- adj. 坚定的；坚固的；忠实可信的；不漏水的
- vt. 止住；止血
firm and dependable especially in loyalty;
"a steadfast ally"
"a staunch defender of free speech"
stop the flow of a liquid;
"staunch the blood flow"
"stem the tide"
- He's a staunch supporter of the monarchy.
- They are staunch soldiers.
- And the fingers trying to staunch the bloody wound at his neck.
- Messy rescues of Citigroup and Bank of America have failed to staunch their losses.
- I helped her staunch cut.
Our Coffer-dam..which we began to despair of ever getting..stanch.出自： G. Semple