interrupt before its natural or planned end;
"We had to cut short our vacation"
"stop the project"
"break off the negotiations"
break off (a piece from a whole);
"Her tooth chipped"
break a piece from a whole;
"break a branch from a tree"
break a small piece off from;
"chip the glass"
"chip a tooth"
- He broke off in the middle of a sentence.
- The door handle has broken off.
- She broke off a piece of chocolate and gave it to me.
- He broke off relations with his family.
- Let's break off work for a few minutes.
- Let's break off for half an hour and have some tea.