- [C]支柱，支柱物 a support placed to hold up sth heavy
- vt. 支撑，支持，维持 support,keep sth from falling
a support placed beneath or against something to keep it from shaking or falling
any movable articles or objects used on the set of a play or movie;
"before every scene he ran down his checklist of props"
a propeller that rotates to push against air
support by placing against something solid or rigid;
"shore and buttress an old building"
- The roof of the tunnel was supported by wooden props.
- Mr. Helton was the hope and the prop of the family.
- He was for several years the main prop and animator of Roosevelt himself.
- Her daughter was the only prop to the old lady during her illness.
- We will now add a prop model with physics properties.
- The wooden prop makes the machine look outdated.
- He propped his bicycle up against the fence.
- The invalid lay propped on the pillows.
- It is not the government's policy to prop up declining industries.
- Governments are also working hard to prop up credit markets.
- A worker put a prop against the wall of the tunnel to keep it from falling.
- He propped his bike against the wall.
- prop up (v.+adv.)
支持，资助help sth that is having difficulties
prop sb/sth ⇔ up
He cannot always expect his sister to prop him up.
The government was accused of propping up declining industries.
- prop up 支撑
- pit prop 1
- prop stand 支架
- mine prop 矿柱
- prop leg 支承式支腿
- adjustable prop 可调支柱,伸缩式支柱...
- prop drawing 回柱
- wooden prop 木支柱
- telescopic prop 可伸缩支柱
- steel prop 钢支柱,铁柱...
- friction prop 摩擦支柱
- prop stay 支柱
- yielding prop 可缩性支柱
- prop pulling 回柱
- anchor prop 固定支柱,锚杆支柱...
- prop root 支柱根
- agit-prop 宣传鼓动
- prop. (=proprano...
- jet-prop 以涡轮螺旋桨推进的客...
- prop-word 【文】代替词...
The boy was the..staff of my age, my very prop.出自：Merchant of Venice , Shakespeare
We use alcohol as a social prop.出自： P. Parish
A tremendous variety of props..garlands, scarfs..baskets of flowers.出自： M. Fonteyn
They make jet trainers and prop trainers.出自：Daily Telegraph
He propped the book before him, and propped his eyelids with his fingers.出自： J. London
He propped up the oars..against the house.出自： J. C. Powys
Content..to lie on the ground propped up on one elbow.出自： P. Roth
- prop, bolster, brace, buttress, maintain, support, sustain
- 这组词的共同意思是“支撑”。其区别在于:support指有基础或基座来承受某物的压力或重量,使其不坍塌或倒下,用于比喻可指能够经受住艰难困苦而不屈服; bolster指用垫枕等支撑物来支撑或承受负荷; brace指用支柱、支架来支住、撑牢某物,使其能抗住压力; buttress指用在建筑物应力点上加扶壁的办法来支住、加固某物,引申指用物质、金钱、事实等来支持某论点; maintain指保持某种状况或状态,给予所需的力量,以防力量、价值等有所损失; prop指支持需要立即加强或加固的事物; sustain强调始终不渝地支撑或保持。例如:
- This matter bolstered up his pride.这件事提高了他的自尊心。
- The struts are firmly braced.构架的支柱很牢固。
- She buttressed her argument with lots of solid facts.她用很多具体事实来支持她的论点。
- The state maintains the highways.政府养护公路。
- She propped up the baby's head by putting her hand behind its neck.她把手放在婴孩的头后,支撑他的头。
- She was sustained by pride in her family.对家庭的自豪感支持着她。