- [U][S]滥用; 妄用 wrong use; the use of sth in a way that is wrong or harmful
- [U][P]虐待 unfair, cruel or violent treatment of sb
- [U]辱骂; 恶语 unkind, cruel, or rude words; rude and offensive remarks, usually made when sb is very angry
- [C]陋习; 弊端 an unjust or harmful custom
- vt. 滥用; 妄用 make bad use of sth, or use so much of sth that it harms your health; use power or knowledge unfairly or wrongly
- vt. 虐待 physically hurt; treat a person or an animal in a cruel or violent way, especially sexually
- vt. 辱骂 make rude or offensive remarks to or about sb
cruel or inhumane treatment;
"the child showed signs of physical abuse"
a rude expression intended to offend or hurt;
"when a student made a stupid mistake he spared them no abuse"
"they yelled insults at the visiting team"
improper or excessive use;
"the abuse of public funds"
"This boss abuses his workers"
"She is always stepping on others to get ahead"
change the inherent purpose or function of something;
"Don't abuse the system"
"The director of the factory misused the funds intended for the health care of his workers"
use foul or abusive language towards;
"The actress abused the policeman who gave her a parking ticket"
"The angry mother shouted at the teacher"
use wrongly or improperly or excessively;
"Her husband often abuses alcohol"
"while she was pregnant, she abused drugs"
- The government has set up a working party to look into the problem of drug abuse.
- His political reputation was tainted by his abuse of the power.
- He greeted me with a stream of abuse.
- It's easy to abuse one's power.
- I don't consider it good for a person to be afraid of being abused.
- He abused his wife and children.
- Abuses multiply when citizens are indifferent.
- Child abuse is a punishable offense.
- Our car has taken much abuse.
- She suffered years of physical abuse.
- He shouted abuse when the manager told him to leave.
- An inescapable logic led me to connect these particular abuses to a whole deplorable system.
- The president's attempt to correct governmental abuses is successful.
- The boy was beaten and starved; he lived through much abuse.
- The police are doing all they can to stamp out such abuses.
- Woman and child abuse is forbidden in every country.
- Such abuse can only be checked by the force of public opinion.
- The regime had been responsible for serious human rights abuses.
- The child has been subjected to a lot of abuse .
- Several female students have made allegations of abuse against him.
- Her parents were found guilty of gross neglect and abuse.
- A shower of filthy abuse came from his lips.
- He burst into a storm of abuse.
- He greeted me with a hail of abuse.
- He said that he had experienced a lot of verbal abuse from his co-workers.
- She shouted a stream of abuse at him.
- He constantly addressed her in terms of abuse .
- The commission of enquiry found a number of abuses in the granting of import licences.
- We must put a stop to these abuses.
- The government decided to take measures to put a stop to political abuses.
- Corruption is a major abuse in modern politics.
- They would attack every possible leader with scandal and abuse.
- The word can be so used without abuse.
- Physical abuse and neglect of children are too common.
- The pupils have reported abuses by their teacher.
- The girls shrieked abuse at the prosecuting lawyers.
- They showered abuse on that candidate.
- The other driver leaned out of the car window and hurled abuse at me.
- John was alleged to have hurled racist abuse at a student.
- This car has taken a lot of abuse.
- They talked about the uses and abuses of figures to prove things in politics.
- The arbitrary punishments were an abuse of power.
- This is clearly an abuse of executive power.
- They have for many years been involved in a campaign against the abuse of human rights in their country.
- Here are some recent abuses of the word.
- To call that state a democracy is an abuse of terms.
- What she did was an abuse of her position as manager.
- This book is about the uses and abuses of power.
- The people hated the politician for his abuse of power.
- Don't abuse the confidence they have placed in you.
- He has abused my confidence in him.
- He could not abuse their trust.
- I never expected that he would abuse the trust I placed in him.
- I promised not to abuse their kindness.
- I will not abuse your hospitality.
- Don't abuse your authority.
- Government officials shouldn't abuse their power.
- He abused his authority.
- He abused his privileges in activities outside his official capacity.
- He never abuses his privilege.
- It is important not to abuse your position as the boss's wife.
- She is continually abusing her position by getting other people to do things for her.
- They abused their power and rode rough-shod over the people.
- I'll lend you my camera but don't abuse it.
- A good workman doesn't abuse his tools.
- Don't abuse your eyes by reading in a bad light.
- Kevin abused his eyesight by watching too much TV.
- Don't abuse your health by working like that.
- He abuses alcohol by drinking too much.
- Too many people abuse alcohol.
- He abused his cat.
- Stop abusing the dog!
- A good rider never abuses his horse.
- The man abused his wife by hitting her often.
- The serf-owners had the right to beat, abuse or even kill the serfs at will.
- “Mr. Bennet, how can you abuse your own children in such a way!”
- He was always abusing people.
- They abused each other.
- Don't abuse your friend.
- He abused me a little for being so slow.
- Instead of debating the issues the candidates abused each other.
- He abused me and of course I answered rather hotly.
- Most of the foremen abused the workmen in the foulest languages.
- It is one of those cities where the people are really unfriendly and abuse you all the time.
- She abused him roundly for his neglect.
- I asked him to desist from abusing me in private to newspaper editors.
- The privilege was abused.
- The author felt abused by his agent on the grounds of neglect and indifference.
- “Think still again,” he said,“and do not act rashly. The best of God's gifts may be abused, and yet they are all good.”
- She has been much abused.
- The arrested men have been physically abused .
- Several of the children had been sexually abused.
- Social workers discovered that the child had been abused by her father.
- The patients were often physically abused or drugged.
- The young worker was very much abused by his boss, but he held in his temper.
- He was abused in the press.
- open to abuse
可能被滥用的 capable of being abused
- direct abuse against 辱骂
- heap abuse on sb 肆意谩骂某人
- hurl abuse at 谩骂
- keep abuse on 对…破口大骂
- shout abuse 破口大骂
- shower abuse on sb 痛骂某人
- take abuse 挨骂
- check abuses 防止弊病
- correct an abuse 匡正时弊; 纠正陋习
- curb abuses 防止弊病
- eliminate abuses 根除弊端
- expose contemporary social abuses 揭露社会时弊
- prevent abuses 防治弊病
- reform abuses 革除弊端
- remedy an abuse 匡正时弊; 纠正陋习
- root up abuses 根除弊端
- wipe out abuses 根除弊端
- put an end to abuses 废止恶习
- crying abuse 亟待根除的弊端
- foul-mouthed abuse 下流的谩骂
- horrifying abuse 可怕的虐待
- personal abuse 人身攻击
- physical abuse 肉体摧残
- sexual abuse 性虐待
- shocking abuse 骇人听闻的虐待
- verbal abuse 口头辱骂
- abuse of authority 滥用权力
- abuse of health 糟蹋健康
- abuse of privileges 滥用特权
- abuse of the word 被滥用的词
- abuse of trust 滥用信任
- abuses of the age 时弊
Dickens was careful to castigate abuses which were being reformed.出自： W. R. Inge
I'm in a position of trust and privilege..and I take care not to abuse it.出自： M. Frayn
- abuse的基本意思是用言语或行动不正确地、不公平地、有伤害地对待某人或使用某物。作“滥用; 妄用”解时多带有“故意地”或“任意地”含义；作“虐待”解时尤指对儿童或无力防止者；作“辱骂; 恶语”解时可指“辱骂”行为,也可指所使用的“恶语”,尤指使用侮辱性或粗鲁的语言表示个人的不满,常暗指说话者的愤怒。
- abuse作“滥用; 妄用”解时通常用作不可数名词,有时也用作单数名词,即其前有不定冠词a,其后有of引导的介词短语；作“虐待”解时通常用作不可数名词,有时也用作复数名词。
- abuse用作动词时的意思与用作名词时大致相同。作“滥用; 妄用”解时可指滥用、妄用权力,也可指滥用药物、酗酒等以致危害健康; 作“虐待; 伤害”解时主要指肉体上的虐待、残害,尤指性虐待,也可指恶语相加、诋毁。
- ☆ 15世纪初期进入英语，直接源自中世纪法语的abuser，意为用光，误用；最初源自拉丁语的abusus，意为误用。
- improper use
- unfair use
- harsh language
- insulting language
- slander v.
- impose upon
- use improperly
- speak harshly to
- speak ill of
- abuser n. 辱骂的人‖abusive adj. 辱骂的; 恶语的; 诽谤的; 虐待的