- n. 增刊；补充物
- vt. 增补；补充
- vt. 增补 make additions to
textual matter that is added onto a publication; usually at the end
a quantity added (e.g. to make up for a deficiency)
a supplementary component that improves capability
add as a supplement to what seems insufficient;
"supplement your diet"
serve as a supplement to;
"Vitamins supplemented his meager diet"
add to the very end;
"He appended a glossary to his novel where he used an invented language"
- It comes out each week and it has a magazine supplement.
- The upset supplement supplier went up with the puppet to the upper room for supper.
- The money I got was a useful supplement to my ordinary income.
- Man's work is rather the needful supplement to himself than the outcome of it.
- She gives private lessons to supplement her income.
- I supplement my grant by working in the evenings.
- I never refuse odd jobs to supplement my income it's all grist to the mill.
- They had to get a job to supplement the family income.
- supplement by (v.+prep.)
(通过…)增补,补充 add to sth by (sth)
supplement sth by sth/v-ing
He supplements his ordinary income by writing books.
She supplements her regular income by doing a bit of teaching in the evenings.
He supplements his regular meals by eating between meals.
The text is supplemented by an adequate glossary.
- supplement with (v.+prep.)
用…增补,补充 add to sth with (sth)
supplement sth with sth
She supplements her diet with eggs and fruit.
Farmers supplement natural fertilizer with chemical fertilizer.
- supplement adequately〔fully〕 充足地补充
- supplement authoritatively 有权威地补充
- supplement completely 完全地补充
- supplement definitely 限定地补充
- supplement elaborately 精心地补充
- supplement by 通过…来补充
- supplement with 用…来补充
- supplement natural fertilizer with chemical fertilizer 用化肥补充天然肥料
Some vitamin supplement she took.出自： B. Vine
He..supplemented his meal with..grapes.出自： G. Gissing
Spare time in which to supplement his income by literary work.出自： K. M. E. Murray
- supplement用作及物动词,接名词或代词作宾语,宾语后常接with或by; 与with连用,强调“补充的东西”; 与by连用,强调“补充的方法”。
- supplement, complement
- supplement指对已很完整的事物作增补,以使其进一步改进、丰富、提高。尽管所增加的东西对原事物的完全或完整并不是非有不可的,也不一定是相互依存的; 而complement则含有“使…完全〔完整〕”的意思,意味着它作为补充的东西是必不可少的,加上它才使被补充的东西更完备,更完美。
- ☆ 14世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自拉丁语的supplementum，意为增补。