- [C]卵,蛋 oval object from which young are hatched, laid by birds, reptiles, insects, etc. and usually covered by a thin hard shell
- [U]蛋,鸡蛋 this, especially from a hen, used as food
- animal reproductive body consisting of an ovum or embryo together with nutritive and protective envelopes; especially the thin-shelled reproductive body laid by e.g. female birds
- oval reproductive body of a fowl (especially a hen) used as food
- one of the two male reproductive glands that produce spermatozoa and secrete androgens;
"she kicked him in the balls and got away"
- throw eggs at
- coat with beaten egg;
"egg a schnitzel"
- The egg nestled in the long grass.
- The black hen lays an egg a day.
- The tadpole hatches from the egg.
- The egg hatches into a larva (caterpillar).
- You start your life in an egg like this.
- Chocolate egg is traditionally eat on Easter day.
- Egg mayonnaise is made with mayonnaise and hard-boiled eggs.
- Don't let him egg you on--you shouldn't take any notice of him.
- Don't egg him on to play a trick on others.
- Why do you egg him on to do what you won't do yourself?
The blackbird's nest contained four eggs.
The hen laid a large brown egg.
Birds come from eggs.
Fish lay eggs.
He went to the store to get a dozen eggs.
You've got egg all down your tie.
He spilled a bit of egg on his shoe.
- bad egg
〈口〉坏家伙,混蛋 black sheep
The judge sentenced the bad egg to death. 法官判这个混蛋死刑。
失败的计划 failed plan
The scheme was a bad egg. 计划失败了。
- 〈口〉坏家伙,混蛋 black sheep
- bread the egg in sb's pocket
打破某人的(计划) break sb's plan
He bears my grudges, because I broke the egg in his pocket. 他对我怀恨在心,因为我打破了他的计划。
- 打破某人的(计划) break sb's plan
- good egg
〈口〉好人 good man
He is a good egg,I'm sure you will like him once you get to know him. 他是个好人,如果你跟他混熟了,肯定会喜欢他。
He is really a good egg. If only he didn't have such a short fuse. 他的确是个好人,如果他不那么容易发火就好了。
- 〈口〉好人 good man
- goose egg
It was a tie game.Both teams ended up with goose eggs. 这场比赛打个平局,两队比分是零比零。
- (体育比赛或考试成绩)零分 zero
- have egg on one's face
出丑,丢脸 lose face
She doesn't let him have egg on his face in public. 她没有让他当众出丑。
- 出丑,丢脸 lose face
- kill the goose that laid the golden egg
贪婪过度,弄坏好事 be too greedy to do sth
Mrs. Johns gives you an apple from her tree whenever you go by her home, but don't kill the goose that laid the golden egg by bothering her too much. 每当你路过约翰斯太太家,她总从树上摘个苹果给你,但你不要贪婪过度断了此事。
- 贪婪过度,弄坏好事 be too greedy to do sth
- lay an egg
不受听众欢迎,完全失败 be not population, fail completely
His joke laid an egg. 他的笑话无法使人发笑。
Sometimes he is a successful speaker, but sometimes he lays an egg. 有时他是一个成功的演讲者,但有时却不受听众欢迎。
As a movie director he is generally very successful, but he sure laid an egg this time. 作为电影导演,他一向是非常成功的,可是这一回他失败了。
- 不受听众欢迎,完全失败 be not population, fail completely
- put〔have〕 all one's eggs in one basket
孤注一掷 stake all on a single attempt
To buy stock in a single company is to put all your eggs in one basket. 买一家股票是孤注一掷。
With only one good pitcher this season,I'm afraid we have all our eggs in one basket. 在这个季节里,我们队里只有一名好投手,胜败如何,全在他一人手里了。
- 孤注一掷 stake all on a single attempt
- teach one's grandmother to such eggs
班门弄斧 show off to the teacher
He is always telling the director how to run the business that's like teaching his grandmother to such eggs. 他总是告诉上司怎样经营生意,简直是班门弄斧。
- 班门弄斧 show off to the teacher
- beat an egg 打鸡蛋,搅鸡蛋
- boil an egg 煮鸡蛋
- break an egg 打碎鸡蛋
- break the eggs in sb's pocket 打破某人的计划
- candle eggs 对光检查蛋是否新鲜
- cook an egg 煮鸡蛋
- eat an egg 吃鸡蛋
- fry an egg 炸鸡蛋
- have all one's eggs in one basket 孤注一掷
- have egg on one's face 丢脸,出丑
- lay an egg 下蛋
- place an egg 放鸡蛋
- produce eggs 下蛋,产蛋
- put all one's eggs in one basket 孤注一掷
- egg whites 蛋白
- in the egg 尚在初期的,未成熟的
They are up already and call for eggs and butter.出自：1 Henry IV,Shakespeare
I egged him on...It wasn't his fault.出自：B. Bainbridge
- egg还可作“蛋”“鸡蛋”解,指用作食物的蛋,即打开壳供烹调用的蛋,是不可数名词,可用a bit of egg表示“一点蛋” 。
误 Chicken are hatched from egg.
正 Chicken are hatched from eggs.
- ☆ 14世纪中期进英入语，直接源自中古英语的eggs；最初源自古挪威语的egg，意为蛋。
- egg:egg n. 蛋, 鸡蛋, 卵v. 怂恿, 怂恿 英英解释:名词egg:1. animal reproductive body consisting of an ovum or embryo toge…