- 给...装铁具， 用铁装备
- 铁的，铁制的 ；铁似的
- [U]铁 common hard silver white metallic element capable of being magnetized and used in various forms
- [C]熨斗 a heavy object with a flat bottom and a handle on top, shaped in a point at the front, which is heated, usually electrically, and used for making cloth and clothes smooth
- [U]坚强,刚强; 冷酷 physical strength or moral firmness or harshness
- vt. & vi. 熨平 make clothing smooth and flat with a hot iron; smooth or press clothing with a hot iron
- a heavy ductile magnetic metallic element; is silver-white in pure form but readily rusts; used in construction and tools and armament; plays a role in the transport of oxygen by the blood
- a golf club that has a relatively narrow metal head
- implement used to brand live stock
- home appliance consisting of a flat metal base that is heated and used to smooth cloth
- extremely robust;
"an iron constitution"
- press and smooth with a heated iron;
"press your shirts"
"she stood there ironing"
- The iron hissed as it pressed the wet cloth.
- They analyzed the ore and found iron in it.
- Tom didn't iron his shirt yesterday.
The iron has lost its magnetic force.
Cast iron is apt to break.
The foundry smelts iron.
Gold is distinct from iron.
This food is deficient in iron.
The assay result of that material is rich in iron.
The production of iron took three years to climb to 500,000 tons.
The small city has its own iron works and gas works.
He was in irons.
An iron has a handle and a flat metal base.
Materials are all washable and none or minimum iron.
She is ironing a shirt with an electric iron.
She quickly withdrew her hand from the hot iron.
Mary has nerves of iron.
In him they saw a leader with a will of iron . They took heart.
It is pitiful to see that the life of an animal in a zoo is spent in an locked iron cage.
She's been ironing all afternoon.
This material irons more easily when it is damp.
I can't iron shirts.
She's ironing his shirt.
John ironed his suit in his bedroom.
Your shirt is already ironed.
- have several irons in the fire
同时有好几件事情要做 be involved in several activities at once
John had a number of irons in the fire, and he managed to keep all of them hot. 约翰要做许多事情,并且设法把它们做得很好。
Don't worry about the failure of Gerald's company, he has several other irons in the fire. 别为杰拉尔德公司的破产而担心,他同时在干好几件事。
- 同时有好几件事情要做 be involved in several activities at once
- iron hand in a velvet glove
外柔内刚; 口蜜腹剑地 ruthlessness that is disguised by an outward appearance of gentleness
I think that she has an iron hand in a velvet glove. 我认为她是一个外柔内刚的人。
Many of the so-called liberal dictators of African nations rule using an iron hand in a velvet glove. 非洲国家的许多所谓自由主义独裁者们往往采用口蜜腹剑的方法进行统治。
- 外柔内刚; 口蜜腹剑地 ruthlessness that is disguised by an outward appearance of gentleness
- man of iron
性格刚强的人 sb with great strength of character
It takes a man of iron to resist some of the temptations that go with an important job like that. 一个意志坚强的人才能抵制住那项重要工作带来的某些诱惑。
- 性格刚强的人 sb with great strength of character
- rule with a rod of iron
严加管理; 控制得很严 govern (sth such as a group) in a very severe way rule sb/sth with a rod of iron
She rules her husband with a rod of iron.她严厉管束她的丈夫。
He ruled the country with a rod of iron.他对国家实行铁腕统治。
The dean ruled his department with a rod of iron.系主任对本系的管理非常严格。
John is ruled by his wife with a rod of iron .约翰被他的妻子严加管束。
A small kingdom ruled by herself with a rod of iron was what she liked.她所喜欢的是一个由她自己实施铁腕统治的小王国。
- 严加管理; 控制得很严 govern (sth such as a group) in a very severe way rule sb/sth with a rod of iron
- strike while the iron is hot
趁热打铁 take an opportunity while it presents itself
He wanted a quick decision so I decided to strike while the iron was hot and told him I accepted his terms. 他希望当机立断,因此,我决定趁热打铁,对他说我接受他的条件。
- 趁热打铁 take an opportunity while it presents itself
- with an iron hand
Keven rules his family with an iron hand and even his wife seems afraid of him at times. 凯温以铁腕统治他的家庭,结果连他的妻子有时似乎也怕他。
- 严厉地 ruthlessly
- iron out (v.+adv.)
熨平 flatten cloth or folds in cloth with a hot iron iron sth ⇔ out
She ironed out all the creases in the shirt.她熨平了衬衣上的所有皱褶。
I shall have to iron out the creases in this dress.我得把这件连衣裙上的皱痕熨平。
I always iron out the folds in new sheets, so that they are more comfortable to sleep in.我总是把新床单的褶子熨平,这样躺上去就更舒服了。
He offered to iron out the wrinkles in her dress.他提出,要替她熨平衣服上的褶皱。
She tried hard to iron out the wrinkles over her blouse.她费了很大的力气才把上衣上的皱纹熨平。
解决,处理; 消除 remove or find an answer to sth; eliminate iron out sth
It didnt take long to iron out the difficulties.没多久,困难解决了。
The directors are trying to iron out the difficulties connected with the new contract.董事们在设法解决新合同带来的种种困难。
The House and Senate ironed out the differences between their two tax bills.众议院和参议院消除了他们两个不同的税收提案中的分歧。
They are experts at ironing out the problems that arise at international gatherings.他们专门处理国际性集会上出现的问题。
The purpose of this conference is to iron out the misunderstandings between the two sides.这次会议的目的是消除双方之间的误会。
It's time we ironed out the causes of the disagreement once and for all.现在是我们彻底消除引起我们之间不和的原因的时候了。用于 be ～ed 结构
The problem should have been ironed out months ago.几个月前,这个问题就该解决了。
Their misunderstandings were ironed out after a long talk.经过长时间的交谈,他们之间的误会已经消除。
There are no difficulties that cannot be ironed out if both parties are determined to reach an agreement.只要双方都决心达成协议,什么困难都可以解决。
I thought most of our problems were ironed out.我认为,我们的大多数问题都已解决。
- 熨平 flatten cloth or folds in cloth with a hot iron iron sth ⇔ out
- attract iron 吸引铁
- cast iron 铸铁
- collect iron 收集铁
- contain iron 含铁
- forge iron 打铁
- hammer iron 打铁
- have many irons in the fire 同时要做的事太多
- lay every iron in the fire 使用种种手段
- melt iron 熔化铁
- mine iron 开采铁矿
- mould iron 铸铁
- plug in an iron 使熨斗插上插头
- press with iron 用熨斗熨烫
- put all irons in the fire 使用种种手段
- put sb in irons 给某人上镣铐
- roll iron 轧铁,卷铁板
- smelt iron 炼铁
- strike iron 打铁
- unplug an iron 给熨斗拔掉电源插头
- use iron 用熨斗
- wear leg irons 戴脚镣
- branding iron 烙铁,火印
- cast iron 铸铁
- climbing iron (登山靴上的)铁钉助爬器,上杆脚扣
- curling iron 烫发钳
- fire irons 炉子的生火用具
- pig iron 生铁
- scrap iron 废铁
- sheet iron 铁板
- steam iron 蒸气熨斗
- in iron 从事铁业
- worker in iron 铁匠
- in irons 戴着镣铐
- man of iron 意志坚强的人,严酷无情的人
- rule with a rod of iron 施行高压政策
- with iron 用熨斗熨烫
Meddle you must, that's certain, or forswear to wear iron about you.出自：Twelfth Night,Shakespeare
What if Trade..thatch with towns the prairie broad With railways ironed o'er.出自：R. W. Emerson
We had to take our clogs to be 'ironed'.出自：Lancashire Life
- 用于比喻, iron还可作“坚强,刚强; 冷酷”解,是不可数名词。
- in iron, in irons
两者意思不同:in iron的意思是“从事铁业”; 而in irons的意思是“戴着镣铐”。例如:
- He is a worker in iron.
- When the earl reached the castle,his legs were put in irons.
- 那位伯爵到了城堡后,双脚就被套上 了镣铐。
- irons, fetters, handcuffs
这三个词都可表示刑具。其区别在于: irons 主要指“脚镣或手铐”; fetters则专指“脚镣”; handcuffs常指“手铐”。例如:The prisoner was put in irons.那个罪犯被戴上了镣铐。The black leader was in fetters behind the bars.这位黑人领袖在铁窗里,戴着脚镣。Handcuffs were put on her wrists when the arrest warrant was shown to her.给她看了逮捕证,随即给她戴上手铐。
- the Iron 铁器时代
- Iron Age (希腊与罗马神话中的)黑铁时代
- iron age (人类的)颓废时期
误 Iron and steel industry are developing.
正 Iron and steel industry is developing.
误 Iron and steel outputs is increasing.
正 Iron and steel outputs are increasing.
析 iron and steel作为一个固定短语“钢铁”,不管是作复合名词还是作形容词,动词都要用单数; 但如果把iron和steel作为两个不同的内涵,就要求用复数动词。
误 She ironed the wrinkles in her dress.
正 She ironed out the wrinkles in her dress.
析 动词iron指“熨烫衣物”,后接表示衣物、服装类的名词作宾语。但要表示“借熨烫把褶皱除去”,应该用iron out。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的iasrn，意为铁。
- iron:iron n. 铁, 熨斗, 坚强, 烙铁, 镣铐vt. 烫平, 熨, 用铁装备vi. 烫衣服习惯用语as hard as iron 铁一样坚硬; 十分严厉; 十分残酷barking iron [美俚…