- [U][C]金额 a sum of money;a quantity of money
- [U][C]数量；数额 a quantity of sth
- vi. 合计,共计 add up to or total sth
- vi. 等同,接近 be equal to or equivalent of sth
a quantity of money;
"he borrowed a large sum"
"the amount he had in cash was insufficient"
the relative magnitude of something with reference to a criterion;
"an adequate amount of food for four people"
how much there is or how many there are of something that you can quantify
a quantity obtained by the addition of a group of numbers
be tantamount or equivalent to;
"Her action amounted to a rebellion"
add up in number or quantity;
"The bills amounted to $2,000"
"The bill came to $2,000"
"This idea will never amount to anything"
"nothing came of his grandiose plans"
- A petrol gauge shows the amount of petrol left in a car.
- He has a large amount of mail to answer every day.
- Remember to tell the guest the amount of the bill.
- We charge one percent commission on the total amount.
- The total cost of repairs amounted to 100 dollars.
- The number of the injured amounted to over one hundred.
- Her answer amounted to a complete refusal.
- This amounts to doing the whole thing over again.
- What is the full amount I owe you?
- He could not pay the full amount he owed.
- Just remember the amount and pay me back later.
- Vitamins should be taken in small amounts .
- Your information is large in amount but poor in quality.
- Food was provided in varying amounts.
- The information is of much amount.
- I didn't expect the bill to come to this amount .
- The amount of your bill is $252.
- The amount of this year's revenue is less than that of last year.
- The amount of lift increases with the speed of the aircraft.
- The amount of resistance he met astonished him.
- The amount of his remarks is that we are hopelessly beaten.
- This is the amount of what she said.
- We estimate, month by month, the amounts of cash that will be needed.
- You wouldn't believe the amount of trouble I've had with this car.
- I was horrified by the amount of work I had to do.
- Now the amount of land irrigated is four times that of 10 years ago.
- A great amount of money has received.
- A great amount of our investments are in property.
- I drank a large amount of tea.
- She was carrying a large amount of cash.
- A million dollars is a large amount of money to me.100
- A large amount of money is spent on tobacco every year.
- She spends a large amount of money on clothes every year.
- He must often memorize large amounts of material.
- Large amounts of money were spent on the bridge.
- We've received a great amount of information.
- You should get the greatest possible amount of information.
- Her case has attracted enormous amount of public sympathy.
- Each year the world spends an enormous amount of money on armaments.
- He paid regular amounts of money to a charity.
- Vast amounts of money are being invested in the local market.
- A fair amount of rain has fallen.
- All tests contain a fair amount of unreliability.
- They didn't deliver the right amount of sand.
- This requires an incalculable amount of patience.
- Laser beams carry surprisingly intense amounts of energy.
- The new tax caused a huge amount of public anger.
- I had a certain amount of difficulty finding the house.
- She has put in a considerable amount of time and effort to ensure the success of the project.
- We have common reserve fund to the amount of ￡5000.
- In the fire,property was destroyed to the amount of $10,000.
- He supported the tobacco company last year to the amount of ￡40,000.
- There is a large amount of work for us to do.
- There were large amounts of tourists on the ferry.
- There's only a small amount of food.
- There was a small amount of sugar in the bowl.
- We have already heard about it so your information is of little amount to us.
- any amount of
大量a large quantity of sth
- no amount of
即使再多(或再大)(也不) used for saying that sth will have no effect
- amount to (v.+prep.)
等于；相当于；意味着 be equal to or the same as sth; signify
amount to sth
The bill amounts to $500.
Our debts amount to over $1000.
The loss from the flood amounts to ten million dollars.
The total expenses amount to a thousand yuan .
The four sums together amount to a lot of money.
The number of books published this year amounts to over a million.
His works published since 1956 amount to nearly four mill on words.
His earnings are said to amount to ￡300,000 per annum.
I cannot afford the trip to New York,because the travelling expenses would amount to at least $3000 if I went.
Their total grain output amounted to 5 million kilograms last year.
His income for that year amounted to￡15,000.
The annual cost of income support to unmarried mothers amounted to ￡700 million in that year.
The oil company's net profits amounted to more than 1000 million dollars.
The output of these small factories amounted to 70 percent of the province's total.
这些小厂的产量占全省总产量的70%。amount to sth/v-ing
Her reply amounts to a refusal.
Two dates in nine years hardly amounts to an active social life.
Such aids amount to economic aggression.
Their actions amount to a breach of contract.
What it amounts to is simply that he is not willing to give us his support.
Whether you go or she goes amounts to the same thing.
With his intelligence, he should amount to something when he grows up.
If he goes on like this,he'll never amount to anything.
His words amounted to a threat.
It amounted to no more than this.
The court decided that the company's actions amounted to unfair dismissal.
He gave what amounted to an apology on behalf of his company.
I don't quite make out what it's going to amount to.
Borrowing money and not returning it amounts to stealing.
Keeping silent in this case amounts to supporting the speaker.
Keeping what belongs to another amounts to stealing.
Not punishing these hooligans amounts to condoning their behaviour.
It amounts to saying that they have failed in their experiment.
To declare her innocent would amount to admitting his own fault.
- not amount to much〔a great deal〕
不太重要，没什么了不起not be very impressive, important, etc.
- approach the amount of 接近…数目
- calculate the amount 计算数量
- credit an amount to sb's account 把一笔款记入某人的账户
- find the total amount 算出总额
- fix the amount 确定数量
- know a fair amount about 对…了解很多
- pay the amount due 付到期的款项
- reach a certain amount 达到一定数量
- subscribe the same amount 认捐同样的数额
- trim the amount 削减金额
- figure out the exact amount 算出确切的数额
- aggregate amount 总额
- ample amount 富足的数量
- annual amounts 年度金额
- any amount 任何数量
- approved amount 核准的数额
- approximate amount 概算额
- average amount 平均数量
- certain amount 一定的数量
- considerable amount 相当数量
- enormous amount 巨大的数量
- exact amount 确切的数量
- fixed amount 固定金额
- full amount 总数，总共的量
- generous amount 大量
- huge amount 巨额
- immense amount 大量
- large amount 大量
- like amount 相同的量
- maximum amount 最大数量，最高额
- minimum amount 最低数量，最低额
- moderate amount 适量
- net amount 净数，净计
- outstanding amount 未付款额
- paltry amount 微不足道的数量
- same amount 同样的数额
- small amount 少量
- sufficient amount 足够的数量
- surprising amount 惊人的数量
- tremendous amount 极大的数量
- above a certain amount 超过一定数额
- beyond this amount 超过这个数目
- in amount 总之，总计
- in large amounts 大量的
- more than ￡1000 in amount 总额超过一千英镑
- salary of this amount 这个数目的薪金
- to the amount of 总计达
- a considerable amount of memory work 大量的记忆工作
- a great amount of information 大量资料
- a large amount of baggage 一大堆行李
- a large amount of jobs 大量的活儿
- a large amount of work 大量的工作
- a moderate amount of traffic 不算拥挤的交通
- a proper amount of exercise and sleep 适量的运动和睡眠
- a small amount of thinner 少量的稀释剂
- a vast amount of 大量的
- a vast amount of Chinese products 大量的中国产品
- an amount of 相当的，适量的
- an amount of information 一些信息
- an amount of money 一笔钱
- an amount of time 一段时间
- an astronomical amount of money 一笔天文数字的巨款
- an immense amount of scattered data 大量分散的资料
- the amount of debts 负债总额
- the high amount of taxes 高额税收
- the large amount of police cars 大批警车
- amount in figures 小写金额
- amount in words 大写金额
What the real amount of that statement may be.出自： J. Lingard
Which doth amount to three odd ducats more Than I stand debted to this gentleman.出自：Comedy of Errors , Shakespeare
- amount 用于表示“量”“额”，如重量、金额等。
- amount of后一般接不可数名词，有时也可接复数可数名词，此名词被视为某一“总量”或“综述”。
- 短语 in the amount of (总共为)可以 of 或 for 代之；to the amount (总共达)可以 to 代之。但如接款项数字大的总数，一般用 in〔to〕 the amount of。
The expenses amount to ￥50.
That amounts to saying that he is a genius.
- 做名词时，只能用在不可数名词，如能说a large amount of literature，不能说a large amount of books。
- amount, aggregate, number, quantity, sum, total, whole
- aggregate指把数目的各个部分加在一起；amount指累积的结果；number指数字或东西相加所得的总数；sum指最后的总结果，表示截至现在的总数, 还有增加的可能；total和whole都指合计的结果的全体，total常指大的数量，whole也含有各部分总和的意味。quantity主要表示物质的量。
- ［' ɡrIɡət］
- an amount of, a number of
- 这两个词都表示“数量”。其区别在于:前者表示“数”,与复数名词或代词连用; 而后者表示“量”,与不可数名词连用。例如:
- A small number of people believe in ghosts.只有少数人相信有鬼。
- A large amount of money was spent on books.一大笔钱花在了购买图书上。
- amount to, add up to, come to, count up to, run into
- 1.从构成上说, add up to和count up to是动副介型短语; 而amount to, come to和run into是动介型短语。
- 2.从主语上说, add up to和come to相同,均多为钱、账单、数目等; amount to和run into的主语多为loss, cost, expense, debt, sum等名词; 而count up to的主语则仅限It。例如:
- Our hotel bill added up to〔amounted to,came to〕 300 dollars.我们的旅馆费共计300美元。
- His debts amounted to〔ran into〕 over 3000 dollars.他的债务已高达3000多美元。
- It counts up to 300 dollars.共计300美元。
- 3.从宾语上说, add up to, amount to, come to后一般接数字; 而count up to和run into后除可接数字外,还可接名词。例如:
- It counts up to a considerable sum.合计起来数目相当可观。
- Losses run into six figures.损失高达6位数。
- 4.从使用场合上说, come to最通俗, count up to不常用。
- ☆ 13世纪中期进入英语，直接源自古法语的amonter，意为往上，向山上去。