- v. 承认；供认；告解；听取忏悔
- vt. & vi. 承认,供认 acknowledge; admit
- vt. 忏悔 (of a priest) hear (a person) tell his sins in order to obtain forgiveness
confess to a punishable or reprehensible deed, usually under pressure
admit (to a wrongdoing);
"She confessed that she had taken the money"
confess to God in the presence of a priest, as in the Catholic faith
- I confess you are right on one point.
- Now, I must confess that I'm at my wit's end.
- He confessed that he had never seen her before.
- He refused to confess to his crime.
- This elderly Italian guy goes to his parish priest to confess.
- Many Christians regularly confess to a priest.
- The priest confessed the young man.
- The criminal was caught red-handed, all he could do was to confess.
- The criminal soon confessed.
- He confessed his guilt.
- You will have to confess your error.
- He has confessed his crime in court.
- She confessed hating the boss.
- I confessed telling a lie.
- They confessed taking part in a plot to free the prisoner.
- I confessed having met her.
- He confesses having done it.
- Tom confessed that he'd eaten all the cakes.
- She confessed that she had broken the vase.
- The girl confessed that she had committed the crime in complicity with her friend.
- He confessed where he had hidden the money.
- The police have confessed themselves completely puzzled by this strange crime.
- confess to (v.+prep.)
承认,坦白(罪过等); 承认有(某种看法或意见) admit (sth such as guilt or an opinion )
confess to sb
He confessed to the priest before he died.
他临终前向神父忏悔。confess sth to sb
Many Christians regularly confess their guilty actions and thoughts to a priest.
很多基督徒都定期向牧师忏悔他们的罪行和恶念。confess to sth/v-ing
The prisoner confessed to his part in the crime.
I have to confess to a hatred of modern music.
I confess to some suspicion of your honesty.
Most people confess to a bad memory.
She confessed to stealing the jewels.
He confessed to cheating on the exam.
- confess a crime 认罪
- confess one's faults 认错误
- confess the letter (to be) a forgery 承认这封信是伪造的
- confess one's love 坦陈爱慕之意
- confess one's mistakes 认错
- confess one's sins 忏悔罪过
- confess soon 很快承认
- confess candidly〔frankly, honestly〕 坦率地承认
- confess fearfully 害怕地承认
- confess hesitatingly 犹豫不决地承认
- confess openly 公开地承认
- confess readily 乐于承认
- confess sincerely 诚恳地承认
- confess sorrowfully 伤心地承认
- confess truthfully 如实地承认
- confess willingly 自愿地承认
I here confess myself the King of Tyre.出自：Pericles , Shakespeare
A distorted knowledge, it must be confessed, of religious duty.出自： E. Peacock
It would be interesting to know what sins she confessed.出自： J. Steinbeck
Instead..of confessing their real plight, they made efforts to conceal it.出自： G. F. Kennan
I must confess that this conversation bores me.出自： N. Mailer
They confessed things to each other.出自： M. Bradbury
- confess可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词。用作及物动词时,可接名词、动名词或名词从句作宾语,也可接以“(to be+) adj. ”充当补足语的复合宾语。
- confess, acknowledge, admit, own
- 1.acknowledge和admit所承认的是不对的或不光彩的事实; confess指承认“错误及罪行”; own承认的不一定是“错误及罪行”,只是一般地表明自己的感觉及处境。例如:
- He acknowledged that he was your inferior.他承认他不及你。
- Did he admit to stealing it?他承认是他偷的吗?
- He confessed where he had hidden the money.他供出了他藏钱的地方。
- 2.acknowledge强调在一定压力下承认, admit强调勉强承认。例如:
- Dan acknowledged himself as criminal.达恩承认自己是罪人。
- I admit to a natural fear.我承认生来胆小。
- 3.acknowledge所承认的一般是隐蔽的, admit, confess和own所承认的不一定是隐蔽的。例如:
- Jane acknowledged using her father's motor-car.珍妮承认用了她父亲的摩托车。
- They admitted my statement to be reasonable.他们承认我的陈述有道理。
- The police have confessed themselves completely puzzled by this strange crime.警方承认他们完全被这桩奇特的罪案搞糊涂了。
- 4.confess语气上较强,属正式语体; own则不如confess正式。
- 5.这四个词用作及物动词时,都可接简单宾语或复合宾语,除own外,其他词均可接动名词。admit, confess和own用作不及物动词都可与介词to搭配,其后均可接动名词。例如:
- They acknowledged having been defeated.他们认输了。
- He confessed taking part in a plot to free the prisoner.他供认自己参与了企图营救那个囚犯的密谋。
- She admitted having done wrong.她承认自己做错了。
- acknowledge 承认
- admit 承认
- profess 声称
- consent 同意
- own up 坦白地承认
- come clean <口>全盘托出...
- declare 宣布（声明）...
- affirm 证实
- assert 断言
- make known 发表
- concede 承认
- air 空气
- squeal 用长而尖的声音说...
- fink 破坏及反罢工的人...
- recognize 承认
- conceal 隐藏