- vt. & vi. 扫,打扫,拂去 remove loose dirt, dust, etc. with a brush or broom; clean in this
- vt. & vi. 扫视 pass over (as if) to examine or survey
- [C] 打扫,清扫 an act of sweeping
- [C] 挥动 a long swinging movement of the arm with a weapon, etc.
- [C] 大面积搜索〔攻击〕 an act of moving out over a broad area to search, attack
- [S] 连绵弯曲的地带 a long curved line or area of country
- a wide scope;
"the sweep of the plains"
- someone who cleans soot from chimneys
- winning all or all but one of the tricks in bridge
- a long oar used in an open boat
- (American football) an attempt to advance the ball by running around the end of the line
- a movement in an arc;
"a sweep of his arm"
- sweep across or over;
"Her long skirt brushed the floor"
"A gasp swept cross the audience"
- move with sweeping, effortless, gliding motions;
"The diva swept into the room"
"Shreds of paper sailed through the air"
"The searchlights swept across the sky"
- sweep with a broom or as if with a broom;
"Sweep the crumbs off the table"
"Sweep under the bed"
- force into some kind of situation, condition, or course of action;
"They were swept up by the events"
"don't drag me into this business"
- to cover or extend over an area or time period;
"Rivers traverse the valley floor"
"The parking lot spans 3 acres"
"The novel spans three centuries"
- clean by sweeping;
"Please sweep the floor"
- win an overwhelming victory in or on;
"Her new show dog swept all championships"
- cover the entire range of
- make a big sweeping gesture or movement
- He picked up the broom to help me sweep the floor.
- They asked the little boy to sweep the room clean.
- His fingers swept the keys of the piano.
- The breeze sweeps the crystal mirror of the pool.
- The soldier swept the forest with a telescope.
- A huge wave swept over the deck.
- He helplessly watched the wave sweep his cap away.
- He was the only man to sweep the diving gold medals in two consecutive Olympics.
- The boy helped his mother sweep away the dirt on the floor.
- We need to sweep all obstacles on our road to success.
- This floor needs a good sweep.
- The long sweep of the distant hills could just be seen.
- Her sweep of her audience along with her is really an amazing skill.
- He lost his life in the fierce sweep of the huge wave.
- The woman sat down at the river bank, enjoying the the sweep of the wind over the river.
- They are eager to get outside the sweep of the present authority.
- She gave a quick sweep of the crwod with her eyes.
She is sweeping with a broom.
His glance swept from right to left.
I sweep the carpets every week.
She is sweeping the floor.
The students are sweeping the floor of the classroom.
The captain swept the horizon.
Her eyes swept the room.
The searchlights swept the sky.
They swept the seas of pirates.
They have swept all obstacles.
The branches swept the surface of the water.
His fingers swept the keys of the piano.
Her dress swept the ground.
The storm swept the country.
The riots swept the industrial north and midlands.
The house was swept every day.
The room has been swept.
She swept him a curtsy.
He swept the flag a bow.
I'll have her sweep the room clean.
She swept the floor clean.
This floor needs a good sweep.
Give the room a good sweep.
He gave the room a thorough sweep.
The rescue services did the last sweep to try and find the missing yachtsman.
The police made a thorough sweep of the field where the dead child's body was found.
With a sweep of his sword he cut through the rope.
The long sweep of the distant hills could just be seen.
The mountain is beyond the sweep of your eye.
I was most impressed by the broad sweep of her argument.
If you still use open fires, get a sweep to call regularly.
- sweep along( v.+adv. )
(使)轻快地前进 (cause to) move forward easily, as driven by the wind sweep along
With all the sails up, the little boat swept along in the pleasant wind.小舟张起全部风帆在和风中轻快地前进。sweep sb/sth ⇔ along
The wind swept us along towards the shore.风把我们吹向岸边。
The current swept the logs along.水流冲走了木材。
打动,感染 persuade (sb, usually a crowd) of the truth of one's speech sweep sb ⇔ along
The speaker had the ability to sweep his listeners along with him.这个演说者有打动听众的能力。
- (使)轻快地前进 (cause to) move forward easily, as driven by the wind sweep along
- sweep aside( v.+adv. )
推到一边 push (sb/sth) to one side with a brush or one's handSweeping all others aside, she pushed her way to the front.她把别人都推开,挤到了前边。
He swept the curtains aside. 他把窗帘推到一边。
We will sweep aside all obstacles and continue to advance. 我们将排除一切障碍继续前进。
不予考虑 refuse to pay attention to (sth)He was so full of his own schemes, that he swept aside reasonable doubts.他很有一套自己的办法,对别人合理的怀疑也不予理会。
All these restrictions were swept aside. 所有这些限制都不予考虑。
- 推到一边 push (sb/sth) to one side with a brush or one's handSweeping all others aside, she pushed her way to the front.她把别人都推开,挤到了前边。
- sweep away( v.+adv. )
扫除,刮走,冲走 remove or carry away with great forceThe floods swept away part of the bank.洪水冲垮了一部分堤岸。
The river swept the boat away. 河水冲走了那条小船。
The wind swept the leaves away. 风吹走了树叶。
He swept the dust away. 他把灰尘扫走了。
◇ 用于 be ～ed 结构
The bridge was swept away by the floods. 桥被洪水冲走了。
- 清除 remove or abolish by vigorous actionThey say they will sweep away the administration and introduce new methods.他们说要取消那种管理制度而采用新方法。
- 扫除,刮走,冲走 remove or carry away with great forceThe floods swept away part of the bank.洪水冲垮了一部分堤岸。
- sweep back( v.+adv. )
(使)向后拐〔掠〕 (cause to) lie at an angle away from sth to which it is attached sweep back
The other part of the house sweeps back towards the garden.这栋房子的另一部分向后拐向花园。sweep sth ⇔ back
She swept her hair back with her free hand.她用空着的那只手把头发向后掠了掠。
- (使)向后拐〔掠〕 (cause to) lie at an angle away from sth to which it is attached sweep back
- sweep before( v.+prep. )
接连取得成功 be continuously successful sweep all before one
Jim won every race that afternoon, sweeping all before him.那天下午吉姆屡战屡胜,在几次赛跑中均名列第一。
- 接连取得成功 be continuously successful sweep all before one
- sweep in( v.+adv. )
刮入,冲入 (cause to) enter by the action of wind or water sweep sth ⇔ in
A sudden wind swept a pile of leaves in.突然吹起一阵风,刮进一堆树叶来。
昂然走进 enter a place in a grand manner sweep in
Peter swept in, with his dignity and insolence.彼得神气十足,目空一切地走了进来。
She swept in like a queen.她昂然走了进来,像女王一般。
轻而易举地当选 win an election easily sweep in
Labour swept in on a tide of discontent over rising prices.工党在对物价上涨不满的浪潮声中轻而易举地当选了。
把(赌赢的钱)敛收起来 collect (one's winnings) sweep sth ⇔ in
Did you see the amount of money that player swept in after the last game?你看见最后一局结束后那赌徒收走的那一大笔钱了吗?
- 刮入,冲入 (cause to) enter by the action of wind or water sweep sth ⇔ in
- sweep into( v.+prep. )
把…扫入… push (sth) with or as with a brush, into (a place or pile) sweep sth into sth
Sweep the leaves into the corner where they won't be noticed.把落叶扫到墙角去,那儿不会被人注意。
昂然走进 enter a place in a grand manner sweep into sth
They swept into the hall, preceded by trumpeters.他们以号手为前导昂首阔步走进大厅。
Joining Ulysses and his men, they swept into Troy, killing and burning as they went.他们与尤利西斯的人会合在一起,边走边烧杀,冲进了特洛伊城。
- 把…扫入… push (sth) with or as with a brush, into (a place or pile) sweep sth into sth
- sweep off1( v.+adv. )
扫去,吹掉 remove by brushing, blowing, etc. sweep sth ⇔ off
We have swept off the rubbish.我们已把垃圾扫走了。
The wind swept his hat off.风吹掉了他的帽子。
大量清除 remove in large numbers sweep sb/sth ⇔ off
The epidemic swept off most of the villagers.那场传染病夺去了大部分村民的生命。
- 扫去,吹掉 remove by brushing, blowing, etc. sweep sth ⇔ off
- sweep off2( v.+prep. )
- 把…从…推掉 push (sth) with or as with a brush or the hand off (sth)She swept the papers off the table.她把文件从桌子上推到了地上。
把…从…刮走〔冲走〕 drive (sth/sb) off (sth) by the action of wind or waterThe rising flood swept the travellers off their feet as they struggled to hold onto the branches.正当那些行人拼命抓树枝时,上涨的洪水把他们卷走了。
Three cars were swept off the bridge in the high wind. 大风把三辆汽车从桥上刮下去了。
- sweep out( v.+adv. )
清扫,扫掉 remove dirt from a place with a broom sweep sth ⇔ out
She swept the dirt out.她扫除了灰尘。用于 be ～ed 结构
This room needs to be well swept out.这个房间需要好好清扫一番。
昂然离开 leave a place in a grand manner〔说明〕 sweep out作此解时常不用于进行体。 sweep out (of sth)
He swept out in a fury.他愤怒地匆匆离去。
Without a word, she turned and swept out of the room.她一言不发,转过身高傲地走出了房间。
- 清扫,扫掉 remove dirt from a place with a broom sweep sth ⇔ out
- sweep over( v.+prep. )
涌上…心头,使…难以抑制 (of a feeling) reach and sometimes conquer (sb) by greater strength sweep over sb
A deadly fear swept over him.他突然感到一阵极大的恐惧。
Uncontrollable anger swept over Jim when he learned how Mary had been treated.当吉姆知道了玛丽被如何对待时,一股抑制不住的愤怒涌上心头。
- 涌上…心头,使…难以抑制 (of a feeling) reach and sometimes conquer (sb) by greater strength sweep over sb
- sweep through1( v.+adv. )
轻易地通过 pass sth, as an examination easily sweep through
John thought that he would fail his driving test again, but this time, to his own surprise, he swept through.约翰以为他还是通不过驾驶考试,可出乎他意料之外,他没费劲就通过了。
- 轻易地通过 pass sth, as an examination easily sweep through
- sweep through2( v.+prep. )
- 扫过…,掠过… (cause to) pass smoothly through (sth)Can you hear the wind sweeping through the branches?你能听到风掠过树枝的声音吗?
迅速传遍于… (of a fashion, disease, story, etc.) be passed quickly among (large numbers of people); pass quickly through (a place)〔说明〕 sweep through作此解时,常不用于被动结构。
The fire swept through the business area of the city. 火在该市商业区很快蔓延开了。
The news swept through the village like fire. 那消息像火一样在村中蔓延。
- sweep under( v.+prep. )
清扫…的下面 clean (dirt) with a brush beneath (sth) sweep under sth
Don't forget to sweep under the beds.别忘记打扫床的下面。sweep sth under sth
The servant had a lazy habit of sweeping the dust under the edge of the mat.仆人有个偷懒的习惯,只扫蹭鞋垫边缘底下的尘土。
试图隐瞒错事 try to hide sth wrong sweep sth under the carpet
We have made a serious mistake, and have no intention of sweeping it under the carpet.我们犯了一个严重的错误,但无意隐瞒。用于 be ～ed 结构
I don't think it can be swept under the carpet, everyone should be told.我认为这事隐瞒不了,应该告诉每一个人。
Unpleasant episodes in his early career were swept under the carpet.他早期生涯中的不光彩之事被掩盖起来了。
- 清扫…的下面 clean (dirt) with a brush beneath (sth) sweep under sth
- sweep up( v.+adv. )
清扫 clean (a room), as with a brush sweep up
After all the guests had left,I swept up.客人都走后,我清扫了房间。
The poor women of the area were employed to sweep up after office hours.该地区的贫苦妇女们被雇来每天下班后打扫卫生。sweep sth ⇔ up
The students stirred up much dust when they swept up the fallen leaves.学生们扫落叶时扬起了许多尘土。
Who will sweep up the rubbish after the party?晚会后谁来打扫这些垃圾?
Did you sweep up all the broken glass?你有没有把碎玻璃都扫掉?
- 清扫 clean (a room), as with a brush sweep up
- clean sweep
完全消除,彻底肃清 completely clear awayI want to make a clean sweep of all the old books.我想清除所有的旧书。
He had to make a clean sweep of all his debts. 他不得不偿清全部债务。
- 压倒优势的胜利 completely winHe won the election by a clean sweep.他在选举中大获全胜。
- 完全消除,彻底肃清 completely clear awayI want to make a clean sweep of all the old books.我想清除所有的旧书。
- sweep carpet 打扫地毯
- sweep floor 扫地
- sweep hall 打扫大厅
- sweep horizon 扫视地平线
- sweep kitchen 打扫厨房
- sweep room 打扫房间
- sweep sky 扫视天空
- sweep stage 打扫舞台
- sweep street 扫大街
- sweep wild field 扫视原野
- sweep bitterly 极为失望地扫视
- sweep irresistibly 不可抵抗地扫除
- sweep majestically 庄严地扫视
- sweep vigorously 精力充沛地扫视
- sweep along 轻快地前进
- sweep aside 推到一边去
- sweep away 扫清,肃清,消灭,冲走
- sweep away dead leaves 扫掉枯叶
- sweep away rubbish 扫走垃圾
- sweep away the snow 扫掉积雪
- sweep back 向后拐
- sweep down 突然猛袭
- sweep in 被风刮入
- sweep off 扫去,吹掉
- sweep out 昂然离开,扫出去,卷走
- sweep through 轻易地通过
- sweep up 扫起,扫掉
- sweep across the coast 席卷沿海地区
- sweep from right to left 左右扫视
- sweep into 涌进,使刮入,扫进
- sweep into office 囊括了所有的官职
- sweep into the sea 刮进大海
- sweep over 涌上…心头,一扫而光,席卷,(飞机)掠过
- sweep over the country 席卷全国
- sweep to the south for miles 向南绵亘数英里
- sweep of … 范围
The noiseless sweep by of the large white owl.出自：A. Marsh
The first sweep of royal fury being past.出自：Carlyle
The wind had full sweep.出自：U. Sinclair
Spider-webs..which we have swept away.出自：R. Bagot
- sweep, clean, wipe
这三个词都有“清理,清扫”的意思。其区别是：sweep用在“打扫房间,拖擦地板”的场合,含有“扫在一起后把它清除掉”的意味; clean指“擦洗,去掉污垢”,并不注重采用何种手段; wipe多指“用布轻轻地”擦。
- ☆ 1300年左右英进入语，直接源自古英语的swapan，意为扫。
- sweeper n. 打扫者；扫除机‖sweeping adj. 包罗万象的,一扫而光的;笼统的,泛泛的‖sweepingly adv. 包罗万象地；范围广大,彻底地
- sweep:sweep v. 扫, 打扫, 清扫, 席卷, 冲光, 扫过, 掠过 英英解释:名词sweep:1. a wide scope同义词：expanse2. someone who cleans soot…