- vt. & vi. 未击中,未抓住,未达到; 未看见,未领会 … fail to hit, catch, see, understand, etc.
- vt. 未出席,未赶上; 未能利用,失掉 fail to be present at sth; arrive too late for sth; fail to take advantage of sth
- vt. 发现遗失 discover what is lost
- vt. 避免 avoid or escape from (sth unpleasant)
- vt. 想念,惦记 feel sorry or unhappy at the absence or loss of
- [C]错失,不中,未得 a failure to hit, catch, hold, etc., that which is aimed at
- [S]小姐 (a title placed before the name of) an unmarried woman or girl
- [S]女老师 a woman teacher
- [S]小妞,小姑娘 a girl whose size is between that of a child and a woman
a young woman;
"a young lady of 18"
a failure to hit (or meet or find etc)
a form of address for an unmarried woman
fail to perceive or to catch with the senses or the mind;
"I missed that remark"
"She missed his point"
"We lost part of what he said"
feel or suffer from the lack of;
"He misses his mother"
fail to attend an event or activity;
"I missed the concert"
"He missed school for a week"
leave undone or leave out;
"How could I miss that typo?"
"The workers on the conveyor belt miss one out of ten"
fail to reach or get to;
"She missed her train"
"This soup lacks salt"
"There is something missing in my jewelry box!"
fail to reach;
"The arrow missed the target"
"The child had been missing for a week"
fail to experience;
"Fortunately, I missed the hurricane"
- Miss Williams can read and write French very well.
- I do miss the children. The house seems as silent as the tomb without them.
- It's the chance of a lifetime. You shouldn't miss it.
- He listened attentively so as not to miss a single word .
- I aimed at the black spot and missed.
- He took a cut at the ball but missed.
- The engine kept missing.
- I'm afraid that he may miss.
- They missed their test.
- The bullet missed me by a hair's breath.
- The arrow missed the target.
- He missed the 9：30 train.
- He tried to catch the ball, but missed it.
- The goalkeeper just missed the ball.
- He missed the bank and fell into the water.
- He seldom misses his aim.
- He hammered away, but half the time he missed the nail.
- As two of my answers missed the mark,I can't get a good grade this time.
- He missed the point of my joke.
- She missed him in the crowd.
- I missed the first part of the speech.
- He missed his only chance.
- He arrived late and missed his appointment with the doctor.
- Please be quiet.I don't want to miss a word of the news on the radio.
- I nearly missed my flight.
- He's missed school three days this week.
- I was sorry to miss you when I called.
- I didn't miss my umbrella until I got off the bus.
- The two boys miss their father a great deal.
- I miss you terribly!
- We have missed you badly since you were gone.
- I miss everything in my hometown.
- He missed the sunshine when he returned to England after five years in a hot country.
- I have not missed cigarettes a bit.
- I don't want to miss seeing that film on television tonight.
- He never missed attending the lectures.
- The two cars narrowly missed hitting each other.
- He just missed going to jail.
- We only just missed having a nasty accident.
- I just missed burning my hands.
- He narrowly missed being run over by a car.
- He almost missed being allowed to fly in space.
- I miss living in the country.
- One boat is missing.
- My notebook is missing.I've just discovered it.
- They started off at once in search of the missing girl.
- Newspaper reporters have been asking about the missing child all day.
- The aggressor troops marched into the neighbouring country on the pretext of searching for their missing soldier.
- He flew into a temper when he found the stamps missing from the letters.
- A miss is as good as a mile.
- It's hit or miss.
- He could hit his target one hundred times without a single miss.
- She thought she was going to have a baby, but only had a miss.
- That was a lucky miss.
- The shop-assistant was sick,Miss Baker filled in for him.
- Miss Mary has been a governess in that family for years.
- Mr. Brown and Miss Wilson were married this morning by a priest.
- My brother married Miss Jenny.
- Today, in the second round of women's doubles, they'll meet Mrs.White and Miss Sandy of England.
- The Misses Green are sisters.
- Good morning,Miss!
- Two cups of coffee, miss.
- Jenny is a pretty miss.
- She is a saucy little miss!
- She was a French miss engaged to tutor his children.
- miss by (v.+prep.)
差…就成功做… lose a chance beyond time, distance, etc.
miss sb/sth/v-ing by sth
The bullet missed me by two inches.
They missed the train by three minutes.
We only missed seeing each other by five minutes.
- miss out (v.+adv.)
不理睬(某人) pay no attention to (sb)
miss sb/sth ⇔ out
Don't miss out your brother when you send round the invitations.
Take care to spell every word right.You missed out the “d” from “bridge”.
You may miss out the third paragraph of the article while reading it.
The typist has missed out a line because of her carelessness.
I've missed your name out by mistake.
I read the letter to her, and deliberately missed out certain lines.
His account of the accident misses out one or two important facts.
I'll miss out the sweet course.
If I don't go to the party,I shall feel I'm missing out.
如果我不去参加聚会,我将会感到错失良机。miss out on sth
He missed out on a chance to go to college because of his ill health.
Living in the country,I often feel that I am missing out on the activities of city life.
我住在乡下,常常感到没有机会参加城市生活的活动。miss sth ⇔ out
Jacelin missed out all the fun because of his broken leg.
杰斯林因为腿骨折而错过了享受这一切乐趣的机会。miss sb ⇔ out
It was Cage's own fault if she felt missed out at the party; she made no effort to be friendly to people.
- give a miss
避开; 不去干某事 avoid; not to do sth
give sb/sth a miss
Why did you give him a miss?
I think I'll give the fish course a miss.
I usually go swimming on Mondays, but I've decided to give it a miss this week.
I'm tired—I think I'll give the film a miss.
I'll give the sweet course a miss.
- near miss
幸免 situation where one just avoids or escape from, some mishap
- miss a ball 没接到球
- miss a catch 没接着球,接漏
- miss a small detail 错过一个细节
- miss a word 漏掉一个单词
- miss an accident 免于事故
- miss an appointment 失约
- miss attendance 未出席
- miss fire 枪炮打不响,俏皮话不好笑,得不到预想的效果
- miss one's aim 没达到目的
- miss one's classes 缺课
- miss one's dinner 吐饭
- miss one's footing 失足,踏空
- miss one's hold 松手
- miss one's mark 没打中目标,没达到原定的目的,失败
- miss one's tip 出岔子,没达到目的
- miss one's way 迷路
- miss plant 不发芽
- miss school 没有到校上课
- miss stays 船抢风失败
- miss the ball 未击中球
- miss the boat 错过机会
- miss the bus 失掉机会,遭受失败
- miss the chance 错过机会
- miss the deadline 错过截止日期
- miss the farming season 误农时
- miss the goal 未射中球门
- miss the mark 没打中目标
- miss the notice 没看到通知
- miss the point 不懂这点
- miss the start of the movie 错过了电影的开头
- miss the target 未打中目标
- miss the train 未赶上火车
- miss accidentally 偶尔错过
- miss badly 非常惦念
- miss barely 差一点击中
- miss completely 完全错过
- miss coincidentally 一致惋惜
- miss dreadfully 恐怕错过
- miss narrowly 差一点错过
- miss possibly 可能错过
- miss seriously 严重地错过
- miss sorely 极其想念
- miss terribly 非常惦念
- miss tragically 悲伤地错过
- miss unavoidably 不可避免地错过
- miss out 省略,遗漏,错过机会,不理睬(某人)
- miss by 差多少就成功做…
- lucky miss 侥幸的逃脱,幸免于难
- near miss 接近击中
- bread-and-butter miss 天真无邪的小姑娘
- elderly miss 上了年纪的小姐
- lovely young miss 可爱的小姑娘
- perky miss 傲慢的姑娘
- pert miss 冒失的姑娘
- saucy miss 莽撞的姑娘
- school misses 女中学生
- slim miss 苗条女郎
We missed visiting the town.
不可说We missed to visit the town.
I narrowly missed being hurt by a car yesterday.
When you copy the poem, please miss （out） the second stanzas.
The girl is missing.
- Miss指“小姐”时，用在姓前面，指一家姐妹中年纪最大的。例如称Ellen Butler为Miss Butler而不是Miss Ellen Butler或Miss Ellen Butler。对已嫁的女子不能说Miss，寡妇也不能说Miss而是Mrs。可以用Miss ...或the Misses ...指代一家的姐妹们，如the Miss Butlers或the Misses Butler，后者比较旧式而正式。说到一家的姐妹们各人的名宇，或不同姓的每个小姐时，可说the Misses ...，如the Misses Ellen and Helen Butler或the Misses Butler and Bullen。也可以用Miss Ellen Butler and Miss Helen Butler或Miss Butler and Miss Bullen。
- miss, lose, mislay
- He fired two shots, both missed.他打了两枪,都没有打中。
- I didn't miss the key until I got home and found it wasn't in my bag.直到我回到家,想从包里拿钥匙时,才发现它不见了。
- I missed seeing the film when it was shown at school.那电影在学校放映时我没有去看。
- It seems that we have missed our chance.好像我们已失去了机会。
- Oh dear,I've mislaid my glasses again.哎呀!我又忘记把我的眼镜放在什么地方了。
- miss, fail
- 这两个词都可以作“不成”解。其区别在于:miss通常要搭用动名词短语; 而fail通常要搭用动词不定式。例如:
- The squirrel was lucky that it missed being caught.那个松鼠很幸运,恰好没有被抓住。
- I have failed to catch the train.我没有搭上那班火车。
误 I missed to see that movie.
正 I missed seeing that movie.
误 They missed their way in the forest.
正 They lost their way in the forest.
析 miss和lose都有“迷失”的含义,但在lose one's way固定词组中不能换用成miss。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的missan，意为未击中；最初源自古日耳曼语的missjan，意为错误，弄错。另一个做‘小姐’称呼之意，1645年进入英语，原意为‘妓女’。
- leave out
- let go
- long for
- pine for
- want n.