- adj. 低的；少的；低落的；低声的；卑劣的；低等的
- adv. 低地；低声地；低下地；廉价地
- n. 低水平；低价；低谷
- v. 哞哞叫
- 低的,矮的 not high or tall
- 低下的,低等的 ranking below others in importance or quality
- 粗劣的,低俗的 vulgar or coarse
- 意志消沉的,情绪低落的 lacking in vigour, feeble or depressed
- 低 a low level or position
- 低声的 not at a high pitch;quietly
- [C]低点,低水平 low level or figure
an air mass of lower pressure; often brings precipitation;
"a low moved in over night bringing sleet and snow"
British political cartoonist (born in New Zealand) who created the character Colonel Blimp (1891-1963)
a low level or position or degree;
"the stock market fell to a new low"
the lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle; used to start a car moving
less than normal in degree or intensity or amount;
"the reservoir is low"
literal meanings; being at or having a relatively small elevation or upward extension;
"the sun is low"
"a low bow"
very low in volume;
"a low murmur"
"the low-toned murmur of the surf"
unrefined in character;
used of sounds and voices; low in pitch or frequency
of the most contemptible kind;
"a low stunt to pull"
"a low-down sneak"
"his miserable treatment of his family"
"You miserable skunk!"
"a scummy rabble"
"a scurvy trick"
low or inferior in station or quality;
"a humble cottage"
"a lowly parish priest"
"a modest man of the people"
no longer sufficient;
"supplies are low"
"our funds are depleted"
subdued or brought low in condition or status;
"a broken man"
"his broken spirit"
filled with melancholy and despondency ;
"gloomy at the thought of what he had to face"
"a gloomy silence"
"took a grim view of the economy"
"the darkening mood"
"lonely and blue in a strange city"
"depressed by the loss of his job"
"a dispirited and resigned expression on her face"
"downcast after his defeat"
"feeling discouraged and downhearted"
in a low position; near the ground;
"the branches hung low"
make a low noise, characteristic of bovines
- The price they quoted was very low.
- Shadows are longer when the sun is low in the sky.
- We must reorder these items because stock gets low.
- He'd play the violin when he was in low spirits.
- There was a low murmur of conversation in the hall.
- That was a low trick.
- He low family background couldn't hinder his success.
- The sun hung low over the misted valley.
- I asked them to turn the volume down low.
- Many rich families were brought low by the financial crisis.
- The value of the pound has fallen to a new low against the dollar.
- Share prices hit an all-time low.
- He's experienced all the highs and lows of an actor's life.
- The low areas were inundated by floods.
- She set the tea-tray down on the low table in front of the sofa.
- A low brick wall divides our garden from our neighbour's garden.
- The low clouds began to lift.
- He always speaks in a low voice.
- The driver put the car in a low gear to negotiate the steep hill.
- You'll need to change into a lower gear when going up this hill.
- The low salary did not dispose him to accept the position.
- I can quote you a price lower than anybody else's.
- Some of the old newspapers had to go out of business for low sales.
- They lived on low diet.
- I have a low opinion of that book.
- She is in a low state of health.
- He is a man of low birth.
- He keeps low company.
- They have low manners and a low sense of humour.
- The high court upheld the lower court's verdict.
- Some of the students are listening to the boring lecture in low spirits.
- The surrounding land is low and marshy.
- The reservoir was low after the long drought.
- The river is getting low and will soon dry up.
- In winter the river is very low.
- Our water supply is getting low.
- This song is too low for a tenor.
- A man's voice is usually lower than a woman's.
- Five dollars bet is too low.
- He is low in pocket.
- She was low in spirits.
- This milk is low in fat.
- He is low with an illness.
- They were low on ammunition.
- He was low on cash.
- Keep your voices low.
- Don't value yourself too low.
- This song is pitched too low for her voice.
- Speak lower or he'll hear you.
- My family lived very low in the old society.
- Several industrial shares reached new lows yesterday.
- The price of gold hit a 2-year low.
- Profits have reached a new low this month.
- Profits have reached an all-time low this month.
- The value of pound has fallen to a new low against the dollar.
- Many stocks fell to new lows after the news broke out.
- You should put a car in low.
- Our firm's morale has reached new low.
- bring low
使虚弱、贫困或地位降低 make sb in poor health;cut down
- lay low
倒下,卧床,使死亡 lie down;lie in bed
- run low
快用完 use up sth
- low birth 出身低贱的
- low cloud 低云
- low grade 低级
- low land 洼地
- low manner 粗俗的举止
- low opinion 评价低,轻视
- low state of health 身体虚弱
- low shoe 浅口鞋
- low spirits 无精打采,情绪低落
- low taste 低级趣味
- low taxes 低税
- low temperature 低温
- low tree 矮树丛
- low trick 卑鄙的手段
- low voice 低声
- low wall 矮墙
- feel low 变得颓丧,不高兴
- extremely low 非常低
The kitchen, a long, low room.出自： D. H. Lawrence
Five steps, flanked by low stone balustrades.出自： Day Lewis
We could hear the cows lowing.., a mellow sound at that distance.出自： W. van T. Clark
A single calf in a pen, lowing wretchedly at regular intervals.出自： A. Brink
Wind's backed four points...We've got to 'low for it.出自： G. V. Galwey
They flew quite low over the bush.出自： J. Mitchell
He..gathered the next tuft of lucerne, and cut it clean and low.出自： J. M. Coetzee
- low, lowly
- He jumped over the low wall.他跳过矮墙。
- A number of trades, previously thought of as lowly ones, began to receive more attention.从前被人们视为卑贱的一些职业现在开始受到更多的重视。
- low, base, mean, vile
- He had a low position in a church.在教堂里他地位低下。
- They were punished for their base conduct.他们因为道德败坏的行为而受到了惩罚。
- Children living in this area listen to grown-ups speak vile language every day.在这个地区的孩子们每天听着污言秽语长大。
- That was a mean trick.那是一个卑鄙的骗局。
- 2.在语气的强弱上, base是这四个词中最强的,其次是vile, mean和low语气最弱。
- Somebody bought low and sold high.
- Somebody bought at low prices and sold at high prices.
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的lah；最初源自古挪威语的lagr，意为低的。