- vt. 缩减,减少; 降低 make less in size, amount, price, degree, etc.
- vi. 减轻体重,节食 lose weight intentionly; diet
- vt. 降职 make sb lower in rank or status; demote sb
- vt. 使…陷入某种状态或状况中 bring sb/sth into a specified state or condition
- vt. 将…概括或简化 change sth to a more general or basic form
- vt. 将…还原 remove oxygen from or add hydrogen or electrons to (a compound)
- cut down on; make a reduction in;
"reduce your daily fat intake"
"The employer wants to cut back health benefits"
- make less complex;
"reduce a problem to a single question"
- bring to humbler or weaker state or condition;
"He reduced the population to slavery"
- simplify the form of a mathematical equation of expression by substituting one term for another
- lower in grade or rank or force somebody into an undignified situation;
"She reduced her niece to a servant"
- be the essential element;
"The proposal boils down to a compromise"
- reduce in size; reduce physically;
"Hot water will shrink the sweater"
"Can you shrink this image?"
- lessen and make more modest;
"reduce one's standard of living"
- make smaller;
"reduce an image"
- to remove oxygen from a compound, or cause to react with hydrogen or form a hydride, or to undergo an increase in the number of electrons
- narrow or limit;
"reduce the influx of foreigners"
- put down by force or intimidation;
"The government quashes any attempt of an uprising"
"China keeps down her dissidents very efficiently"
"The rich landowners subjugated the peasants working the land"
- undergo meiosis;
"The cells reduce"
- reposition (a broken bone after surgery) back to its normal site
- destress and thus weaken a sound when pronouncing it
- reduce in scope while retaining essential elements;
"The manuscript must be shortened"
- be cooked until very little liquid is left;
"The sauce should reduce to one cup"
- cook until very little liquid is left;
"The cook reduced the sauce by boiling it for a long time"
- lessen the strength or flavor of a solution or mixture;
- take off weight
- The new government's prime task is to reduce the level of inflation.
- We need to reduce our dependence on oil as a source of energy.
- They were reduced to begging.
- You need to reduce the equation to its simplest form.
- Electrons from water involved in noncyclic photophosphorylation are used to reduce the added substance.
- In the case of very small strains, these derived bounds reduce known results for linear cases.
She has been reducing for the last few weeks.
No sugar, thank you —I'm trying to reduce.
They are trying a new diet in order to reduce.
I must reduce to get into that fine dress.
Some fat people try to reduce their weight.
We shall have to reduce the price if we want this buyer to take the house off our hands.
The new working method further reduced production costs.
What the factory should do now is to try to reduce the production cost.
The government has taken measures to reduce public expenditure.
He decided to reduce family expenses.
The driver reduced the driving speed.
Lubrication reduces noise and wear.
They used a stolen car to reduce the risk of detection.
The army reduced the fort by a sudden attack.
A doctor can reduce a fracture or dislocation.
The rising sun quickly reduced the fog.
I bought this shirt because it was reduced.
If the pressure is not reduced, the cylinder is likely to fracture.
Following the cutting down of personnel, the cost of production was correspondingly reduced.
If the tax is reduced, that 5% will come off the price of the goods.
Hunger reduced him to steal.
In those days poverty reduced many people to beg in the street.
They went to the cinema at a reduced fare.
She could not face up to the prospect of living in reduced circumstances.
The country's present difficulties arise from the reduced value of its money.
The people must reconcile themselves to a reduced standard of living.
- reduce by (v.+prep.)
使…以(某幅度)减少 make (sth such as an amour or price) less
She reduced her weight by five kilograms. 她把体重减轻了5公斤。
The new canal will reduce the distance between the two cities by half. 新运河将使两个城市间的距离缩短一半。
They have reduced the price by ten percent. 他们已降价10%。
We are going to reduce the price of these coats by 20 per cent. 我们打算把这些上衣减价20%销售。
◇ 用于 be ～ed 结构
The price was reduced by ten percent. 价格降低了10%。
以…方法减少 make (sth such as an amount or price) less by doing sth
Reduce the sauce by boiling it for ten minutes. 把调味汁煮沸10分钟,使之浓缩变稠。
Some fat people try to reduce their weight by eating less. 有些胖人试图通过少吃减肥。
用…方法还原 remove oxygen from or add hydrogen or electrons to (a compound) with sth
The chemist reduced water by electrolysis. 化学家用电解法把水还原为氢。
- 使…以(某幅度)减少 make (sth such as an amour or price) less
- reduce from (v.+prep.)
使…低于 make (sth such as a price) less than (a former level) reduce sth from sth
I bought this shirt because it was considerably reduced from its original price.我买这件上衣是因为它远远低于它的原价。
- 使…低于 make (sth such as a price) less than (a former level) reduce sth from sth
- reduce in (v.+prep.)
使…方面降低 bring (sth/sb) down with regard to (a level, price, etc.) reduce sb/sth in sth
He would not reduce it in price.他不愿降低它的价格。
They have decided to reduce him in post.他们已经决定降他的职。用于 be ～ed 结构
Most of the daily necessities have been greatly reduced in price.大部分日用品已大降价。
He was reduced in rank.他被降级了。
- 使…方面降低 bring (sth/sb) down with regard to (a level, price, etc.) reduce sb/sth in sth
- reduce to (v.+prep.)
- 〔说明〕 reduce to通常不用于进行体。
使降低到,遭受 bring sth to a smaller number or amount; change sth to its parts; bring or get to a certain condition, especially humble, unpleasant, or dishonourable reduce sb/sth to sth/v-ing
They reduced the expenses to 60 per cent.他们将开支压缩到60%。
We should reduce the unproductive expenditure to a minimum.我们应该把非生产性开支压缩到最低限度。
The fighting reduced the city to a shambles.这场战斗使这座城市成了一片废墟。
A conflagration in 1947 reduced 90 percent of the houses to ashes.1947年的一场大火,使90%的房屋化为灰烬。
Even when we reduce the salt to a fine powder, it still tastes salt.即使把食盐捣成粉末,它还是有咸味的。
A succession of bad harvest had reduced the small farmer to penury.连续歉收使得这个小农场主陷入了贫困境地。
Anxiety about the fate of his family reduced him to a nervous wreck.对家人命运的担忧使他精神崩溃。用于 be ～ed 结构
His income has been reduced to half its amount .他的收入减少了一半。
The operation must be carefully planned so that the loss of blood would be reduced to a minimum.这次手术要周密计划,要把失血降到最低限度。
Your speed must be reduced to the city speed as soon as you cross the border.你一进市区车速就得减到市区的规定速度。
He is reduced almost to a skeleton.他瘦得几乎变成了一个骨头架子。
The chalk was reduced to powder.粉笔被磨成粉末。
The house was reduced to ashes.那房子被烧成了灰烬。
I bought the coat as it was reduced to only ￡30.我买这件上衣因为它减价到只卖30英镑。
After the Opium War of 1840,China was gradually reduced to a semicolonial and semi￣feudal society.1840年鸦片战争后,中国逐渐沦为一个半殖民地半封建的社会。
Its people were thus reduced to slavery.就这样它的人民都沦为奴隶了。
In the old society he was finally reduced to begging.在旧社会,他最后被逼得讨饭。
During the famine, many people were reduced to eating grass and leaves.许多人在饥荒时被迫吃青草啃树叶充饥。
The captain was reduced to the ranks.上尉被降为士兵。
归纳,简化 consider separate things together as a unity; simplify sth made up of many parts as a single thing or idea reduce sth/wh-clause to sth
I think we can reduce his rather lengthy statement to one or two essential points.我认为可以把他冗长的演说归纳为一两个要点。
This kind of analysis reduces the problem to its simplest form.这种分析把这个问题概括成最简单的形式。
We can reduce what he said to three simple facts.我们可以把他讲的内容归纳为三件事。用于 be ～ed 结构
His life's work can be reduced to a search for truth.他的毕生事业可以说就是探求真理。
Boil all the ingredients together till they are reduced to half the quantity.将所有配料放在一起熬,使它们浓缩成一半。
折合; 分解成 change; separate sth such as a mixture or combination into its parts reduce sth to sth
To reduce pounds to pence you multiply by a hundred.把英镑折合成便士,你只需乘上100。
Our chemistry teacher often reduces a compound to its components in lab.在实验室中化学老师常把化合物分解为各种成分。用于 be ～ed 结构
Water can be reduced to oxygen and hydrogen by electrolysis.用电解法可以把水分解为氧和氢。
- reduce a person to reason 使人服理
- reduce the city to a shambles 使城市变成瓦砾
- reduce the loss of blood to a minimum 把失血减少到最低量
- reduce the passage to half the number of words 把这段字数减少到一半
- reduce the size 缩小体积
- reduce easily 容易征服
- reduce gradually 逐步缩小
- reduce greatly 大大减少
- reduce markedly 明显地减少
- reduce materially 大为减少
- reduce necessarily 必要地减少
- reduce sharply 锐减
Potatoes..cooked so long that they have been reduced to a watery flour.出自：F. King
- 当表达“使……不得不”的意思时，更多采用reduce…to doing(动名词)，而很少用动词原形；
- reduce to和reduce by的意义不同。reduce to表示“减少到了”，而后者表示“减少了”，表程度。
- reduce后常接介词by表示“以某幅度减少”或“以…方法减少”; reduce常接介词to表示“减少到…”或“使陷入…状态”。
- reduce by, reduce to
- reduce, decrease, diminish, lessen
这组词都可表示“降低”或“减少”。其区别在于:decrease指各种事物逐渐减少、逐渐衰弱的过程; lessen指减轻强度和减缓烈度,也可指从整体上减去部分或在程度上、数量上的减少; diminish指可以看得出的“缩小”“缩减”; reduce指缩小事物的范围、强度、数量等,也可指级别、地位或经济条件的降低。例如:Decrease the dose of medicine when you feel better.你感到好些就减少药剂用量。The number of fighters had now diminished to two, but the hilltop remained in our hands.现在战士只剩下两个人了,但我们仍然占领着山头。Good lubrication will reduce friction.良好的润滑会减少摩擦。The noise lessened as the plane got further away.飞机逐渐飞远了,噪音也就减弱了。
误 Their salaries were reduced down.
正 Their salaries were reduced.
正 Their salaries were cut down.
- ☆ 14世纪期晚进入英语，直接源自古法语的reducer；最初源自拉丁语的reducere：re (回） + ducere (带，领），意为带回，恢复，撤退。
- reduce:reduce vt. 减少, 缩小, 简化, 还原 英英解释:动词reduce:1. cut down on; make a reduction in同义词：cut down, cut back, t…