- vt. 力劝; 敦促 request earnestly; try to persuade; strongly recommend
- vt. 鼓励; 极力主张 encourage or stimulate sb to do sth
- vt. 驱策,促使 drive or force forward
an instinctive motive;
"profound religious impulses"
a strong restless desire;
"why this urge to travel?"
force or impel in an indicated direction;
"I urged him to finish his studies"
push for something;
"The travel agent recommended strongly that we not travel on Thanksgiving Day"
spur on or encourage especially by cheers and shouts;
"The crowd cheered the demonstrating strikers"
- He urged the horses on with a whip.
- Many physicians urge aerobic exercise.
- We will urge them to adhere to the Paris Agreement.
- They urged on us the need for cooperation.
- I strongly urge you to give up smoking.
- He urged against the adoption of the measure.
- I feel the urge to be outside when spring comes again.
- An urge to improve society led me into politics.
- When the urge to create a cellar happens it's usually at the beginning of your wine appreciation career.
- He urges his sister's study.
- He urged the necessity for immediate action.
- He urged leaving.
- She urged my going to see him immediately.
- We urged that the bill should be passed.
- “Face facts!”he urged.
- We all urged him to go ahead with his plan.
- Your progress will urge us to work hard.
- urge against (v.+prep.)
urge against sth
The senator urged against the adoption of the measure.
- urge along (v.+adv.)
激励encourage to great effort
urge sb ⇔ along
We did have to urge the students along in the last few weeks before their examination.
- urge on1 (v.+adv.)
催促…向前,驱赶…向前 encourage sb or an animal to move ahead
urge sb/sth ⇔ on
You must urge the children on or we'll never get home.
He urged the horse on with a whip.
- urge on2 (v.+prep.)
以鼓励的办法向(某人)灌输(某种思想等) try to force (sth such as an idea) on sb by encouragement
urge sth on sb
The teacher urged on her students the examination.
- urge to (v.+prep.)
鼓励(某人)朝着(某方向努力) encourage sb in the direction of action
urge sb to sth
What can we do to urge these lazy workers to greater production?
- urge upon the necessity 强调重要性
Let me urge the point...The implied differentiation is of the essence.出自： G. Steiner
He urged her to go, but she refused.
I urge that he do (NOT does) his best.
- ☆ 1560年进入英语，直接源自古典拉丁语的urgere，意为用力按，推，驱赶。