- v. 推翻；打倒；颠覆；[体]高投
- n. 推翻；瓦解；颠覆；[体]高投
- vt. 打倒,推翻 defeat, especially using force; remove from a position of power
- [S]推翻,终止,结束 act of overthrowing; defeat
the termination of a ruler or institution (especially by force)
the act of disturbing the mind or body;
"his carelessness could have caused an ecological upset"
"she was unprepared for this sudden overthrow of their normal way of living"
cause the downfall of; of rulers;
"The Czar was overthrown"
"subvert the ruling class"
"The Republicans were overruled when the House voted on the bill"
- They attempted to overthrow the monarch.
- They were plotting the overthrow of the government.
- The big Sam absolutely has the strength to overthrow Jerry.
- Indeed,the day when this gigantic net is formed will undoubtedly be the day of the complete overthrow of Japanese imperialism.
- They plotted to overthrow the government.
- The shortstop overthrew first base, allowing a run to be scored.
- They schemed for the overthrow of the government .
- The overthrow of the regime is followed by a period of anarchy.
- The overthrow of a government by those who are governed.
- He was the commander of a vast shadowy army, an underground network of conspirators dedicated to the overthrow of the State.
- They overthrew their King.
- The army had lawlessly overthrown the democratic government of this country.
- He stumbled and overthrew the chair.
- Laws are openly violated; standards of behavior are overthrown.
- The cart and fruit were overthrown by a speeding car.
- The trees were all overthrown by the windstorm.
- The city was overthrown by a great fire in 1933.
- After the overthrow of the government, the country was in chaos.
- The revolution caused the overthrow of the autocracy.
- overthrow king 推翻国王
- overthrow government 推翻政府
- overthrow car 撞翻了汽车
- overthrow chair 打翻了椅子
- overthrow a tree 刮倒了一棵树
- overthrow brutally 野蛮地推翻
- overthrow completely 彻底推翻
- overthrow decisively 果断地推翻
- overthrow illegally〔lawlessly〕 非法地推翻
- overthrow passionately 激情地推翻
- overthrow victoriously 胜利地推翻
- overthrow vindictively 有报复心地推翻
- overthrow by 被…推翻
- the final overthrow 最终覆灭
In favour of war and of the overthrow of the established order.出自： S. Hastings
The violent..overthrow of the Ceausescus in Romania.出自：World Monitor
One who is already prostrate cannot be overthrown.出自： B. Jowett
- overthrow, subvert
- overthrow强调用力量、暴力等手段彻底“打败,推翻,摧毁”某物; 而subvert则指用破坏支柱、削弱基础等手段“颠覆”有实际价值的东西,常含有“破坏,腐蚀”的意思。