anything added to fill out a whole;
"some of the items in the collection are mere makeweights"
a weight added to the scale to reach a required weight
- The Diavoli may now use Grimi as a makeweight in negotiations for Patricio this summer.
- It was unclear last night whether Wesley Sneijder, Real's attacking midfield player, would be used as a makeweight in the prospective transfer.
- It had been reported in Germany that Reds manager Rafa Benitez was prepared to offer Dutch winger Ryan Babel as the makeweight in any potential deal.
- A move to Inter would, however, allow the Argentine to play in the Champions League next year and the Nerazzurri are willing to offer Walter Samuel as a makeweight.
- However, Cruz's agent, Jorge Czysterpiller, insists the Argentine will be staying at Inter next season - which could lead to Adriano instead being offered to Porto as a makeweight.
- Reports had claimed that Saha could have been used as a makeweight in any deal, or sold to raise additional funds, but the former Fulham ace will now start on another road back to fitness.
- make weight 添加物