low or inferior in station or quality;
"a humble cottage"
"a lowly parish priest"
"a modest man of the people"
inferior in rank or status;
"the junior faculty"
"a lowly corporal"
"a subordinate functionary"
used of unskilled work (especially domestic work)
of low birth or station (`base' is archaic in this sense);
"baseborn wretches with dirty faces"
"of humble (or lowly) birth"
- He was not ashamed of his lowly origins.
- The words of the lowly carry little weight.
- The most lowly people of society became dignified beings in Millet's paintings.
- The saint had a lowly heart.
- His parents are country people with a lowly heart.
- Please read it follow me lowly.
- It's bowed lowly before the queen.
- of lowly station 出身高贵[低微]的,...
Her parents would not..consider allowing their daughter to marry a man..of lowly origin.出自： R. Owen
The lowly status of children..in poverty.出自： D. Rowe