sth
I think there's a train at 8:20 but you ought to make certain. 我想8点20分有一班火车,不过你应该打听清楚。
Make certain what time the train goes. 务必弄清火车发车时间。
- 弄清楚 inquire in order to be sure about sth
- make certain of
采取行动以便确有把握做其他事 do sth in order to be sure of (doing) sth else
You'd better leave now if you want to make certain of getting there on time. 你想准时到达那里就最好马上走。
To make certain of getting good seats, we hurried off to the cinema. 为了弄到好位子，我们匆忙动身去电影院。
- 采取行动以便确有把握做其他事 do sth in order to be sure of (doing) sth else
- absolutely certain 绝对肯定
- almost certain 几乎可以肯定的
- nearly certain 几乎可以肯定的
- pretty certain 肯定的
- quite certain 相当有把握的
- totally certain 完全确信
Payment of money on a day certain.出自：H. J. Stephen
The fixed and certain oak.出自：J. Arlott
- certain表示“某个，某些”时，作形容词或代词，如a certain friend of his或certain of his；
- certain作形容词表示“一些”时，常修饰抽象名词，如a certain hesitation，a certain coldness；
区别certain和sure：两者后面都可跟of，不定式或that从句。certain比sure语气来的更重。It is certain that...比It is sure that...更为普遍。
I am certain/sure of his honesty.
I am certain/sure to see him tomorrow.
certian of和certain to do表示不同的意思。
He is certain to come tomorrow.
He is certain of coming tomorrow.
I am not certain (about) where he lives.
- for certain表示“肯定的，无疑的”，属于固定词组。
- be certain用于祈使句,意思是“一定要设法办到…”。
- It is/was certain that...表示说话人的看法，其中certain 不可用certainly或sure代替。在否定句中,多接以疑问词whether,what,how等引导的从句。
- 短语动词make certain的意思是“弄确实,弄清楚”,其后可接of引起的动名词短语或that从句。
- (a) certain, some
这两者都有“某一,某些”的意思。1.some侧重于表示对某人或某物一无所知; 而a certain则多用于对某人或某物知而不详或知而不言。2.some可与or, or other, or another等笼统的词连用; a certain则可与姓氏连用。3.some经常含有不在乎、不感兴趣、轻蔑,甚至不赞成、不喜欢的意思; (a) certain则一般不带或少带感情色彩。4.a certain还可和抽象名词连用,暗示说话者该用什么词来表达心里的想法拿不太准,在许多情况下,那个选出来的词有点不达意、不寻常,用a certain有助于削弱该词的奇特程度。
- be certain to-v, be certain of v-ing
be certain to- v 意思是“肯定会做某事”,指将要发生某事; be certain of v -ing意思是“觉得肯定要做某事”,指某人的自我看法。
- He is certain to succeed.
- He is certain of succeeding.
- certain, positive, sure
这三个词都表示“肯定的”“确信的”,但所表示的程度有所不同。1.certain强调有充分的根据,或自己直接所知道的事情的真相。2.sure强调主观上怀有强烈的愿望或心里没有疑虑。例如:I'm sure we'll start on time.我想我们能及时出发。3.positive比sure和certain更加肯定,强调对自己所说的话或所下的结论的正确性深信不疑,常常表现出过分的自信或主观武断。例如:I am positive that I saw this man before.我肯定我以前见过此人。As I can't be certain,I won't be positive.在我不肯定时,我不想武断。4.名词性从句作主语时,一般不用sure,而用certain。
- I am certain,I am sure
I am certain比I am sure语气强,前者指“不容置疑的”“确实已成为事实的”,后者指很强的“愿望”“深信”，但是I am not certain与I am not sure意思相同。例如:
- I am certain that he has left—I saw him go out.
- I am sure that they'll win the game this time.
- I am not certain if she is happy.
- I am not sure if she is happy.
错句：i can say with certain when she will leave for hongkong.
纠正：i can say for certain when she will leave for hongkong.
- ☆ 1300年左右进入英语，直接源自古法语的ceratin；最初源自拉丁语的certus，意为确定的。
- certain:certain adj. 确定的, 某一个, 无疑的, 必然的, 可靠的pron. 某几个, 某些习惯用语be certain of 确信, 深信be certain to 必然; 一定be not…