arrange or order by classes or categories;
"How would you classify these pottery shards--are they prehistoric?"
make free from confusion or ambiguity; make clear;
"Could you clarify these remarks?"
"Clear up the question of who is at fault"
punish in order to gain control or enforce obedience;
"The teacher disciplined the pupils rather frequently"
- She spent a whole afternoon sorting out her stamps.
- They sorted out the data and carded them.
- Sort out things you want to keep and throw everything else away .
- Let us leave that couple to sort themselves out .
- If you don't stop that noise, I'll come in and sort you out.
- They sort out items that can be recycled.