- n. 义务；责任
- [U][C]义务,责任 a condition or influence that makes it necessary for sb to do sth; a duty
the social force that binds you to the courses of action demanded by that force;
"we must instill a sense of duty in our children"
"every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity, an obligation; every possession, a duty"
the state of being obligated to do or pay something;
"he is under an obligation to finish the job"
a personal relation in which one is indebted for a service or favor
a written promise to repay a debt
a legal agreement specifying a payment or action and the penalty for failure to comply
- We are invited, but we are under no obligation to go.
- Some people suggest that the old people's children have the obligation to look after their old parents.
- I have an obligation to keep secret for the taxpayer.
- A good citizen has certain obligation to society.
- His social obligation compels him to make a round of visits.
- under an obligation
有义务being compelled by law, etc.
be under an obligation to sth
She is under an obligation to her adoptive mother.
她有义务赡养她的养母。be under an obligation to-v
Every player is under an obligation to keep the rules.
每个选手都必须遵守这些规则。lay〔place〕 sb/sth under an obligation
The court laid the young thief under an obligation to report to the police station once a week.
Their frequent invitation places us under an obligation to invite them to our house for a change.
- under no obligation
没有义务not being compelled by law, etc.
under no obligation to-v
I'm under no obligation to do it.
- acknowledge obligations 表示感谢
- fulfil〔meet, perform〕 an obligation 履行义务
- lay〔place〕 an obligation on sb 使…承担义务
- repay an obligation 报恩
- undertake an obligation 承担义务
- legal〔moral〕 obligation 法律〔道德〕上的义务
- mutual obligation 相互的义务
- social obligation 社会义务
- international obligation 国际义务
- solemn obligation 庄严义务
- written obligations 书面契约
A valid obligation could not be made with the Court of Rome without communication with the Pope.出自： G. B. Smith
- obligation, duty
- 这两个词都指“义务”, duty多指“永远的义务”,如duty to one's country; obligation指临时性或一次性的义务,如obligation to wipe the car。
- obligation, responsibility
- obligation仅指对他人应尽的职责和义务,没有对自己应尽的责任的含意; responsibility则指一个人必须对后果负责的职责或义务。
- ☆ 直接源自古法语的obligacion，意为义务；最初源自拉丁语的obligationem，意为约定。