- [C] 院子 enclosed or partly enclosed space near or round a building or group of buildings, often paved
- [U] 码 unit of length equal to 3 feet or 0.9144 metre
- a unit of length equal to 3 feet; defined as 91.44 centimeters; originally taken to be the average length of a stride
- the enclosed land around a house or other building;
"it was a small house with almost no yard"
- a tract of land enclosed for particular activities (sometimes paved and usually associated with buildings);
"they opened a repair yard on the edge of town"
- the cardinal number that is the product of 10 and 100
- a unit of volume (as for sand or gravel)
- a tract of land where logs are accumulated
- an area having a network of railway tracks and sidings for storage and maintenance of cars and engines
- a long horizontal spar tapered at the end and used to support and spread a square sail or lateen
- an enclosure for animals (as chicken or livestock)
- We planted some elms in the yard.
- Her carriage was the most beautiful one in the yard.
- He parked his car in the yard.
- His quiet home sits back in his yard.
- The trees formed a canopy over the yard.
- Three feet make one yard.
- Cloth is sold by the yard.
Our yard is spacious enough for a swimming pool.
There is a neat yard with a fence around it.
Each individual house has its own yard.
Our house has a garden at the front and a yard at the back.
You cannot park the car in the front yard.
There are some trees in the yard.
The children are playing in the yard.
I walked out into the yard and through the gate.
When the goods arrived they were left in the railway goods yards.
I work in the railroad yard.
We play games in the school yard.
His photographic memory enabled him to tuck away yards of facts.
Can you still buy cloth by the yard in Britain?
He was standing under a tree about ten yards away.
We need three yards of sand.
- back yard 后庭院
- beautiful yard 美丽的庭院
- big yard 大院子,大庭院
- clean yard 清洁的庭院
- front yard 前庭院
- large yard 大院子
- marshalling yard (铁路)停车场,调车场
- square yard 平方码
- bee yard 养蜂场
- cattle yard 放牲畜的空地,牲畜栏
- chicken yard 养鸡场
- farm yard 农场
- goods yard 货物堆放场
- navy yard 〈美〉海军造船厂
- play yard 游戏场
- poultry yard 家禽养殖场
- prison yard 监狱院子
- railroad yard 〈美〉火车调车场
- railway yard 〈英〉火车调车场
- school yard 校园
- ship yard 造船场
- enclose in a yard 围入庭院内
- play in the yard 在院子里玩
- walk into the yard 走进院子
- by the yard 按码(计算)
- measure by the yard 按码量
- within a few yards 离这儿几码远
The railway line..was perfectly straight for a distance of over 700 yards.出自：Law Times
She bought a few yards of quilted fabric.出自：Yankee
- yard作“码”解时,是一种老式量度单位,用以表示长度、宽度、高度或深度,等于3英尺或36英寸或0.9144公尺,可略作yd.或yds.; yard与2以上的数词连用时有时可用其单数形式表示复数意义。
- yard还可用作及物动词,意为“把家畜或家禽赶进围栏”。例如:He always helps his mother (to) yard the chickens and the ducks after supper.晚饭后他总是帮助他妈妈把鸡鸭赶进围栏里。
- yard, garden
这两个名词的共同意思是“园,院子”。其区别在于:garden指“花园”等植物的园,用复数时,也可表示“公园”; yard指房子前后的“院子”,房子与房子之间的“天井”“庭院”,也指家畜、家禽的围栏,圈栏等。例如:The garden needs cleaning up.这花园需要打扫整理。You can play outside, but you must not leave the yard.你可以在外面玩,但不能离开院子。
误 We buy cloth by a yard in England, not by the metre.
误 We buy cloth by yards in England, not by the metre.
正 We buy cloth by the yard in England, not by the metre.
析 英语中表示尺度或量度时,习惯用“by the+名词单数”结构。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的gerad，意为圈起来的花园。
- YARD:Youth Affairs Research and Development (Australia)青年事务研究和开发(澳大利亚)
- YARD:Yet Another Rescue Disc另一个抢救盘
- YARD:Young Americans for Reed Davis年轻的美国人对里德·戴维斯
- yard:yard n. 院子, 码 英英解释:名词yard:1. a unit of length equal to 3 feet; defined as 91.44 centimeters; origina…