- [U]物质,物体 the material which makes up the world and everything in space which can be seen or touched
- [U]题材,内容 a subject itself as opposed to the form in which it is spoken or written about
- [C]事情,问题 affair; subject to which one gives attention
- [S]困难,毛病,麻烦 a trouble or cause of pain, illness, etc.
- [U]重要性 (of) importance
- vi. 要紧,有关系 be of importance
- a vaguely specified concern;
"several matters to attend to"
"it is none of your affair"
"things are going well"
- some situation or event that is thought about;
"he kept drifting off the topic"
"he had been thinking about the subject for several years"
"it is a matter for the police"
- that which has mass and occupies space;
"physicists study both the nature of matter and the forces which govern it"
- a problem;
"is anything the matter?"
- (used with negation) having consequence;
"they were friends and it was no matter who won the games"
- written works (especially in books or magazines);
"he always took some reading matter with him on the plane"
- have weight; have import, carry weight;
"It does not matter much"
- I don't talk with my boss about my private matters.
- She reluctantly agreed to let the matter drop.
- He reconsidered his decision for the new development of the matter.
- Is anything the matter?
- I want to speak to her in the matter of my salary.
- Matter can change from one state to another.
- It is no matter whether he comes or not.
- Does it matter what you do next ?
- What matter if they meet with some difficulties?
- As long as you are happy, it doesn't matter what you will do.
Matter is the opposite of mind.
Matter is primary and mind is secondary.
The river is rich in organic matter.
The entire universe is made up of different kinds of matter.
Matter and energy are equal and interchangeable.
What's the subject matter of today's debate?
The book contains much useless matter.
I find much matter for reflection in this book.
Perfection of form cannot excuse poverty of matter.
The matter in your composition is quite good but the writing is not lucid enough.
I must take some suitable reading matter for the journey.
The room is furnished with good reading matter.
The matter admits of no delay.
I don't talk to my employer about private matters.
It is a matter of regret that you couldn't come there on time.
Some people adopted a wait-and-see policy in this matter.
It is difficult to argue the matter without hurting her feelings.
It relates to a matter of time.
Not much the matter.
That is a decision of little matter.
It's a matter of duty.
That is his matter for complaint.
There is no matter for wonder.
Matters went rapidly from bad to worse.
This will make matters worse.
They kept quiet about it until matters took a disturbing new turn.
You should adapt yourself for new ways of looking at matters.
You must have something the matter with your eyes.
Is there anything the matter with him?
Age doesn't matter.
All these things do not matter now.
What they say matters little.
It doesn't matter.
It doesn't matter much.
It does not matter at all.
I wasn't able to speak to her before she left—not that it matters though, because I can phone her tonight.
“I'm sorry; I am two minutes late.”“It doesn't matter.”
The cut got dirty and after a few days began to matter.
It doesn't matter hurting myself a little bit.
It had never mattered much to her that she had not had a formal education.
If a person does his best it doesn't matter what people think of him.
It does not matter who wins.
It doesn't matter how you're dressed.
What does it matter if it rains?
It doesn't matter if I miss my train, because there's another later.
It doesn't matter much whether we go together or separately.
Does it matter to you what people say?
It doesn't matter to me whether to go by ship or train.
- a matter of fact
事实上 the truth
It is a matter of fact, not a matter of opinion. 这是一个事实问题,而不是一个看法不同的问题。
It is a matter of fact that excessive exposure to the sun's rays, especially in fair-skinned people, can cause skin cancer. 事实上,过度地暴露于阳光之下,特别是对那些白皮肤的人们来说,易患皮肤癌。
- 事实上 the truth
- a matter of life and death
生死攸关的事情；成败的关键 issue that is crucial to survival,success,etc.
He told the telephone operator that his call was a matter of life and death. 他告诉接线员,说他的电话是生死攸关的重要事情。
- 生死攸关的事情；成败的关键 issue that is crucial to survival,success,etc.
- a matter of opinion
看法不同的见解 sth about which people hold different views
Whether she's clever or not is a matter of opinion. 对于她是否聪明大家看法不同。
- 看法不同的见解 sth about which people hold different views
- as a matter of conscience
从道德观点出发 thinking of sth according to conscience
As a matter of conscience, he doesn't feel that he can stand up for the President any longer. 凭良心讲,他认为他没法再支持总统了。
- 从道德观点出发 thinking of sth according to conscience
- as a matter of course
She took the news as a matter of course. 她把这则消息当作理所当然的事承受。
When I go out of the house I lock the door as a matter of course. 我走出家门时总是理所当然地把门锁上。
We don't have to ask her—she'll do it as a matter of course. 我们不必请求她做这件事,她自然会去做的。
The milkman leaves us three pints a day as a matter of course. 送奶人每天自然给我们送3瓶奶。
- 自然,通常 naturally
- as a matter of fact
事实上,其实 in truth
Mary didn't seem to believe it.As a matter of fact, she said she suspected it. 玛丽似乎不相信,事实上,她怀疑。
Mike said he didn't tell a lie.As a matter of fact, he did. 迈克说他从没有说过谎。事实上,他说过。
I'm going there tomorrow, as a matter of fact. 其实,我明天是准备去的。
- 事实上,其实 in truth
- as a matter of routine
As a matter of routine, the sheriff's office there had been notified of the change of address. 按照惯例,他们已把地址改变的消息通知了那里的郡长办公室。
- 按照惯例 routinely
- be a matter of
问题的关键是… be a question of what is necessary
I know we need some extra help but it's a matter of finding the right person for the job. 我知道我们需要更多的帮助,但问题的关键是找个合适的人来干这项工作。
- 问题的关键是… be a question of what is necessary
- be a matter of time
迟早要发生 will happen sooner or later
We must do something about that dead tree, it's only a matter of time before it falls down and maybe injures somebody. 我们必须对那棵枯树进行处理,它迟早要倒下来,可能会砸伤人的。
It's only a matter of time. 这只是个时间问题。
- 迟早要发生 will happen sooner or later
- be the matter with
成为困难〔问题〕 be the difficulty〔problem〕
Whatever is the matter with you? 你究竟出了什么事?
Something is the matter with his voice. 他的嗓音有些不对头。
Something is the matter with Eric—he's been in a bad mood all day. 埃里克是有些问题——他整天精神不佳。
- 成为困难〔问题〕 be the difficulty〔problem〕
- for that matter
就那件事而论,关于那一点 concerning that
He doesn't trust his partner.For that matter I can't blame him. 他不信任自己的合伙人,就这一点来说,我不能责怪他。
Your mother would never allow it, and for that matter, neither would I. 你母亲绝不会允许这种事,而且我也不会。
- 就那件事而论,关于那一点 concerning that
- (in) a matter of
大约,左右 about; or so
The book sold for a matter of five yuan . 这本书售价过去是5元左右。
We walked the whole way to the station, a matter of 3 miles. 我们一直走到车站,大约3英里的路程。
Don't worry it's only a matter of hours till the doctor arrives. 别着急,医生几小时后就会赶到。
The police arrived in a matter of minutes. 警察几分钟就到了。
- 大约,左右 about; or so
- in the matter of
在…方面; 就…而论 about sth
He has not too good a reputation in the matter of honesty. 就诚实而言,他的名声不太好。
- 在…方面; 就…而论 about sth
- matter in question
正在考虑〔讨论〕的问题 point being considered〔discussed〕
Did the matter in question occur on or about ten o'clock on the fifteenth of June? 那事是在6月15日10点正或10点左右发生的吗?
- 正在考虑〔讨论〕的问题 point being considered〔discussed〕
- no laughing matter
需要严肃对待的事,正经事 serious thing
Looking after fifteen noisy children is no laughing matter. 照看15个吵吵嚷嚷的孩子可不是闹着玩的事。
- 需要严肃对待的事,正经事 serious thing
- no matter
不介意,不要紧 never mind; it is unimportant
It's no matter that he didn't phone. 他没有打电话也没关系。
It's no matter whether you arrive early or late. 无论你早到或晚到都无关紧要。
It made no matter to him that his daughter lost all her money. 他女儿把钱都丢失了,但对他来说这并不要紧。
Let it go since it is of no matter. 既然那不要紧,就让它去吧。
It's no matter to me whether you arrive early or late. 你到得早还是晚,对我来说无所谓。
It makes no matter. 那无关紧要。
不管,不论 regardless of
No matter what you say,I like to listen. 不管你说什么,我都喜欢听。
No matter what happens,I won't leave my position. 不论发生什么事,我都不会擅离岗位。
No matter how difficult the task may be, we must complete it in time. 不管任务如何艰巨,我们必须按时完成。
I'll finish the job, no matter how long it takes. 不管花多长时间,我都要把这工作做完。
No matter what happened, he would not say a word. 不管发生过什么事,他不会说一个字。
Don't open the door, no matter who calls! 不管谁叫门,都不要开!
- 不介意,不要紧 never mind; it is unimportant
- no matter what
He's decided to leave tomorrow, no matter what. 不管发生什么事,他已决定明天走。
- 无论如何,不管怎样 whatever
- not to mince matters
坦率地说 to be frank
We're in trouble.Not to mince matters, we're ruined! 我们遇到了麻烦,坦率地说,我们已破产了!
- 坦率地说 to be frank
- what's the matter?
怎么回事?怎么啦? what is the problem?what is wrong?
What's the matter?Why are you crying? 怎么回事?你为什么哭?
What's the matter with this machine? 这机器怎么啦?
What's the matter with your eyes? 你的眼睛怎么了?
- 怎么回事?怎么啦? what is the problem?what is wrong?
- matter about (v.+prep.)
对…重要 be important to (sb) matter about sb/sth/v-ing
It doesn't matter about me; I can walk.不要管我,我能走。
It doesn't matter about the price, buy it, whatever it costs.不要考虑价钱,无论花多少钱,都买吧。
Is the idea clear?It does not matter about the actual numbers.概念清楚了吗?具体数字倒没什么关系。
It doesn't matter if you close the door.关门没关系。
- 对…重要 be important to (sb) matter about sb/sth/v-ing
- matter to (v.+prep.)
对…重要 be important to (sb) matter to sb/sth
My health matters more to my doctor than to my family.我的健康状况对医生比对我家里人更为重要。
That was what mattered most to him.那是对他至关重要的事。
It matters little to me.这对我无所谓。
It matters greatly to our relationship.这事对你我之间的关系影响重大。
I don't think anybody matters to her apart from herself.我认为除了她自己以外,别人对她无关紧要。
- 对…重要 be important to (sb) matter to sb/sth
- arrange matter 安排事情
- bring the matter 引起某人注意这事件
- clear up matters 澄清事情
- consider a matter 考虑问题
- contain much useless matter 包含许多无用的物质
- create matter 创造物质,生成物质
- discuss a matter 讨论问题
- explain a matter 解释问题
- give the matter careful thought 慎重考虑这件事
- handle a matter 处理问题
- ignore the matter 调查这件事
- let the matter go 让这件事过去
- make the matters worse 把事情搞得更糟
- put off the matter 推迟处理某事
- put the matter right 拨乱反正
- set matters right 把事情纠正过来
- sum up the matter 总结某事
- take matter easy 泰然处之
- take a matter up 着手调查某事
- think a matter over 思考某事
- treat a matter 对待问题
- turn the matter over in one's mind 反复考虑某事
- another matter 另一件事
- colouring matter 色素
- difficult matter 难事
- educational matters 教育问题
- fundamental matter 根本问题
- great matter 大事
- house-hold matters 家庭事项
- long-range matters 长远的问题
- mailed matter 邮件
- minor matter 小事
- personal matters 个人问题
- printed matter 印刷品
- private matter 私事
- public matter 公事
- serious matter 严肃的事情
- settled matter 已决定的事项
- small matter 小事
- subject matter 主题
- vital matter 重大的事情
- waste matter 废物
- worldly matters 俗事
- as a matter of fact 事实上
- as a matter of record 根据资料,作为资料
- for that matter 就这件事来说
- in the matter of 至于
- on all matters 对于一切事情
- matter for congratulation 值得祝贺之事
- matter of common knowledge 常识的问题
- matter of first importance 头等重要的问题
- matter of great delicacy 需要谨慎处理的问题
- matter of great significance 具有重大意义的事情
- matter of public knowledge 众所周知的事
He vsed no golde but pure beryll and christall, and other like mattier to drinke in.出自：T. Elyot
He was still unpersuaded that his own fate mattered very much.出自：V. Brome
She hadn't brought her glasses with her; not that it really mattered.出自：R. Ingalls
- matter也可作“事情”解,有时可转化为“问题”解。the matter指“麻烦事,困难,毛病”,在句中可用作表语或后置定语,常用在what, something, anything或nothing后。复数形式matters意为“情形,事态”,而不是“多件事”。
- (in) a matter of还可与表示时间、距离、金钱的词连用,意为“…左右,…上下”,有“很少”的意味。
- what's the matter有两种译法：如果要询问有关的人或物时, the matter相当于wrong(毛病,故障),意为“出了什么事”,是习惯用语。另外, matter还可作“物质”解,是不可数名词。例如:What's the matter with that boy?那男孩出了什么事?What's the matter with your leg?你的腿怎么了?What's the matter in the bottle?瓶里装的是什么物质?
- matter用作可数名词多指“事态,问题”,但指一般事情常用something, anything, nothing; 指具体的问题时常用question, problem,一般不用matter。
- 在回答别人的道歉时,应该说It doesn't matter,不说no matter。
- matter后跟more and more或less and less短语时,可用于进行时态,因为matter已由状态性动词转化为运动性动词了。例如:Class origin seems to be mattering less and less, but diploma appears to be mattering more and more these days.如今家庭出身似乎越来越次要了,而文凭却越来越显得重要。
- in a matter of, in the matter of
两者不容混淆:in a matter of的意思是“只消,不过”; 而in the matter of的意思是“关于,对于”。例如:You can finish the course in a matter of weeks.你只消几周就能学完这门课程。Jimmy has a name in the matter of enthusiasm in work.吉米的工作干劲是有名的。
- matter, affair, business, concern, thing
这组词在含糊地指那些所做的事时意义相近,常可互换。例如：It is a regretful affair〔business, concern, matter, thing〕.这是一件遗憾的事。I don't talk to her about private affairs〔business, concerns, matters, things〕.我从不和她谈私事。它们之间的区别在于：1.从模糊程度上看, affair＜matter＜thing, thing的词义最不确切,常可用在有意使概念含混不清的场合。例如：How did you find things in America?你觉得美国怎样?2.从含义上看, affair强调运行或操作过程,如一道程序,一笔交易,一个行动,一项事业等。business强调职责关系,例如：It is her business to take good care of the baby.看护好这个婴儿是她的职责。concern强调利害相关,例如：It is no concern of mine.此事与我无关。matter强调必须考虑和处理,例如：We have a lot of matters to do.我们有许多事情要做。thing则是一般用语,口语中常表示说话内容预先未考虑好或说话者力图掩饰自己的观点,例如：I've another thing to talk with you.我还有一件事跟你说。3.从用法上看, business不能用复数,而affair在指重大的或头绪较多的事务时则需要用复数。4.从搭配范围上看,与foreign、international、state等词连用时只能用affair,在短语have an affair with sb (与某人有不正当男女关系)中也只能用affair。在指商业上的生意和活动或指“公事”“正事”时只能用business,例如：It's a pleasure to do business with you.很高兴和你做生意。Business before pleasure.公事比娱乐要紧。口语中作“出了毛病”“失常”解时,只能用matter而不能用affair和business,例如：What's the matter with you?你怎么啦?在泛指“东西”“物品”时,用affair和thing均可。例如：And these Tubes were convenient things〔affairs〕.而这地下铁道是非常方便的东西。
- matter, material, stuff, substance
这组词都可表示“物质”。其区别在于:1.matter泛指构成客观物体或宇宙的所有物质。在物理学上指由很少的几种基本粒子构成的物质; 在哲学上则指与mind(意识)相对的物质。例如:Matter occupies space.物质占据空间。2.stuff, material和substance都可指构成或制作某物的材料或零件, material特指人造制品的制作原料, substance则指某种可使某物具有某种特性的特殊物质。例如:Hope is the stuff that dreams are made of.希望正是构成理想的材料。The tips of matches are covered with chemical substance.火柴头上包着一层化学物质。3.material还可指文学创作的素材,而其他的词却无此义。例如:He is now collecting material for a biography of Du Fu.他正在为写作杜甫传记而收集资料。4.stuff是日常用语,不用于科技文体中,而其他的词则可用作科技术语。例如:He was told to move his stuff out of the room.人家叫他把他的东西搬出房间去。
- It doesn't matter about me.
- It doesn't matter to me.
- affair business matter concern thing
- material matter substance stuff
误 The physical world is composed of matters.
正 The physical world is composed of matter.
误 What's the matter to you?
正 What's the matter with you?
误 There wasn't any matter with the radio.
正 There was nothing the matter with the radio.
析 the matter with为固定搭配,表示“…出了毛病”。
误 As the matter of fact he was pretending to be asleep.
正 As a matter of fact he was pretending to be asleep.
析 as a matter of fact是固定说法,表示“事实上”。
误 I have several matters to do.
正 I have several things to do.
析 matter虽可用作可数名词,并可说a matter,但不可说two matters, several matters,可改用two things, several things。
误 The child will eat no matter what you give him.
正 The child will eat whatever you give him.
析 no matter what引起的从句不能作主语或宾语,而whatever可以引导主语从句或宾语从句。
误 The matter is that we won't have enough room in the car to take you with us.
正 The problem is that we won't have enough room in the car to take you with us.
析 the matter作“问题”或“麻烦”解时不用作主语。
误 It doesn't matter with him whether you will come or not.
正 It doesn't matter to him whether you will come or not.
析 表示“…对某人无关紧要”,应该说It doesn't matter to sb,其中介词 to 不能改用with。
- ☆ 1300年左右进入英语，直接源自殖英诺曼底语的matere；最初源自古典拉丁语的materia，意为一颗树的硬树的实心，组成事物的材料。
- n.(名词) insignificance
- matter:matter n. 事件, 问题, 物质, 内容, 实质, 原因, (印刷或书写的)文件, (文章或讲话等的)素材vi. 有关系, 要紧习惯用语a matter of 大约, 大概 ...的问题a m…