- n. 季节；赛季；旺季；时期
- v. 给 ... 调味；适应；风干
- [C] 季(节) part of the year distinguished according to its particular type of weather
- [C] 节期,时期 time of the year when sth is easily available or common, or when a certain activity takes place
- vt. 使适应; 使适用 cause to be acclimatized, etc.; make suitable for use
- vt. 调味 flavour (food) (with salt, pepper, etc.)
- vt. & vi. (使)变干燥 (cause to) become dry
a period of the year marked by special events or activities in some field;
"he celebrated his 10th season with the ballet company"
"she always looked forward to the avocado season"
one of the natural periods into which the year is divided by the equinoxes and solstices or atmospheric conditions;
"the regular sequence of the seasons"
a recurrent time marked by major holidays;
"it was the Christmas season"
lend flavor to;
"Season the chicken breast after roasting it"
"This trip will season even the hardiest traveller"
make more temperate, acceptable, or suitable by adding something else; moderate;
"she tempered her criticism"
- Winter is the coldest season in a year.
- He will captain the basketball team next season.
- Holiday prices are lower out of season.
- The last three years have been a good season for the company.
- You can season the soup with salt and pepper.
- He seasoned his conversation with jokes and anecdotes.
- He began to season the arid climate in the Middle East.
- Spring is my favourite season.
- There are four seasons in a year.
- It's a little too warm for the season.
- Plants grow fast in the warmest season.
- Between seasons, they dug medicinal roots, hunted and picked mushrooms.
- The spring-sowing season has set in.
- The rainy season is coming.
- The reservoir can even out the flow of the river by controlling floods during rainy seasons and releasing water in dry periods.
- The enemy is going to deliver an attack during the dry season.
- The female turtle, every breeding season, has to forsake the open ocean.
- The football season begins next week.
- With only one good pitcher this season,I'm afraid we have all our eggs in one basket.
- After Christmas is the quiet season for business.
- It is always advisable to book early when you want a hotel room during the tourist season.
- The couple came to spend the season in Paris.
- This is the season for sleeveless dresses.
- They employ day-labourers during the busy season.
- The young people had so much fun during the holiday season.
- The store was dressing its display windows for the Christmas season.
- Timber seasons quickly in the wind.
- The carpenter taught us how to season wood.
- The timber has been seasoned well.
- Make sure the timber is well seasoned.
- The actor was seasoned by years of performing.
- in season
中听 pleasant to the ear; agreeable to the hearerIt's none too many for a word in season.话不投机半句多。
- out of season
(花等)落令,凋谢; 淡季 (flowers etc.) not in season
- season to (v.+prep.)
使适应 cause to be acclimatized, etc.
season sb to sth
He was seasoned to the hard life.
The young people from the South have been seasoned to the severe cold of the North.
- season with (v.+prep.)
添加…使更有趣〔生动〕 make (sth) more lively by adding (sth)I think she has been seasoning her story with a few inventions.我认为她的故事里添加了一些虚构的情节。
- close a season 宣告某季节的结束,过了旺季
- divide into seasons 分成季节
- end a season 结束一个季节
- enjoy a season 愉快地过一个季节
- expect a season 期望一个季节
- have a season 有个季节
- open a season 宣告某季节的开始,进入旺季
- spend a season 度过一个季节
- start a season 开始一个季节
- all seasons 四季
- busy season 繁忙的季节
- close season 禁猎期
- cold season 寒冷的季节
- dead season 淡季,闲季
- dry season 旱季
- dull season 淡季
- high season 旺季
- hot season 热季
- low season 淡季
- musical season 音乐季节
- open season 狩猎季节
- rainy season 雨季
- rush season 旺季,忙季
- social season 社交季节
- the best season 最好的季节
- unfruitful season 没有收获的季节
- wet season 湿季
- breeding season 繁殖期
- cherry season 樱桃花盛开期
- Christmas season 圣诞节前后
- farming season 农作季节
- fishing season 捕鱼季节
- growing season 生长时期
- holiday season 休假〔旅游〕的旺季
- hunting season 狩猎季节
- mating season 动物的交配季节
- nesting season 筑巢产卵期
- planting season 种植季节
- shooting season 狩猎期
- sowing season 播种季节
- swimming season 游泳季节
- the Spring Festival season 春节时令
- tourist season 旅游季节
- opera season 歌剧荟萃期
- the baseball season 棒球赛季
- the basketball season 篮球赛季
- the football season 足球赛季
- the harvest season 收获季节
- theatre season 戏剧会演期
- at a season 在一个季节里
- at all seasons 一年四季
- before season 早于季节
- behind season 迟于季节
- for a season 短时期
- for the season 就这个季节来说
- in season 当今,应时,在旺季,在狩猎期
- word in season 及时的劝告
- in and out of season 任何时候,一年到头
- out of season 已过时的
- through the four seasons 一年四季
- season for a journey 旅行时节
- season for harvesting 收获的季节
- season for the tourist industry 适于旅游的季节
- season of flowers 花开季节
- season deftly 熟练地调味
- season deliciously 味道调得很可口
- season professionally 专业性地使变干燥
- season pungently 味道调得很刺鼻
- season quickly 干得很快
- season richly 味道调得很重
- season skillfully 熟练地调味
The season changed, and..autumn crept over all England.出自： W. Trevor
It's already seasoned which means you don't have to throw a ton of salt on top.出自： E. Reveley
- season的基本意思是“季节”,即一年中有某个特点的时期,可指每年以气候为标志的“时节,时令”; 每年以活动为标志的季节; 体育比赛的“赛季”; 某些农业季节; 种植季节; 动物的交配季节; 渔猎季节; 节日,尤指圣诞节节期等。也可指社交繁忙时期、系列专题音乐会、戏剧会演时期等。
- season既可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词。用作及物动词时,接名词或代词作宾语。作“使适应”解时,常与介词to连用; 与with连用表示“给…加调料”,用于文章、诗歌等,表示“添加…使更有趣〔生动〕”。
误 This is not the season of peaches.
正 This is not the season for peaches.
析 the season for表示“…上市的季节”,其中介词用for,不用of。苹果即将上市。
误 Apples will be in the season soon.
正 Apples will be in season soon.
析 in season表示“上市”, season前不需定冠词the。现在是螃蟹落令季节。
误 Crabs are out of the season now.
正 Crabs are out of season now.
析 out of season表示“不当令”或“落市”,这里season前不可带定冠词the。他在1969年春季回到了故乡。
误 He returned to his hometown in the spring season of 1969.
正 He returned to his hometown in the spring of 1969.
析 “春季”只说spring,不说spring season,夏秋冬亦同。他每个季度末付房租。
误 He pays his rent at the end of each season.
正 He pays his rent at the end of each quarter.
- ☆ 直接源自古法语的seison，意为季节；最初源自拉丁语的sationem，意为播种。