- vt. 指责,非难 give a short especially official scolding to
an act or expression of criticism and censure;
"he had to take the rebuke with a smile on his face"
censure severely or angrily;
"The mother scolded the child for entering a stranger's car"
"The deputy ragged the Prime Minister"
"The customer dressed down the waiter for bringing cold soup"
- She was roundly rebuked for what she had done.
- She rebuked him strongly for his negligence.
- He received a stern rebuke from his superior.
- The teacher delivered a sharp rebuke to the class.
- As a great movement of history took shape, her dignity was a daily rebuke to the pettiness and cruelty of segregation.
- It is sometimes thought that Europeans can do little to rein in a petrodollar-fuelled Russia, beyond issuing the occasional mild rebuke.
- His industry rebukes me.
- rebuke for (v.+prep.)
为…而严厉地斥责(某人) scold sb severely because of sth or doing sth wrong
rebuke sb for sth/v-ing
She rebuked her lawyer for his authoritarian attitude to her clients.
The teacher rebuked the boy for throwing paper on the floor.
He was rebuked by his teacher for cheating.
He was rebuked for his neglect of duty.
The police were rebuked by the judge for the way they had acted.
That boy will have to be rebuked for his bad behaviour.
- rebuke cuttingly 尖刻地指责
- rebuke gravely 勇敢地指责
- rebuke imperiously 专横地指责
- rebuke indignantly 愤慨地指责
- rebuke sharply 严厉地指责
- rebuke sternly 严厉地指责
- rebuke for 因…而斥责某人
The uproar..brought a..rebuke from Mr Secretary Cecil.出自： W. S. Churchill
The Archbishop..offering neither exhortation nor rebuke.出自： A. Kenny
Instead of comforting her, he coldly rebuked her.出自： D. M. Thomas
His discretion seemed to rebuke our..curiosity.出自： fig.
- rebuke, accuse, blame, condemn, scold
- She is always scolding.她总是骂个不停。
- 2.blame指因出差错而受责备; condemn指某人有不好的行为而受责备; rebuke指因某人有不好的态度而责备; 而accuse多指因粗心、失信或不负责任而受指责,有时也作“控告”“谴责”解。例如:
- It's all my fault.I'm to blame.这都是我的错,都怪我。
- I did not condemn him for what he had done.我并没有因他的所作所为而指责他。
- She rebuked her lawyer for his authoritarian attitude to his clients.她指责她的律师对待委托人的命令式态度。
- They accused me of carelessness.他们指责我粗心大意。
- 3.accuse常用于accuse sb of sth结构；而blame常用于blame sb for sth结构。
- reprimand 训斥
- scold 责骂
- reprove 责备
- chide 斥责
- lecture 讲课
- take to task 责备
- reproach 责备
- reproof 斥责
- censure 责难
- admonish 警告
- criticize 批评
- scolding 责骂
- admonition 警告
- telling-off 责骂
- criticism 批评
- berate 〈正式或文〉严厉责备...
- disapprove 不赞成
- correct 正确的
- complaint 抱怨
- upbraid 斥责
- diatribe 长篇抨击
- disapproval 不赞成
- accusation 控告
- chew out 严厉责备
- remonstrate 表示异议
- rag 破布
- trounce 痛打
- dress down 狠狠地训斥
- jaw 颚
- reproval 责备
- lambaste 痛打
- chew up 损害
- Lambast 狂打
- reprehension 非难
- call down 祈求
- bawl out 大声斥责
- blame 责备
- denounce 谴责
- accuse 谴责
- condemn 谴责
- praise 赞美