- [C]庭院,院子 unroofed space partially or completely enclosed by wall or building
an area wholly or partly surrounded by walls or buildings;
"the house was built around an inner court"
- The courtyard was shaded by high trees.
- Rise at dawn and sweep the courtyard.
- The hotel is built round a courtyard, with fountain and palm tree.
- These bricks are to pave the courtyard.
- The children always racket about in the courtyard.
- This gate leads into the courtyard.
- They cemented the courtyard.
- I watched the boys playing in the courtyard.