- n. 图形；数字；外形；体型；形状；人物；塑像；图表；（冰上表演动作的）花样
- v. 是重要部分；认为；演算；领会到
- [C]数字 written symbol for a number
- [C]图解,图表 diagram or illustration
- [C]装饰性的图案 decorative pattern or series of movements
- [C](绘画中的)人或动物的像,画像,肖像 representation of a person or an animal in drawing, painting, etc.
- [C]轮廓,人影,身材,体态,风姿 human form, especially its appearance, what itsuggests, and how it is seen by others
- [P]算数,计算 arithmetic
- vt. & vi. 出现,提及 appear or be mentioned, especially prominently
- vt. 估计,有可能 think; be likely or understandable
- vt. & vi. 计算在内 include sth in one's calculations
a diagram or picture illustrating textual material;
"the area covered can be seen from Figure 2"
alternative names for the body of a human being;
"Leonardo studied the human body"
"he has a strong physique"
"the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak"
one of the elements that collectively form a system of numeration;
"0 and 1 are digits"
a model of a bodily form (especially of a person);
"he made a figure of Santa Claus"
a well-known or notable person;
"they studied all the great names in the history of France"
"she is an important figure in modern music"
a combination of points and lines and planes that form a visible palpable shape
an amount of money expressed numerically;
"a figure of $17 was suggested"
the impression produced by a person;
"he cut a fine figure"
"a heroic figure"
the property possessed by a sum or total or indefinite quantity of units or individuals;
"he had a number of chores to do"
"the number of parameters is small"
"the figure was about a thousand"
language used in a figurative or nonliteral sense
a unitary percept having structure and coherence that is the object of attention and that stands out against a ground
a decorative or artistic work;
"the coach had a design on the doors"
a predetermined set of movements in dancing or skating;
"she made the best score on compulsory figures"
judge to be probable
be or play a part of or in;
"Elections figure prominently in every government program"
"How do the elections figure in the current pattern of internal politics?"
imagine; conceive of; see in one's mind;
"I can't see him on horseback!"
"I can see what will happen"
"I can see a risk in this strategy"
make a mathematical calculation or computation
"He didn't figure her"
- Our textbook has many figures to help explain the lessons.
- The figure is expressed as a percentage.
- He has a more angular figure than his father.
- I like the color of the hat instead of its figure.
- Mahatma Gandhi was both a political and a religious figure in Indian history.
- The mass of clay was worked up into a reclining figure.
- The format of the figure is very tasteful.
- The figure skater glided gracefully over the ice.
- My feelings about the matter didn't seem to figure at all.
- They figured it was better to stay where they were.
- The boy can't figure out the algebra problems.
- How do you figure that?
- The above figure did not include workers.
- The approximate figure is 40, while the exact number is 38.
- These figures are not consistent with the results obtained in previous experiment.
- Those figures indicate why the Black live in such deep poverty.
- Recent figures show other occupational cancer risks.
- Let's add up the figures.
- Will you check these figures?
- He settled down at his desk to work out the exact figures.
- Her income is in five figures.
- They're asking a high figure for their house.
- We bought the house at a high figure.
- The coin bears the figure of the first president of the country.
- They are standing by the seated figure of Shakespeare.
- The frost made bizarre figures on the window panes.
- The girl is skillful at figure skating.
- A sculptor may see different figures implicit in a block of stone.
- I could see the figure of a woman against the window.
- I saw a figure approaching in the darkness.
- I made out three figures moving in the distance.
- I could see a figure in the distance, but I couldn't make out who it was.
- A figure loomed up out of the mist.
- The girl has a good figure but a plain face.
- She had an excellent figure and walked with an air.
- Everybody of us admires her slender figure.
- He's doing exercises to improve his figure.
- The central figure in the painting is the artist's daughter.
- The Prime Minister is the central figure in the government.
- He is an outstanding figure in politics.
- He was a picturesque figure with his long beard and strange old clothes.
- He's a controversial figure.
- He was a key figure in the independence struggle.
- The incident made her a national figure.
- She was a mother figure for him.
- His political activity made him a powerful figure in Russian culture.
- Are you good at figures?
- His name figured among the guests.
- You must figure accurately and quickly.
- The bookkeeper figured well.
- The child is learning to figure.
- Roger figured as chief guest at the party.
- The photograph had figured as part of the evidence in the trial.
- Figure the total and I'll pay it with a check.
- That is how I figured it.
- The total expenses are figured at 95 yuan .
- We figured that he would arrive at around two o'clock.
- Figuring that we would come soon, the enemy fled in disorder.
- I figured that you wouldn't come.
- I figured that you'd want to see me about it.
- We figure he'll be back very soon.
- I figure he is ready.
- I figured it was no use trying.
- They figured it was better to stay where they were.
- I figured him an honest man.
- They figured themselves quite well-off.
- She figures it to be true.
- cut a figure
露出…相,给人以…形象 have a fine, etc. appearance
- go the big figure
彻底地干,干到底 do sth completely
- in round figures
以整数计算 calculate sth with a whole figure
- figure in1 (v.+adv.)
〈美口〉包括进,算进(某项开支等) include sth in one's calculations
figure sth ⇔ in
I forgot to figure in our travel expenses in the account.
He forgot to figure in occasional expenses in the budget.
I figured in our train tickets but forgot the bus fares.
Have you figured in the cost of the hotel?
- figure in2 (v.+prep.)
占据重要位置 be prominent
- figure on (v.+prep.)
计划 include sth in one's plans
figure on v-ing
We did not figure on having so many people at the picnic.
You had better figure on running into heavy traffic while leaving the city.
你最好估计到出城时碰上车辆拥挤。figure on sth/v-ing
You can't figure on the results of the election.
He's a person you can always figure on his help.
We figure on your support.
Don't figure on the weather being fine for your party.
别满心指望你举行聚会时天气会好转。figure on (sb) to-v
We can figure on him to join the work.
He is a person we can always figure on to complete his jobs.
他是一个我们经常可以指望其完成任务的人。figure on v-ing
I figure on going over to town to do my shopping.
I figure on going over to town to pay a visit.
I have never figured on buying an expensive camera.
Do you figure on staying long in this city?
He figures on spending his vacation in August.
I figure on being in New York in January.
How soon are you figuring on getting married?
- figure out (v.+adv.)
弄明白 come to understand sb/sth by thinking
The purchase price figures out at about two million U.S. dollars.
交易的价格计算在200万美元左右。figure sth ⇔ out
That's a hard puzzle; I can't figure it out.
It would be difficult to figure out the losses at this time.
Father is trying to figure out his tax.
Please help me to figure out my income tax.
Could you help me figure out this problem?
Just figure it out yourself.
The farmers figured a way out in the irrigation project.
农民们想出个办法来解决灌溉规划上的一项困难。figure out wh-clause
Let's go and figure out how much we have to pay for the project.
I'm figuring out how much these new buildings may cost.
Have you figured out how much during the holiday you will cost?
你算出假期得花多少钱了吗?figure sb/sth ⇔ out
I just can't figure him out.
I've never been able to figure him out.
I couldn't figure the question out.
我弄不明白这个问题。figure out wh-clause
I can't figure out what he was hinting at.
Have you figured out what's wrong with your car?
I can't figure out why he quit his job.
It's difficult to figure out why she did it.
很难理解她为什么那么做。figure out wh-to-v
I didn't figure out how to do it.
- figure to (v.+prep.)
figure to oneself
I try to figure to myself what would have happened if I hadn't seen the other car coming on the wrong side of the road.
我极力在想,要是我没有看到对面开错了道的那辆车,那会发生什么事啊。figure sth to oneself
Figure the result to yourself, and you'll see what I mean.
Figure the situation to yourself, what can I do?
Figure to yourself a happy family, secure in your own home.
- figure up (v.+adv.)
〈美口〉计算,(把…)加起来 add up
figure sth ⇔ up
Ask the waiter to figure our bill up,I want to leave.
请服务员把账单算好,我要走了。figure up to sth
The bill figures up to $37.78.
账单上数目总计达37.78美元。figure up wh-clause
Please figure up how much I'd pay for all these.
I can't figure up what he meant to say.
- add up figure 加数字
- ask figure 要价
- check figure 核对数字
- name figure 说出价格
- publish figure 公布数字
- quote figure 引用数字
- work out figure 得出数字
- actual figure 实际数字
- amazing figure 惊人的数字
- approximate figure 大约的数字
- available figure 可得到的数字
- big figure 大数字
- complete figure 完全的统计数字
- conservative figure 保守的统计数字
- precise figure 准确的数字
- figure little 无足轻重
- figure well 擅长计算
- figure accurately 准确计算
- figure briefly 昙花一现
- figure importantly 占重要位置
- figure largely 非常突出
- figure prominently 占显赫地位
- figure quickly 迅速计算
- figure out 合计,领会到,计算出,解决
- figure up 计算,把…加起来
- figure on 把…估计在内,考虑,计划,指望
A geometrical figure on the blackboard.出自： A. Koestler
The Greeks figured Pan..stamping his foot.出自： R. L. Stevenson
There are two series of windows, one figuring the..followers of Louis VIII.出自： H. Adams
- cut a figure在作“露出…相”解时, figure前常加形容词。
- figure用作名词时,可表示“轮廓”,由此转化为动词,意为“出现”,常与介词in连用,强调“引人注目”“占据重要位置”。也可表示对某事的预测,即“估计,有可能”。在美国口语中, figure可表示“计算在内”,含有计算工作艰苦,负担很重的意味。这时常与介词in连用。
- 在非正式英语中, figure可表示“认为”“料想”,这时多接that从句作宾语,也可接以“(to be/as+) n./adj. ”充当补足语的复合宾语。
- figure on是美国口语,意为“指望”“信赖”“打算干”,其后可接动词不定式,也可接动名词。
- 在美国口语中还可说figure up,意为“把…加起来”。
figure out和figure up意思相近，在美国英语中解释为“计算”或“估计”。
They have figured out(up) how much would be required.
- figure on在美国英语中则解释为“估计到”或“指望”。
- figure, body
- 这两个词意思不同:body指体格, figure指体形。试比较下列两句:
- He has a good body.
- He has a good figure.
- figure, form, shape
- form可特指某事物的具体组成结构、形式、体制; 而shape则强调人或物的整个外形,还可特指模糊的、朦胧的形状; 当指人的体形时, form强调“体形,躯体”; figure指人体外部线条构成的“轮廓”; shape强调“身影”; form还可指诗、文、曲的体裁、格式,而shape不能这样用。例如:
- My garden is in the shape of a square.我的园子是方形的。
- There were clouds of different shapes.有各种形态的云。
- I made out two dim shapes in the dark.黑暗中我隐约辨出两个模糊的影子。
- The figure of a girl fills out at puberty.姑娘的身段在青春期变得丰满起来。
- The gown showed off her lovely figure.那件睡衣显露出她优美的身段。
- She has a good figure.
- She is very good at figure.
- figure, add, sum up, total
- 2.sum up强调计算的总数,常用于抽象意义,意思是“总结”“概括”。例如:
- Many members spoke at the meeting, and finally the chairman summed up the discussion.许多成员在会上发了言,最后主席总结了这次讨论。
- You have only 100 words in which to sum up his speech.你只能用100字来概括他的讲话。
- I figured in our train tickets but forgot the bus fares.我把火车票算进去却把公共汽车费忘了。
- The little girl doesn't know how to add yet.这小女孩还不懂如何做加法。
- If the tea is too strong, add some hot water. 要是茶太浓,可加点开水。
误 She is so poor at figure that she has to have an accountant to take care of her income taxes.
正 She is so poor at figures that she has to have an accountant to take care of her income taxes.我很幸运以低价买进了这只花瓶。
误 I was lucky to have bought this vase at a low figures.
正 I was lucky to have bought this vase at a low figure.
误 Have you figured on there will be a transport strike the day you leave?
正 Have you figured on there being a transport strike the day you leave?
析 figure on短语表示“估计到”“指望”“打算”,后面通常跟名词、代词或动名词,一般不跟从句。
- ☆ 13世纪初期进入英语，直接源自古法语的figure，意为形状，形式，图形；最初源自原始印欧语的dheigh，意为形成，构成。